Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Fabulous Luncheon and House Tour


Hello dear friends.  I hope everyone is managing to stay warm.  I looked at the calender to figure out how many days until April.  Looks like it may be awhile.

Several months ago, I had the pleasure of meeting one of my favorite readers, Mary, for lunch.  After being in her company for just a few minutes, I felt that I had known her for a lifetime.  Although Mary is a very busy lady, we kept in touch.  Mary works part-time as an ICU nurse at Childrens Hospital.  She also walks two hours a day.  Two hours.  She listens to NPR radio  and audio books on her constitutional.  Thanks to Mary, I have converted from listening to music on my walks to audio books, which makes me walk more, especially if it's a good book. 

Several weeks ago, Mary wrote me a note and invited me to her home for a luncheon.  She said that a few neighbors read my blog and wanted to meet me.  To say I was flattered is an understatement.  I counted the minutes until the big day.

I was the first to arrive which was fine with me.  It gave me some time to catch up with Mary and she gave me permission to take some pictures of her gorgeous home.

I positively love the den.  Lots of seating and so warm and inviting.



  



Mary and I share a love for the almighty rooster!




Mary's living room is brimming with New England charm.






Love this library.





The kitchen is bright and is perfect for cooking and parties.


Mary and Laurie sharing a laugh.



Window seats are one of my favorite features in a home.  Love the pillows too!


The food was fabulous.


Almost every one of these lovely ladies have raised their families in the neighborhood.  You can tell how close they all are.  They know each others families, have celebrated many a birthday and lots of graduations together.  They are a very special group of women.









Kathy made this fabulous Apple Crostata.  Not only did it look like a magazine cover, it was positively delicious!  She told me that she used Ina's recipe.


Darling screened-in porch.







This is Mary's daughter's room.  I adore the color and fabrics that she used.


Mary's daughter is away at college.  If I lived in this room, I would never leave.





Is this not the cutest?  A drawer for every American Girl Doll.




As you can tell by all the trophies, Mary's daughter is quite an accomplished tennis player.




Mary ordered these beautiful prints from The Pink Pagoda.



These are the lovely ladies who made me feel so welcomed.  I apologize to the few that left before I thought to take a group shot.  You ladies will always be known as the Sudbury sweethearts to me. 



Chatting it up with Kathy and Karen. 


Thank you, Mary, for the most delightful afternoon.  On Thanksgiving, I will definitely count this day as one the blessings that I am so grateful for this year.




Here's to good friends!









Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

25 comments:

  1. WOW! Such lovely ladies! What a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great blog experiences for you since you moved to Boston! Life brings blessings from the strangest places :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, as a blogger myself I understand what a fantastic experience it is to be invited to a special celebration or event such as this. Being able to touch lives of women you had never met before is pretty amazing. That is one of the best things about blogging. What a lovely afternoon with your new friends. So many cool things have happened for you in your new home town. Fun post my friend!
    xx, Heather @ Stylemindchic Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful home and equally beautiful ladies! I am always in awe of those who can do everything..and do it well. I've never thought about listening to NPR when walking. I can't count the times I've pulled into the garage and sat there for an extra half hour to finish listening to something interesting. This is what I love about blogging. You never know what you'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Katie! I wish I could have crashed this party -- what a lovely time everyone's having! I'm thrilled to see my prints in Mary's house. I LOVE the idea of listening to audiobooks while walking. I used to listen while driving, but now just do NPR. I loved funny books like David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, love reading your blog!!! Brings a smile every time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I hear it's a little nippy in McKinney these days. I love following you and your beautiful family on Facebook. If you come out East, make sure and give me a holler!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful group of ladies, and what a charming home! They were the ultimate hostesses with just the right touches for what looked like a fun and fabulous lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely home and what a beautiful group of ladies! You are so lucky to have met such nice people so quickly after you moved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really sweet house! It looks like a great time had by all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there anything better than New England: beautiful scenery and homes. Can't wait till I retire and move to Massachusetts. What a lovely day you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so lovely, Marie. When you move to Massachusetts, I recommend you to come in the Spring. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  11. I bet the Sudbury ladies loved meeting you as much as you enjoyed meeting them! Like you, gracious hostess Mary also has a beautiful home decorate with New England charm.
    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you always say the sweetest things Paige. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  12. Fabulous and Fun...her home is a beauty. So glad you all had a wonderful get together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks and sounds like a veery special group of ladies. What a lovely home and luncheon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! You have your very own fan club:) And what a beautiful ,charming, and elegant home...love her blue and white touches:) Looks like a truly lovely afternoon.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe, that looked like the kind of good time that I would enjoy and the house, well, just so inviting and gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your fun with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a lovely day with such a wonderful group of ladies. Mary's home is so pretty and welcoming, I love everything about it. How special it is to get to know people you already have so much in common with - one of the things I love about blogworld! Have a wonderful day Katie and stay warm - it is freezing even in the deep south!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you have a fan club near and far! Such fun to gather and open up together and celebrate life.
    I too shall give thanks for you and your dear Sista on Thanksgiving day!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun Katie! Lunch ..plus.. house tour is the perfect afternoon;) Gorgeous open floor plan and love the kitchen of course. Always enjoy visiting here Katie:) Have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun! Mary's house is beautiful. I'm sure that all the Sudbury Sweethearts loved meeting you in person. I surely feel blessed to have you in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely honor! Thank you for sharing this lovely home and your new friends with us!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! The den is absolutely spectacular. I love how classy and elegant Mary's decorating aesthetic is, which incorporates just the right amount of modern touches to stay true to the overall theme and vibe of her home. Also, the food at the luncheon looks scrumptious. Thank you so much for sharing all those lovely pictures! Wishing you a happy thanksgiving!

    Benny Daniel @ Finlay Brewer

    ReplyDelete
  22. Katie, we so enjoyed meeting you at Mary's. So hopeful that you will be able to stop by our condo when you next trek into Boston proper. One of the Sudbury Sweethearts, Teri

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts