Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Fitbit Kind of Hodgepodge

Hello dear friends.  I hope that you are enjoying your week.  If it's Wednesday, it is time for Hodgepodge.



1.  It's October so let's get this out there first thing ... have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon?  How so?




It's pumpkins galore over at my house.  If you missed my post on Fall decorating, you can find it here.



2.  "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible."  Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld

What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a lack of will?



Two words:  weight loss.



3.  The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (click here to see the list).  Are you happy with yours?  If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower?  If you're outside the U.S> what bloom would you like to see labelled as your country as you country's national flower?





Trailing - arbutus is the state flower of Massachusetts.  I have never heard of it before.  The one thing I love about Hodgepodge is that I always learn something.




If I were to designate a flower of Massachusetts, it would be the hydrangea because they are so full and brilliant in color here.  It may have to do with the salt air. 



4.  What have you lost interest in recently?


I was a loyal watcher of The Voice during the first few seasons.  For some reason, it's not doing it for me anymore.  The Mister still watches it, though.


5.  In your opinion, who's the best living musician?

I googled the word "musician" to see if it was restricted to a person who actually plays a musical instrument.  It also includes people who perform music.  




With that being said, I would have to go with Barbra Streisand.  I can't think of anyone's voice who can match her range.



6.  S'mores - love 'em or no?  Ever make them indoors?  Last time you sat around an outdoor fire?  Are making s'mores and sitting around a fire pit on your autumn bucket list?  Do you have an autumn bucket list?



The last time that we made s'mores, it was in front of our fireplace in Texas. 
 

Chowhound


Chowhound

Can you imagine s'mores with a slice of bacon or a generous dab of peanut butter?  I'm getting emotional just thinking about it! 

I guess I would put these on my bucket list.


7.  Your favorite small town?  Why?





No question about it.  Nantucket has my vote.  Of course, it is breathtaking in the warm weather with its architecture, gorgeous landscaping, and blue waters.  But it is just as magical on a winter's day. 



8.  Insert your own random thought here.




This week I jumped on the Fitbit wagon.  I didn't go out and buy one, the Mister got it as an amenity and passed it on to moi.  I hope he's not trying to tell me something.



From the moment I get up, this is how I feel.
It's only been a day, but the pressure is killing me.




Let's put it this way... I don't feel the addiction yet.


Do you have a fitbit?  
What do you think of it? 

Until next time...







Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

26 comments:

  1. Oh Barbra! Her voice is one of a kind! I do love her! I have been thinking about getting a Fitbit because the cold winter months are coming and it's harder to be outside and moving. The fitbit might "encourage" me to make the effort to bundle up and walk when I don't want to face the cold. Or - not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a Fitbit, but my hubby is obsessed with his. So far no desire to get one, but I'll be interested to hear how you like yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Fitbit here. I can see that I need to visit Nantucket. Looks gorgeous. That house at the beginning of the post is really beautiful and looks SO New England. Barbra Streisand is a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these random question posts. I quit watching The Voice, too. I am tired of it, I guess. I love Nantucket, too, but have not been in many years---too many. I have a Fitbit and love it but right now I can't find my ittybitty charger so the thing is RESTING and waiting for me! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know more about FitBit, too. I've always wanted to visit Nantucket. I've never been farther north than Washington, DC, sadly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter gave me a fit-bit. I forget to wear it,... a lot. You're supposed to walk 10,000 steps a day. In the few months I've had it, that only happened 2 times. Once was a day spent at the Chatham Bars Inn, walking the beach multiple times. The next was a day spent on Nantucket. I think I should get extra credit for walking on cobblestone streets all day. Clearly I would be in excellent shape, if I could be living large on the Cape & Nantucket the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen.. I just love Chatham Bars! Those cobblestone streets are really something - my #1 wore heels in Nantucket. I warned her. Next time she'll listen to her Mama. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  7. Wearing my fitbit now. Wrote a story about it for my newspaper column, and now everyone in town is checking on my progress. What a pain in the #$!.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute post! I've always wanted to visit Nantucket, I've heard its beautiful! I have a FitBit too! It's currently sitting on my counter collecting dust, lol. Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun feature Katie, and I do love the state flower for Kansas, the Sunflower, I think it says brightness and cheer to a lot of people. S'mores are forever, and I cannot pick just one musician because I am such a music freak!!
    No to Fit-bit, yes to Under Armour though! Ha!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Artist Lee Bowers

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Your decorations are shaming me into going out and getting some mums.
    2. Trailing what? I've never heard of it either and I'm from MA!
    3. Nantucket! yes...
    4. I do have a Fitbit, and I am pretty good (er, obsessive) about tracking my steps. You have to read David Sedaris' Fitbit article...it may have been in the New Yorker? Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to read this because I am obsessed with my FitBit!! But, the struggle is real! This week I finally hooked it up with friends and was the big loser in steps. :( Love s'mores--indoors, outdoors, wherever (which is why I need to get my 10,000 steps).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, love all your fall decor. And, yes, Barbara is dynamite for sure! the Fitbit nearly drove me to distraction so I handed it over to my SIL and he loves it. I don't miss it a bit. Always brings a smile when I stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those s'mores are killin' it. I wonder how many points...........off to the google! And, by the by, your house(s) are/were GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Fitbit accidentally went into storage. I had trouble resetting the clock , which was off kilter and messed up my numbers. I do power walk most days and use map my walk app on my phone. Not the same thing, but it keeps me motivated. I can say for certain Facebook is way more interesting than Fitbit : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok how am I supposed to lose weight if you are suggesting s'mores with bacon and peanut butter...my gosh I need one now. Anyway I will not blame you. I used to use a pedometer, but you are right getting in the steps is stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love my fitness tracker. When I meet my daily goal, it makes my day.
    Your house looks awesomely autumnal!
    Quick s'mores: Break JU Petite Ecolier milk-chocolate-topped cookie in half. Microwave a marshmallow for a couple of seconds until it doubles or triples in size. Sandwich it between the two chocolate halves of the cookie and it will melt the chocolate. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds positively delicious!!! Maybe I will take my fitbit more seriously so I can eat all the yummy s'mores. Have a great weekend Paige.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still loving The Voice -- but only when I record it and tune in at about 9pm rather than 8pm so I can bypass all the commercials. You're so right about Barbra. (I love the duets of Tony Bennettt with Lady Gaga! I love watching her because she loves Tony so.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Marilyn. Most of the shows I watch are taped and I bypass all the commercials. We watch (or should I say the Mister) watches it live while I am on Pinterest. Have a great weekend. I am sure the foliage is beautiful in Virginia.

      Delete
  19. I'm not competitive enough to ever be successful with a Fitbit. As much as I love bacon I just can't fathom putting it on a s'more or a doughnut as is popular here. Barbra Streisand is one of a kind! I can watch Funny Girl every day all day and never get tired of the story or the music. Omar Shariff was one serious hotty in his day!!! Did you see Barbra when she was on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon? She was amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a fitbit as does my 85 year old mom. My daily goal: just get more steps than mom. I don't always achieve my goal....
    Now, on the subject of s'mores, I don't love them but my wonderful son-in-law said that he made one with two Girl Scout thin mint cookies and a toasted marshmallow. I think I'd like to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In terms of small towns that I love I would have to say.... 1.Carmel, for the charming cottages and beautiful location on the ocean with great shopping and restaurants. 2. I also love many of the small towns in the Napa Valley. 3. An east coast favorite is Sea Island, Georgia.....love the homes, Spanish moss trees, beautiful biking trails and location on the ocean. I love Nantucket and think it would be such a wonderful place to spend a summer! S'mores.....we love them and make them all the time. We have a fire pit in our backyard and make them whenever we have parties or have friends over. It is what we offer for dessert and people love it every time. ;-) I'm never without s'mores supplies on hand......and I always eat too many!! FitBit, I was into it for awhile a few years back, but I quickly realized that if you walk 45-60 minutes a day you've hit your 10,000 steps. I tend to meet girlfriends for workouts on a regular basis and that keeps me going knowing that I have someone to meet. Barbra Streisand for sure and I have to say I really like Celine Dion as well. Sorry for the long message but I just had so much to say about your fun post! Have a great weekend! We are still waiting for fall here! Still in the high 70's and 80's.....I'm looking forward to having a chill in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you're looking for the #1 Bitcoin exchange service, then you should pick CoinMama.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts