Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Monday, October 16, 2017

Obsessed With Osterville

Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you enjoyed your weekend.  Ours was delightful.  The Mister and I went out to dinner with dear friends, and we also saw a fantastic movie which I highly recommend.  



Victoria & Abdul is definitely worth the price of a ticket.


*****

A couple of weeks ago, the Mister and I ventured to one of my favorite towns on the Cape, Osterville.  I had been there a couple of times before, but it was the Mister's virgin voyage.  You can read my past posts about this beautiful town here and here.   





Osterville is located on the south side of Barnstable on Nantucket Sound.  It was originally named Oysterville because it was the center for harvesting wild oysters.  Years later, the name changed when a map misspelled the name.




The morning that we arrived was a grey one.  
As the day wore on, the sun came out to join us.




The town was decked out in all its Autumn glory.



To our surprise, the town was holding its Fall Festival.  
Many of the shops were offering sales.  In my opinion, the word sale can take a so-so Fall Fest and turn it into a spectacular one.







Details and Goods is a treasure trove of stunning clothes and accessories.  I did a feature on this shop a few years ago here.  There is another Details and Goods in Hingham, as well.
The website is out of commission at this moment.



I stopped into this darling antique shop, Edythe & Co. and met the lovely owner, Edythe.  



The attractive bookshelf was a cranberry sleuth which was used in cranberry bogs many years ago. 










I would have loved to spend the day in Edythe & Co. with sweet Edythe, but the Mister was getting irritable and needed his noon feeding.



I thought the Mister would love Crisp and I was right.








We feasted on scrumptious flatbread and bruschetta.  The diet starts on Monday.



It was time for us wear off our delicious calories.  Down the street, I spotted this sign, and I had to smile because it reminded me of the enjoyable book I had just finished, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. 



Just like the book, the store, Oliphant did not disappoint.  
It was love at first sight.  The lady who worked at the store said that several patrons mentioned the book to her.  There is no connection, by the way. 






Great furniture as well as accessories.



And the jewelry - one temptation after another!



How cute are these gift cards!



And I have good news for Sista... the owner of Oliphant has another store in Litchfield.  For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that she has been there... 



Oliphant offers stunning clothes, as well.




How do I top off this magnificent day?
A ride in a fire engine might do it.



Until next time...






Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

24 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun way to spend the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much like what we did while living in Maine...all the quaint little towns all dressed for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing New England on your blog Katie. If I did not love the South so much I might move there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a very fun day!! I just finished Eleanor Oliphant too and loved it. I can't wait for the movie to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Cape Cod so I appreciate you taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished the same book after your recommendation. Pretty close to home on a few points but I made it thru! I think next time you can simply give us the shopping tips!-Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed Edythe's, too - she has some lovely items! I had to drag mom out of there. There is also a very talented photography studio behind her shop (they did my daughter's surprise engagement photos on E Sandwich Beach 2 years ago!) I love that the Mister enjoys going to all these little shops with you (mine would be looking for the nearest sports bar to watch "some" game!!) See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delightful! Edythe's is a favorite shop. My trip on the Cape was cut short this time but fun all the same. Our time here in CT has been special. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great town! I can see why you like it, it has everything one needs, great shops, delicious food and its cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny...I JUST bought that lil coat/vest in your top pic on the left!! From a cute boutique here in our town.
    Small world, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  11. and I had to come back to add: this is the closest thing to a coat I've bought in years....you know down here, coats are not needed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGoodness! This is my dream place. How do you keep your wallet in your purse?! I couldn't see where Osterville was on your map. I'd love to visit the whole Cape one summer.

    I finally clicked that Amazon button after hearing you rave about Eleanor Oliphant. Sounds enticing.

    Thanks for the dreamy photos!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osterville is a village in the town of Barnstable (in red on the map). It is on the south side of the town.
      —Niki

      Delete
  13. Love the quaint towns you visit, so full of personality. And I love that cranberry sleuth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been trying to find a chance to see the new Judi Dench movie....I'm a big fan of hers. I've almost finished Elanor Oliphant, and I also highly recommend it. My sister persuaded me to read it, and I'm really glad I did. Thanks for the post and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it. Thank you for your kind comment and say hi to your sister!

      Delete
  15. THAT MOVIE IS ON MY LIST!!!!!!!!!TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wow, I think my name was written all over that store! I may ave to make a special trip and let you be my guide. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would say best excursion ever -- at least one of the best! It looks like a charming town filled with all the quaintness and good shopping I like! And nice you were there during the festival.

    I'm going to try to get to that film over the weekend. It looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a charming town! Love seeing all of your fun little adventures and how lucky that the mister is such a willing participant:) Love seeing it all decked out for fall...hope you have a great day. I want to see that movie too..right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun times! The movie is on my "must see" list! And it's no secret that I love the small towns and shopping on the Cape. Edythe and Co. is a favorite stop for me.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great town for a day trip. Love the decked our autumn finery. Thanks for the heads up on the movie, I wondered if it was worth the time to go. I love JD so I think we'll have to go. My diet begins Tuesday! Happy New Year dear Katie...............

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts