Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Bling Ring

A few days ago, my #2 and I set a date for our favorite pastime, going to our "artsy" theater (Angelika in Plano or Dallas) and seeing a movie. We love our offbeat movies and the quiet setting with the seniors in headphones surrounding us. 

We love a juicy documentary such as The Queen of Versailles 



or the beautifully scenic and inspirational film, Princess Ka'iulani.




We have enjoyed our hits and loathed our misses.  Together, we made a list of the movies that we both had an interest in seeing this summer. Yesterday, we checked the first one off of our list.




The Bling Ring is based on the true story of a group of narcissistic teens in Calabasas, California.  Instead of playing a sport or joinng the debate team they rob houses of the "in crowd;" i.e. celebrities, such as Paris Hilton and Orlando Bloom. 








 The thefts of cash, clothes, jewelry and accessories were estimated at a cool $3 million.  Their extracurricular activities lasted for about a year.

I distinctly recall the incessant 2008 news reports following the story as the robberies persisted. Needless to say, the movie piqued our interest.

The movie was OK.  In other words, I suggest waiting until it comes out on video, and then - if the subject is of interest to you - watch it. 
The best part of the movie was by far the clothes. My #2 watched in awe as the Gucci, Louis, and Prada were toted across the screen. As if that weren't enough, many of the scenes were filmed in Paris Hilton's actual home that was burglarized by the teen ring. 
Unfortunately, Paris' house sent an unintended message... Money doesn't buy taste!

All in all, this one would probably be filed in the "miss" box.  But all was not lost - I got to spend time with one of my favorite girls!

Hope your day is filled with glam....







Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

9 comments:

  1. Have to say and while I don't really know her - Paris herself doesn't have a lot of taste. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- Thanks for the review- I probably WON'T watch this one! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in L.A. (50 plus years ago it wasn't so bad..) and grew up in this area. In fact, when my husband and I first got married we had a condo in Calabasas. One of the reasons we moved the the PNW was because of the quality of living in this area. Having spent always 40 years there.. I can tell you it's all about who you know and what you've had done. There ARE some genuine people but there are lots of superficial types there. Paris is something else and it is fun to see what they wear (I watch the Housewives.. when no one is around;) It's kinda like a morbid curiosity, right?)

    Have a fun 4th! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might have to add this one to my Netflix list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie, So nice to meet you. I am enjoying reading your blog... How does it feel to be an 'empty nester'.??... I've been there--done that... It was many years ago for me though --and I now have a granddaughter in college (going to Texas A&M this fall)... I raised 3 sons --and now have 5 grandchildren.

    I lived near Houston for 12 yrs. --but was born and raised in the mountains of VA... I now live on the Cumberland Plateau in TN --and LOVE it...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun night!!! Enjoy your daughters while they are home for the summer! LOL about money not buying taste...I was just having that conversation with my daughters last night!

    Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun night indeed! Money doesn't buy class. Have a happy and safe 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the warning to wait for the video release! So much better to see a movie with one's daughter rather than husband. Husbands just don't seem to get chic flicks.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts