Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Books n' Movies

Happy weekend, dear friends.  Here are a few book and movie reviews from my vacation.  If you have read these books or have seen the movies, I would love to hear from you.  


Amazon

I was so darn excited about this book.  I have read many of Barbara Delinsky's books and enjoyed them.  The book centers around a food BLOGGER and her best friend.  How can this book go wrong?

Well, unfortunately, in my eyes, something was missing.  I just could not get engaged with the characters.  The plot was mediocre at best.  I tried my hardest to love it, but at best I could barely like it.



Thought this was going to be great because I saw so many people reading it in the airports.  Usually that theory works out for me.  Not in this case.  The plot centers around a somewhat dysfunctional family.  Not even an interesting maladjusted family.  My family could "out-dysfunction" this family any day.







Jojo Moyes did it again.  I enjoyed the book and the well-developed characters tremendously.  This is another one of her books that would make a great movie. 




I have read all of Elin Hilderbrand's books.  The first one was my absolute favorite, The Blue Bistro.  Her latest books seem to be spun from a formula.  The setting is always in Nantucket, one of the lead characters is usually a terminally ill woman, along with some kind of estrangement in the family, and throw in a healthy dose of middle aged lust and you have an Elin Hilderbrand novel.



I knew this one was not going to be good, but I was stuck on the plane and they had very few movies that looked good.  I should have taken a Tylenol PM and took a nap.



Sweet movie and Colin Farell isn't too bad to look at during a long, boring flight.  


Positively adored this movie.  Jon Favreau is a triple threat in Hollywood.  Hope he writes and directs another one soon!


Happy Sunday!




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews. I however was stuck on a plane and LOVED The Other Woman (glad I didn't watch the end until I was home I laughed so loud).

    ReplyDelete
  2. One on One would make a great movie! I am so curious who will be cast in Me Before You. Who will do Lou justice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I have Sweet salt air sitting on my nightstand right his very minute collecting dust so far....but keep vowing to crack it open every night. Read the Vacationers wasn't thrilled, felt there was a lot of hype.
    The other woman was a major letdown but I was hardly surprised:) LOVED Magic in the moonlight and The Hundred Foot Journey if you haven't seen hem...and hope to see A Trip to Italy later today. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the reviews. I love being saved from boring books. :)
    xo
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought I was the only one who wondered what all the fuss over The Vactioners. Chef is the best of the summer movies. What a soundtrack! I was dancing in my seat. Thanks/Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see Chef...glad you gave it an oven mitt's thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO bummer that I missed Chef when it was out in theaters! I really want to see that and thanks for the book tips I need a few more good reads!!xo K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't had a lot of time for reading this summer - the Vacationer was on my list but rethinking that now. We did love "the hundred foot journey" - one of the best movies we've seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reviews - thanks for the heads up.
    I loved Chef too - a real feel good movie.
    I have a long haul flight coming up soon, so hope to catch up on some reading and more films then.
    Have a lovely day,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chef was fabulous! Loved it! I want to watch it again to catch all the parts I missed because of my growling stomach. That little boy played his part to perfection and I loved the story line about social media. Five stars.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts