Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Monday, September 8, 2014

Newport 2



Hello, dear friends.  We have a gorgeous, crisp day here in the Northeast.  I just got back from dropping Chowdah off for a little "altering" operation.  I then felt so guilty I stopped by the store and bought him $30.00 worth of bones and toys.  The doctor told me to take him out on a leash to relieve himself and do the best to keep him quiet for the next 10-14 days.  Poor Chow, there is nobody who loves the independence of having an invisible fence more than him.  I have a feeling that the next couple of weeks are going to be challenging, to say the least.

Anywho, if you missed Part 1 of our Newport excursion, you can find it here.

After lunch and shopping, we decided to hop in the car and visit one of the mansions.  I snapped a few pics en route.








When I was younger and visited Newport,  Rosecliff  was my favorite mansion.  It was built in 1898 - the same year, coincidentally, that our new/old home was built.  The similarities end there, though.





Rosecliff was commissioned by silver heiress Theresa Fair Oelrichs in 1899.  It is built in an "H" shape.  My imaginary boyfriend, Bob Redford, filmed scenes from "The Great Gatsby" there.




There's some movie stars right over there!



Last time I was there, about a hundred years ago, the tours were conducted by guides.  Now they give you head phones and a radio to hang around your neck so that you can take the tour independently.  
I kind of missed a perky, control freak, tour guide pushing me around but what can you do...



We were not allowed to take photos inside but I snuck my camera in anyway.  
Only kidding!  
I got these pics on line.  Somebody else broke the rules - not me.








I wonder if this is a statue of one of the Monroes?  They must have been very popular in the 'hood.


Great yard for a barbecue!






Rosecliff can be rented out for weddings for a mere $10,000.  That's just the rental of the space - nothing included.  You better be fairly certain the marriage is going to work if you invest in a wedding here.  
  

The Mister photo bombing the movie stars' pic.




I snapped this pic for my good buddy, Judy, in McKinney.  She is a graduate of this gorgeous college, Salve Regina University.  Can you imagine going to school in such a scenic town?  Forget going to the library.  I would have been out on the waterfront lawn daydreaming that I was the lady of the manor.
  


We drove home and then went to one of my favorite places for dinner.  Scituate Harbor is sprinkled with great restaurants and shops on the water.









Aww... young love.



Guess what I bought in Newport.  Hint:  it wasn't a mansion.



Have a great day!




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

15 comments:

  1. You have such beautiful area to explore. Texas is great, but there is something special about being on the coast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece graduated from Salve Regina...I attended as I am her godmother...it was held on the lawn next door to the Breakers...I couldn't believe her dorm was a mansion...crazy....I love Newport and the shopping...food is outstanding also. Love driving by the beach club... since I am not a member I can only wave...Glad you had a fabulous time...you may want to try Portsmouth , NH and Kittery, ME if you decide to head north one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun day..isn't Rosecliff gorgeous? My brother in law got married there about 20 years ago, it was such a beautiful wedding seeing the main ball room up there reminded me of what a fun night it was (despite that I had just had my son two weeks prior and was stuffed literally into my dress, lol)! You are lucky to live so close to Newport and did NOT miss a thing at Brimfield...TRUST ME:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chère Katie, thank you very much for this visit. We went to Boston two years ago but we didn't have time to go to Newport, which we regretted a lot. Maybe we will have another opportunity, qui sait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie, nothing like the beauty of the East Coast, thanks for sharing. I hope Chow feels better soon, I am sure he will be back to digging in the yard very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, Such a picturesque spot ~ nothing like the East Coast and your photographs showcase everything perfectly. Your family shots are so fun, Your hubby's photo bomb;) and you look darling in your cozy sweatshirt. Hope your week is off to a great start! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little tour of the mansions reminds us of the time we decided to do the do the Cliff Walk with a map that was a placemat at a lobster shack. After walking for four hours, we realized the map wasn't drawn to scale and we had miles left to go... We still love Newport, though! Hope Chowdah is on the mend - one of our pups tore her ACL and is in a cast for four weeks. No fun! :(
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be a dream come true to visit this part of the world. Your probably as close as I will get, so keep the tours coming. Oh, poor Chowdah, give him a huge sloppy sugar from Sophie and I hope he loves his new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mansions in Newport are so stunning! Your post made me realize I am overdue for another visit up there. Hope Chowdah is doing well after his "procedure"...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Newport just transports you to a beautiful time in history when rich people made their money the old fashioned way - through inheritance - rather than some ridiculous nouveau way like selling their tech company to Google. Ahhhh....those were the days....
    Love the Mister's enthusiastic photo bombing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure make a great tour guide.
    XO
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mansions sure are beautiful! You really had the perfect weather during your trip too!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like you guys had a wonderful time. Newport is is so nice, you two seem like such a happy couple God bless you both

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts