Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sista's Living Room/Game Room Reno

Hello, dear friends.  It's amazing how much my vocabulary has grown since I have moved to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  A week ago, I had never heard the term bomb cyclone.  And now I am smack dab in the middle of it. 

This weather event is really testing my resolution of no complaining.  My new healthy lifestyle resolution is taking a whack, as well.  Especially when I know there is a full container of Salted Caramel Gelato looking neglected and lonely in the basement freezer.

Speaking of gelato, I have a sweet treat for you today.  Cozy up and take a gander at Sista's gorgeous renovated Living Room/Game Room.  Around Thanksgiving, Sista told me that she wanted to renovate her living room and have it completely done by Christmas.  I thought that she was crazy.  Any time that I've wanted to do some painting or any other renovation projects around the holidays I've been told by the contractors that I would have to wait until after the holidays.

Not my Sista.
Whatever Sista wants, 
Sista gets.



If you are new to my blog, my Sista lives in a beautiful antique home in picturesque Connecticut.  You can read past posts that I have done on her house here, here, and here.






We do not have before furnished pictures.  It was a lovely, warm room decorated with Louis IV furniture.  Sista says that it is an awkward space.  I've only seen the room with furniture in it and it didn't look awkward to me.  




They never use the front door.




The fireplace is not centered and there are two entrances into the room - one from the dining room and one from the living room.







Sista has gorgeous woodwork and moldings throughout the house.  Aren't the window panes stunning painted black?




Sista had the sofas and club chairs reupholstered in a white Revolution fabric (apparently bulletproof).  Here is a video telling you more about the fabric.  







FYI... Sista bought this reindeer at Homegoods and turned it into a tree topper.

Is there any end to Sista's talents?



Sista tried to sell the two bamboo circular sofas (c. 1950) on Chairishone of Sista's favorite sites.




It's lucky that she didn't sell them.  Don't they look great?  I think they make the room so warm and cozy.



The paint color is a custom mix that was done for a shop in Litchfield called Oliphant. She used it for the family room and then doubled the pigment for the living room.

Side note:  I did a blog post on the Oliphant in Osterville.





When you live in a house with all men, they have plenty of suggestions on the decorating.  Sista was outvoted as usual and consented to a pool table.  She searched high and low for a pool table that she could live with aesthetically.  Luck would have it she found one online in Arizona.  The name of the table is a Barnstable table.






The lamp over the pool table is from Wayfair.  Sista said that it arrived with a shattered pane.  Wayfair gave them a full refund and they had a pane made by a glass company for a couple of dollars.




 Sista already owned the chess table, but it never had been used for chess before.  I might have to learn to play chess so that I can sit in this comfortable corner.  Not with Sista though, because she cheats.




Sista had these French chairs reupholstered in this stunning black print ultra suede.






Sista found this gorgeous oil painting on Chairish.




George Clooney
Named after my first husband.





Wiley
Same breed as Chowdah but smaller in size and better behaved.

As you can see, Sista has a very strict rule about keeping the pooches off the furniture.  


Until next time...










Linked up with:
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

42 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Sista outdid herself on her room reno! I agree that the windows in black are stunning. Love the bamboo circular sofas, so unique. Thanks for sharing eye candy on a cold wintry day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!! Sista has some seroius skills! xoxo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty house!! I love the black windows. I painted the interior of my doors black after seeing the idea on several blogs and I must say it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her reno turned out fabulous - WOW, and completed before the holidays, too? Lucky! Absolutely love her black and white chairs, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous transformation. I love that while it functions as a game room, it looks nothing like one. Her choices of finishes and fabrics is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You let George Clooney go?!!

    Sista's house is beautiful! It runs in the family. Love her dotted chairs and that bamboo sofa is definitely a keeper. It's perfect for the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love sista’s renovation. Also the look of the white upholstery but I’m not sure I could trust my hubby and boys with white. Great look, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa... take a look at the video I mentioned. You won't believe how great that Revolution fabric works. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year, Katie. I hope you haven't lost power with this storm. Your sista's house is gorgeous. Beautiful floors, the curved sofas are perfect, and the box lock on the front door needs to be on my door. Her living room is very comfortable and usable unlike mine which I just walk through. It might be time to reconsider your no complaining resolution-- way too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie...I will pass on your compliments to my Sista. The storm was a wild one but we were lucky because we didn't lose power. Chowdah and Chili love it. Hope you have a wonderful new year and thank you for all your kind comments.

      Delete
  9. It turned out very nice. I love the windows painted black and the sofa is a keeper. I would be complaining. That kind of snow and temps would have me going nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Cannot believe she accomplished all that between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sista knows how to get things done! What a fun room. Looks like a warm and cozy space to curl up and ride out this Bomb Cyclone thingie. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet.. When Sista makes up her mind to do something, there is no stopping her!! I love following you on Instagram! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, what a lovely renovation! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sista has a lovely new living room. Beautiful choices--I love what she did with the outdoor furniture. I think the cushions make the piece. The paint colors and lighting a fantastic.

    I'm off to look at the links of the rest of her home.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love every inch of this room. It pulls me in and I wouldn't want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Dishywoo! I will be sure to pass on your sweet words to my Sista. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  14. What a handsome space! Love that Revolution fabric (need to remember that!), and also her choices in the side chairs at the game table. Black accents are the bomb - in a good way, not as in bomb cyclone. Hope all is well with this idiotic weather that's hit you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sista is brave, beginning a reno so close to the holidays. She certainly knows how to get a job done beautifully and quickly. Love her home, gorgeous and those windows, wow! The floors are amazing too. Love those pooches, I can tell they aren't spoiled! I love how you tell a a tale Katie. Hope you manage to stay warm through the "bomb cyclone" and don't feel bad, I've never heard that either!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Katie! Your sisters house looks fabulous! What a wonderful, comfy room and use of space!

    I feel your pain about the bomb cyclone, although I did read that in your area or should I say near you there has been a lot of flooding. We ended up with 11 inches of snow which is rare, 25-30 mph winds, 50 mph gusts and frigid temps. In fact the next 3 days are going to be record breaking I think down to 9, -15 with the windchill and then we will see a warm up to 48, next week.

    Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never in a million years would have thought of circular sofas. They work so well -- I love the look.

    Personally, I think Sistah must have half a screw loose to attempt a home reno before the holidays but hats off to her! It's really lovely -- cozy and warm but fun, too.

    I've been thinking about you and the bomb cyclone (did you see the opening to Colbert last night? They did a "weather report" with all sorts of names for the weather. Seems like bomb is on the brain these days! We're in the deep freeze but so far, no bomb cyclone, just some snow. Keep cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Executed between Thanskgiving and Christmas takes Sista beyond magic and into super-hero classification. Very snuggly and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The black window panes make such a statement! Loving those couches too. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Katie! Sista is amazing! Who starts a reno like that between Thanksgiving and Christmas?? I have twice moved into a new house on Thanksgiving weekend and it is not fun!! She did a fabulous job transforming that space and I love the unique circle sofas. I might have to knock on her door next time I'm up that way. Wouldn't she be surprised? I'll wave my traveling tote in the window so she'll know I'm in the Tribe. BUT right now I'm worried about you and your house and wondering if you had any flooding from the horrible surge yesterday! I remember the storm they are talking about from 1978 when I was in college and I hope your beautiful furniture is not floating around in your house!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful re-do! I too would have thought trying to overhaul a room just before Christmas was madness but I can see why she did!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that was an amazing transformation!! That pool table is stunning!! Who knew pool tables could be stunning?!

    My youngest daughter lives in Pennsylvania, right on the border of New Jersey and she's kept me updated on the cyclone. Yesterday she was hunkered down at home. Today, back at work! SO different from the West Coast! Hope you stay warm til all that snow melts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Sista's home is stunning. I love everything about it, but I think she was one lucky duck that the bamboo sofas didn't sell. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely lovely and so warm and inviting. And, the dogs, just as cute as Chili and Chowdah. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing...the room is fantastic. You are right about the window trim in black paint, it's a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice, its so cozy and warm..just meant for cold winter days!! Hope you are not buried in snow up there, this cold is for the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very gorgeous! And unexpected from the exterior of the house~ Love the black window grids! She did a great job of making the billiards table look sophisticated, and LOVE the tree topper! I had my dining room painted 3 days before Christmas, so I can relate!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  28. What talent your sister has - the rooms look beautiful! Lucky for you she let's you visit! Thanks for sharing on The Blogger's Pit stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so enjoy seeing how talented folks decorate their spaces. She turned it into such a warm and usable room.

    I was so tickled to have you stop by. Happy New Year...Janey

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sista's room looks amazing! I love the black mullions and the bamboo sofas are unique and beautiful - lucky they didn't sell! Happy weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful room, but the doggies steal the show! 😜

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now you've gone and done it, Sis. I'm reminded of that time, pre-marriage, when I was invited to dinner at the home of my future sister-in law's in-laws. Still with me? Anywho, I pull up outside their house and toddle up the front steps to the front door. Ring the doorbell, as one does, only to hear swearing and the scraping of heavy things over the floor behind the door. After a good 10 minutes the door is opened by a very sweaty chap who says "oh, we don't come in through this door much ..." No. I'd hope not. He's surrounded by an array of displaced jardinieres that rival those found in a gardening shop. Apparently no one thought to tell me to come in the back way ...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sista, must be very happy with her renovation! Love the black windows. Everything really came together beautifully! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, it's beautiful! I love the black window panes, and those black and white suede chairs are to die for! Sista is a renovation rock star! I'll be featuring your post at Best of the Weekend tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am crazy about those chairs sista had reupholstered.I would move them right into my living room

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amazing renovation, warm and inviting. Love Sista’s style.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts