Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

If It's Wednesday it's Hodgepodge


Hello dear friends.  Happy Hump Day!  I hope that you are enjoying your week.

My #2 left very early this morning to head back to school.  We had a great time and I miss her already.  I think the day that my girls leave after their visits is the hardest.

If it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.I 











1.  Have you ever had to wear a uniform?  Did you love it or hate it?


Have I had to wear a uniform?  Is the Pope a Catholic?  I spent all of my grade school and high school years in uniforms.  I loved wearing uniforms because I did not want to waste one sleeping minute figuring out what to wear.  I will not deny even wearing my uniform to bed once or twice when I was really tired.  





I spent all of my grade school and high school in uniforms.

We wore navy and white check skirts.  It also included blazers for special occasions.  Half the student population lost the beloved blazers during the first month of school.  Present company included.

In the pic is: (f) Mary H, Ellen, Dude channeling Pippy Longstocking in her 'do, and Rosie.





Sista is in the front, Dude with a stylish bob, Moi, and Stephanie at Camp Tegawitha 


  I also wore a uniform for my summer camp.  We wore white peter pan collared shirts and navy shorts which were 3 sizes too small at the end of the summer, due to all the delicious baked foods they served to us. The only one in the whole camp that didn't put on weight was Dude.  I've never forgiven her.




I've also adopted my own uniform of every day life.  I wear a lot of black pants and leggings because they make me look thinner.





2.  April 22nd is Earth Day.  What is one thing you do personally to be a good steward on planet Earth?




I recycle.

For some reason, the Mister and I accrue a lot of trash.




3.  Brown rice, quinoa, or couscous... your healthy grain of choice?  How often are one of the 3 on your menu at home?  


We used to eat a lot of couscous when my girls were home.  But now my grain of choice is quinoa.


Given a choice between white rice, brown rice, wild rice, and fried rice, which would you go for?



Definitely fried rice.  
And if you throw in a little egg roll, I'd be in heaven.



4.  In your opinion, who has the best job ever?





This kid has got it made.  Not only does he grow up pampered, but when he takes over his kingdom, he has an enormous staff to do all his dirty work.  And he gets to grow up in a house fit for a king.




5.  What's a situation in your life currently requiring patience?




One word:  Chowdah
Every minute of the day. 





6.  Do you live your life around days of the week?  Explain.





Not so much any more.  If it weren't for Hodgepodge, I wouldn't know it was Wednesday.



7.  In a nod to the A to Z challenge happening around town this month, what "R" word would best describe your April?




Rain would be my word because we have had a good share of it lately. But you'll hear no complaints from me!  Because we know what April showers bring.



8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

When my #2 came home to surprise me this weekend, she flew out of Charlottesville  airport.

While she was there, she spotted a certain a housewife in her midst. 



My #2 approached this certain housewife and asked her if she was Ramona Singer.  She rolled her Ramona eyes, mumbled "yes," and kept on walking.

As the Countess Luann would say...

Money can't buy you class...

Until next time...






Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

18 comments:

  1. Love the shopper photo!! Lol. And I won't stand for a negative word to be said against Chowdah. He's my new best friend! ARF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...I adore school uniforms! Wish all schools would implement this considering how some children dress these days. Is that darlin' in the black stretch pants, really in the candy isle? And.....Chowdah has THE most loveable face...but oh my...those muddy paws!!!! So, Ramona was not very polite??? Not surpriing.....I think she might have had a different experience from Countess Luann....too, too bad! Enjoy your week Miss Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So disappointing when a celeb is less than gracious. My hubs is one of those people always accidentally sharing space with celebs in elevators and such. He's always pretty cool about it. I met George Clooney in NYC once. I was not exactly cool : ) Also, he was charming AND ridiculously handsome. Hubs and I have oodles of rubbish too. How? There's just the two of us here. It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely beyond me why Mario strayed from a stable, sane, sophisticated gem like Ramona.
    I think the Best Job Ever would be to name nail polish colors - as long as it paid well. Boot Leg, Violin, Bike Ride - I currently own these colors - and I am confident that I could have done a better job naming these polishes.
    Love quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! You really made me chuckle and I love the puppy photo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never wore a uniform, except the poly-blend choir dresses that I HATED. They itched and made every girl (even the skinny ones) look fat. Well, on second thought, maybe they did have one redeeming quality...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never wore a uniform, except the poly-blend choir dresses that I HATED. They itched and made every girl (even the skinny ones) look fat. Well, on second thought, maybe they did have one redeeming quality...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a totally icky housewife to run into. I wish #2 had played with her mind and asked if she was Aviva Drescher. I've been shamefully following the Kim Richards debacle. I'll probably record her Dr. Phil interview next week even though the spousal unit and I are doing a two-week experiment to see if we can exist without cable television using only Hulu Plus and Netflix. Maybe that proves I can't. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My "uniform" the kids tell me is BLACK! Apparently, I wear a LOT of black! Is it true BLACK makes you look thinner? Case in point? Look at you bent over int he aisle there in picture #3 above. (BWAHAHAHAHAHA- oh-now you ARE going to hate-bomb me,aren't you)

    I think that Ramona is a tad peeved because she is being written "out" more than she is in anymore. Ya can't buy class is right!!! Maybe your daughter should have handed her a glass of wine when she said hello...xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please tell Ramona to get over herself, her and those scary eyes! I was in the city having lunch yesterday and guess who walked in...speaking of housewives, Kristen! I laughed at this..yep know all about those school uniforms, and the redeeming qualities of all black:) Always fun to read these...you make the middle of the week something to anticipate! My coffee break is over, now back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wore a uniform from K-12 and I have to say I liked it. It was nice not to have to pick something out.

    Thanks for the late afternoon laugh! Love the comment about the Housewives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the school uniform I wore in grades 1- 11, in my senior year our nuns, being very progressive determined we could handle a dress code...I swear they spent more time on dress code violations than in Mass. I wish I would not know the day of the week...like the Dowager of Downton...I want to be able to say, "What is a weekend?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Humpday and happy Earth Day! How fun that your daughter surprised you with a visit! I loved your tale of the Target adventure. I didn't even bother, I doubt they even carried LP at our local store. I never had to wear a uniform, I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Though, I do feel I have some 'Sure-fire' outfits on stand by for work-always a pencil skirt!

    Katie-Jennifer (A Well Styled Life) and I are hosting our first Lifestyle Blog Linkup and we would love for you, and your other blogger friends to join. It just takes a few moments to add the link of one of your favorite posts from your blog. We are launching on Friday and will be live until Wed. Any Lifestyle bloggers-new and seasoned-are invited to join. If you don't blog join us all on IG with #stylefocus.
    I would love to have your voice and your blog in the mix, Katie!
    I always smile when I stop by here.
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hubby thinks that I make trash. We have way too much for just the two of us. The shopper was hysterical! Rain could have well been my word to and we are sick of it. We need a driveway!!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see that your school uniforms were as stylish as mine ; ). OMG I can't get over that photo of you, Sista & dude from summer camp; # 1 looks just like you & #2 just like Sista!!! Ramona is such a bitch....whatever! Lots of rain here but it was beautiful last week in Maryland/DC for our annual family trip. Hope all is well...xoxo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pictures from your uniform wearing days! I know exactly how you feel the day after the visiting kiddo leaves. I usually have to get out of my house to get my mind off of how empty it feels!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie, I just came over from Cranberry Morning. Love the Q and A. I just did one on my blog so readers could get to know me a little better. I've always thought school uniforms would be wonderful! I still remember taking one of my friends to task in junior high for pointing out that the dress another girl in class was wearing was a dress of hers that her mother had donated to Goodwill. Uniforms would spare kids all that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Get out of town!!! #2 had an encounter with Ramona?!?! I wonder what she was doing in Charlottesville... Does Avery go to school in that neck of the woods? As usual, you killed it on this week's Hodgepodge. Oh, and the one good thing about the " R word" rain is that it is not the "S word" snow!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts