Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Book Signing at Buttonwood




Hello, dear friends.  We woke up to a positively gorgeous Sunday morning.  I told the Mister that it's time to ditch the storm windows and bring on the screens.  There's nothing I love more than to sleep with the windows open.

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I love to go to book signings.  It is even more enjoyable when I am familiar with the author's books.  

A couple of weeks ago, my buddy, Annie and I attended a book signing supper at one of my favorite bookstores, Buttonwood Books in Cohasset.  I had so much fun at the last Breakfast with the Authors, I looked forward to attending some events this year.




The authors in attendance were Abby Fabiaschi and Jessica Shattuck.  I read I Liked My Life and couldn't put it down. 

    The Women In The Castle was released the day of the signing.  After Jessica's talk, I downloaded it when I got home. 




Annie is a voracious reader and this is her favorite bookstore.  She got a kick out of this book's title because her Mister's name is Bob.
If you're looking for a fabulous selection of children's books, Buttonwood is the place to be.



Not only does Buttonwood have a wonderful selection of books, they house darling gifts and fashion accessories.  






Whenever I need a hostess gift, I head to Buttonwood.




Aren't these votives adorable?




This is Abby on the right and her bestie who just happens to live in Cohasset.  






We noshed on delicious sandwiches and wine.  




Kathy Detwiler is the owner of Buttonwood.  She is so warm and always does a great job welcoming everyone and introducing the authors.  She also has a top-notch accommodating staff.



The Women In The Castle is Jessica's third book.  Her debut novel, The Hazards of Good Breeding and her second one, Perfect Life: A Novel have received very good reviews.  Jessica shared with us her writing process.  She said that she writes at least 2 hours a day to keep the momentum going.  She worked on her present book for over seven years.
   


I Liked My Life is Abby's first novel.  She spoke of losing her beloved father at an early age and how that event shaped her life and led to her writing.

Both authors said that they begin writing the characters and let the plot come later.  I thought that was pretty interesting - I thought it was just the opposite.  

It was a delightful evening and I look forward to attending Breakfast With The Authors in May featuring Anita Shreve, The Stars Are Fire, Randy Susan Meyers, The Widow of Wall Street, and Stephen P. Kiernan, The Baker's Secret.  Rumor has it, Stephen is a hunk.  Eye candy plus great books - sounds like the perfect combo for a fabulous morning!

Until next time...





Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

21 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely book store. Of course, I am a huge fan of all book stores and especially the Independent ones!! ( You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies due to The Shop Around the Corner). I have I Liked My Life on my TBR list and now will add The Women in the Castle. You are my main go to for book recommendations!! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to catch up on 2 lost weeks of blog hopping!! I love Anita Shreve's books - looking forward to your thoughts on hearing her talk! Warm weather is slowing arriving, I also look forward to opening the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great book store! I really like that you introduce us to new books, Katie. Have you ever thought of writing a book? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hang out there for hours! Let me ask, how do you find all of these book signings and gatherings? I'd love to attend things like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a book store lover. As was stated above I love the independent book stores the most. So hard to find. There is a local one though so I am fortunate. This bookstore looks just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- I am so glad you were able to go and meet the authors. I think that is one of the best parts of writing-meeting the readers. We only have one independent book store anymore...but are lucky enough to have a nice Barnes & Noble. You are a lucky duck to have Buttonwood---what a great store!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to hear how authors craft...sounds like you had a great day. Today is gorgeous here in Maryland, just came from a weekend at the beach. On spring break and ready to read a long list of suggestions. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw The Women in the Castle in my local bookstore. Looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great event! You are lucky to have Buttonwood near to you. Austin has few independent book stores these days. When I was teaching, I would spend my Sunday afternoon at Toad Hall, the local children's book store. I could have opened a library when I retired, but instead left my collection of children's books at the school. Buttonwood looks like my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful bookstore and it sounds like such a fun day. I've added both of these to my "must read" list! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like wonderful fun Katie! I can't wait to check the books out!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my idea of a really good time! I love to hear about another writer's process. I guess we all have our own ways to develop a story. The supper looks mighty tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me tell you...book signings do not seem to be a thing in retirement areas (where I live thanks to Mr LBD who is actually living the life of Riley in sunny FL). Even book clubs are, well, different. Thank goodness I can read your recommendations and live vicariously through your signings!-Laurel Bledsoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps..just got a note comment was not published. But there it is above. Cyber Monday Gremlins!

      Delete
  14. She worked on her present book for over seven years? That is refreshing. I shall tell Mom to stop cracking the whip, Sis ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love getting book recommendations, so thank you for yours. I thought it was very interesting how the authors developed their characters before the plot. I've written a novel and did the exact opposite.

    I'm new to your blog and really enjoy your content.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great way to spend time with a friend (although the books themselves are friends, yes?). Books, gifts, food & drink - it would've been hard to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a wonderful place to buy books, gifts and more. I had not read either of these books and have now put them at the top of my list. It sounds like you have a fabulous time, I am looking forward to the report of the next book signing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never been to a book signing, but this one sure sounded wonderful! The bookstore looks fabulous -- think I could spend a day and a lot of money in there! Hope the warm sunny weather is sticking around for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so lucky to have a great independent bookstore near you. I have not read much in the last couple of years but I am looking for something to read while I am laid up with my hip replacement. Which of the above would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts