Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Kate the Great's Faves

Let me introduce you to my dear friend, Kate.  Kate and I went to school together at an all women's college in Lake Forest, IL  just a ''few" years ago.   Some people, Kate and I  refer to it as the "Vassar of the Midwest."  I am sure there are few that would not agree, but that's their problem. Unfortunately, our college closed some years ago, so everyone will have to take our word for it that we both graduated with a 4.0 GPA across the board.

Kate is married to Big Mac and they have two beautiful grown daughters.  They live in a fabulous home outside of Chicago and have another exquisite home in Sante Fe, NM.  The Mister and I will be guests of theirs in just a few weeks in NM.  Can't wait!   
 
I asked Kate for a list of her "favorite things" and she has complied. She has great taste and I am excited to share them with you.
 
As with every "favorite things" blog, I reserve the right for commentary.

I hereby present Kate's favorite things.

 
 
 
 
 
Thai massage.  Can't begin to tell you how great this feels. Thai massage stretching and deep tissue massage can make you feel great for days after the appointment.  There are some claims that you can appear and inch taller.

An inch taller??  I'm in!  How about if I do it 4 times a day - will I grow 4 inches?


 
 
Crisp white blouses!  Must come from all the Catholic school uniforms I've worn all my life!  Can't have enough in my closet.

I, too, am a white blouse addict. Just wish I looked this good in them!


My favorite movie of all time!  Great way to get into the Christmas spirit.

Fyi... Cary Grant was my very first crush. Lucky for the Mister,
he never met me in time.


Lululemon... workout attire with the "wow" factor. 

My tennis buddies are crazy about this store!  So glad that I was available to model it for you.
 
 


Zappos.com.  Shoe shopping has never been so easy!
 
Do they have 9 inch wedges...just in case the thai massage doesn't stretch me enough?



Love having lunch at the Zodiac room in Neiman's.  A cup of  chicken broth and their famous popovers with strawberry butter begins every delicious meal.
 
I'll take all the credit for this one,  Neiman's originated in Dallas.
 
 
  Served ice cold, this Italian sparkling wine il Prosecco is positively delicious.
 
and when you pair it with
 
 
You have died and gone straight to heaven!!!
 
Does that mean if I drink IL Prisecco and munch on some Krunchers there won't be any purgatory layover for moi?

 
And then ... the creme de la creme ...
 

 
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Chile Bark from Senor Murphy's Candy Shop in Sante Fe, NM
 
 
I don't even have to try these to know they are great.  Tell Senor Murphy that Seniorita Preppy Empty Nester is coming to town so stock up!
 
 

This is my favorite thing to give someone who is going through a very difficult time.  Here you will find the right words that you didn't think possible.
 
I know this book is extremely well thought of, Kate.  But the next time I hit a "bump in road" - just send me 5 lbs. of the dark chocolate chili bark.
 
 
 


Bangles, baubles and beads!  One, two, or three bangles flipped onto my wrist and it's an instant pick-me-up to whatever I'm wearing.  Love to hear the jingle jangle of my fancy bangles.

This is a picture of just a few of Kate's bangles.  I gave the middle blue bangle to her last Christmas because she gave me a beautiful blue fleur-de-lis bangle the year before, that I just loved. 
Not only do I wear a piece of jewelry for the look, but most importantly, I wear it for sentimental reasons. 
When I wear Kate's beautiful bracelet, it always makes me smile to think of how lucky I am to have such a great friend.

See you in a couple of weeks, Kate! Fasten your seatbelts, Sante Fe!


Cheers!!!
You can never wear too many readers!



Happy Friday!
Hope your weekend is filled with baking yummy things!
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

3 comments:

  1. Fun post! Have dinner for me at Geronimo in Santa Fe. I had one of the best meals of my life there a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the high school that is on the same campus as the college in Lake Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend's grammy went to high school at Lake Forest (same campus as mentioned above), it is beautiful there! Also, Brooks Brothers white button downs are the only way to go. Their no-iron shirts, nothing like them! I love them for a million reasons, but mostly for travel...changed my life!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts