Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A Trend Setting Hodgepodge



Hello, dear friends.  Everything looks so green after all the rain we had.  I am very excited for tomorrow because I will be attending the Beacon Hill Garden Tour with sweet friends.  This is my third year.  You can read about the previous years here and here.  The weather is supposed to be in the 90's.  Sounds like a tube top and hot pants kind of day to me.  


You know the drill.  
If it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.







1.  May 17th is National Pack Rat Day.  Sidebar - should we be celebrating this?  hmmm...



Are you a pack rat?  






If you asked the Mister, he would tell you that I am.  This is what my closet usually looks like.  I would estimate that only thirty percent of my clothes in my closet actually fit.  What can I say - I'm an eternal optimist.  

I don't want to show an actual photo because it doesn't look this good.






These are actual photos of the Mister's closet.  If he buys 3 shirts, he disposes of 3 shirts.  He carries out this annoying practice with every article of clothing as well as shoes.

We have only shared a closet once in our marriage and we promptly had to move.  It was either that or head to divorce court.



Even if you're not a full-fledged pack rat, most people have one thing or another they struggle to part with.  Tell us what's yours.




I can't part with my Size 4 jeans that I wore for a mere 15 seconds of my life.  These are not my actual pair - mine are locked in a glass case displayed in the living room for all our guests to see.




I also won't part with my drawer full of shoulder pads.
My philosophy has always been the bigger the shoulders, the smaller the waist.

You are free to quote me.





I have a sneaking suspicion that shoulder pads will be back in fashion in no time.




2.  What are two things you know you should know how to do, but you don't? 







I will circle an area for hours in order to avoid parallel parking.





I seldom travel solo, but when I do, I've got a few hang-ups.
When I see technology that I am not familiar with, such as those stupid bag tag machines, I begin to hyperventilate and break out in a cold sweat.  After the paramedics are called and I am revived, an airline agent will approach and volunteer to do it for me help.




And then, it never fails, the tag usually gets stuck to my clothing or I attach it incorrectly.





3.  Do you crave sugar?  Do you add sugar to your coffee and/or tea?  When dining out is dessert a given?  Are you someone who has slain the sugar dragon, and if so tell us how you did it.





Although I constantly crave sugar, I only use powdered creamer in my coffee which probably contains buckets of sugar. 

I try not to have any sugar in the house.  
You can't eat what you don't have, right?


Yesterday, my sugar craving was so intense, I ate a half box of these.  I must have the strongest bones in America.





4.  What's a trend it took a while for you to come round to, but now you can't imagine living without?





Facebook was born when my girls were in high school.  I fought them tooth and nail to keep them off of it.  After being needled to death, I gave in.  When they had been on for a couple of years, I decided that I wanted to hop on the social media train.  As soon as I got on, my girls got off.  Funny how that happened.

There are many things that I don't like about Facebook.  I especially detest the bragging and political rants.  But what I really enjoy is catching up with school buddies, camp mates, and former neighbors (only the good ones) from the past.    






In our early years of marriage, The Mister used to joke that I would go to the grocery store, spend a hundred bucks, and come home with a gallon of milk, a package of diapers, and eight decorating magazines.  That's not too far from the truth.  He forgot to mention the wine.

Although I have a few magazine subscriptions, I lean on Instagram for my style eye candy.  I follow so many talented people.  I also am addicted to the doggie Instagrams, as well.





5.  What's a song that reminds you of a specific incident in your life?  Please elaborate.






Whenever I hear the song Moon River I think of a very special time in my life.





It was played for our first dance at our wedding, otherwise known as the day that I made The Mister the luckiest man in the world.




6.  Insert your own random thought here.




This hits a little too close to home.



Until next time...








My favorite dog Instagram - beaconhilldogs


Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

38 comments:

  1. Haha, you are one of the few people I follow on IG. It's decor, fashion and lots of dogs! Ahhh I love Moon River, reminds me of my parents dancing in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon Echo Silver skit is hysterical! And yes, too close to home! Thanks once again for the morning laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know 'bout that! LOL Love your answers....as my friend Patty once told me---You may be as funny as I think I am. lol I think you and I would have a LOT of laughs together. My one girlfriend and I got giggling so bad when we were in our twenties that we were asked to leave a miniature shop.....I think the giggles started when the MINIATURE SILVER TEA POT was $239....back in the 70s. We might, or might not, have been a tad embarrassed. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! We are the same person,except I know how to parallel park.I know what you're thinking. It's a word that rhymes with "pitch".

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I must say this every week; however, it is completely true. You make me laugh out loud (literally) EVERY week. I completely agree with you - your wedding day - the day you made the mister the luckiest man in the world. I am totally going to use on my mister. I enjoy your writing and am certain we would be best of friends because I adore people who make me laugh. Thanks so much for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always start my Wednesday with a smile if not a chuckle and the today was no exception. Thank you! Loved the Amazon skit and that thing is so needed in my house. Uh-huh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the doggy buddies photo! And of course Moon River and you and your LUCKY Mister. I wish Mr. C. would catch the 'pitching' bug when it comes to his shirts. I'll have to show him your mister's closet to shame him. LOL (right after I purge my own closet, of course). Hope you have a wonderful day. Would love to go on the garden tour. Boston is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your posts are so much fun! I laugh throughout. And you are right. That video clip is a little close to my home. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to start watching SNL again! Without a doubt, you make my Wednesday, Katie. I may not stop chuckling today.
    Packrat, I think I could be the President of the Club on this one. Let's just say, separation is difficult for me. It's organized though........usually! I blame it on being a teacher, even though I've not been retired almost twenty years. You know, a teacher never knows when something is going to be just what she needs for a lesson. And we all know that teachers have to personally provide just about everything for their classroom. And that's the truth!
    I definitely crave sugar! Would love to slay this monster, but........
    Thanks for another fun Hodgepodge. Have a grand time on the garden tour. Eager to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU never let me down!
    Enjoy that tour!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hodgepodge answers ALWAYS make me smile!! Sometime lol! Great pics on the parallel parking which I so identify with. And in agreement about Facebook. I don't have a clue about instagram or snap chat. I think I need to stay away ... far, far away from any more time stealers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't parallel park either. In fact, I nearly always choose a spot I can drive out of. I had perfected my parallel parking skills prior to the driving test, but everything I knew fled my mind when accompanied by a gruff instructor for the road test. He did give me a license, but "strongly suggested I learn to parallel park." I resisted the temptation to strongly suggest that HE look for another line of work, one in which he was not dealing with people. And I have never parallel parked from that day to this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally. Something about the two of us that is different, Sis. I won't keep you guessing. I CAN parallel park! Yes, I'm so good at it that I've slipped behind the wheel for friends on more than one occasion. I've neatly zipped into spots for them as they stood on the sidewalk and watched. Crazy, huh? Mind you, I taught my daughter when she was learning and ... she failed the first road test because of a poor parallel park ... Whoopsies.
    So, when we are next together, Sis, never fear, I shall be happy to do the parking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your answers so much today! I actually belly laughed at some of them :)
    As I clipped a pair of shoulder pads out of a jacket, just the other day, I wondered if they will ever come back in style... I hope not!
    That clip from SNL is hilarious :)
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your answers today - someone just came into my office and I had to quickly turn off the SNL skit - oh my goodness!!! Those shoulder pads . . .please don't let them come back - I don't care how small they make my waist appear!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our husbands are similar : ) Living in the UK forced me to become proficient at parallel parking. Have a great time on the garden tour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I'm a pack rat. Marie Kondo gives me hives just thinking about her. And I wouldn't mind if shoulder pads came back. They actually make my humpy shoulders look straight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm an eternal optimist, too. I have several items in the closet that I am going to fit into one day. They've been in there for about 5 years now. Amazon Echo Silver! I need that to listen to my husband. So I don't have to. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your posts, they always have me laughing :-) That video is so funny.... I can't help but think of my parents, lol ;-) Have a wonderful evening!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. As with everyone else, I am chuckling over the Amazon Echo. So, so funny and yes, I can identify with it too. Yikes! Can't wait to hear about the tour. You have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have fun on your garden tour!
    I am also a latecomer to Facebook, it certainly has its pros and cons!
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds made up, but today I had two flats simultaneously, (several construction sites in my neighborhood) so the SNL skit made me laugh A LOT!!! And those precious doggies made my day. Thank you for always being a bright spot in my day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lady, you could easily do stand up comedy, or at least write for comedians. This was so much fun. Thanks for the cheer in my morning.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here's to the "little" pack rack in all of us. We've all got at least one area we hoard! Our organizer tells me "even organized clutter is clutter". She's no fun sometimes!-Laurel Bledsoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your organizer sounds like a barrel of laughs. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  25. I had to laugh about the luggage tag because I always seem to get it stuck to my clothes somehow! Yes, I crave sugar and really have to keep it away from my house. Ice cream never lasts around here! I love IG for the quick inspiration fix when I am in line at the grocery store or basically any other minute of the day I can get to look at my phone! I follow way too many people with dogs!... Enjoy your weekend!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a funny one - love the amazon clip, still chuckling over it! Last week my BFF on the Cape asked me what I was wearing on Monday to Bleu and I told her a tube top, hot pants and HIGH HEELS - guess we will be twins!! Enjoy your trip to the gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chuckling through your entire post!! Late catching up on Hodgepodges but I sure enjoyed every minute of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great as always and has me laughing at how we could be kindred spirits on so many issues. That SNL spot about Alexa was probably one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. If we can't laugh at ourselves, all is lost! :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Katie, you are too funny for words. Love your take on things. have a fabulous weekend. Love the doggie photo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Katie, I do love your posts. I was going to say I love you, but that looked creepy when I typed it. Our first dance was Moon River too!!! My husband's choice.…mine was "Leather and Lace" by Stevie Nicks but the band didn't know that one.
    I don't brag, ever!! but I am a stellar parallel parker and the fact that ALL my kids agree MUST mean its' true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna... will you be my shopping partner? I'll buy lunch if you take care of the parking. Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding, I would love to be your shopping partner. Have not been to you neck of the woods since my daughter graduated from BC but I will promise to look you up if
      you will do the same if you get to the west coast. As in Pasadena, CA. Or we can meet in the middle, as a middle child I am very accommodating like that :) Only 93% today!

      Delete
  31. Funny video! I haven't seen it and I cracked up. As for your list, I'm an excellent parallel parker, because that's what we have downtown, and if you park all cattywompus, there are people who will take a picture of your car and post it to a site on facebook about bad parking skills in town! It's such a small town, everyone knows whose car it is!!! The pressure is definitely on to get it right the first time! Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You always make me laugh! So sorry your post comes a day late in my email box, because I definitely would have been standing on my front lawn waving the flag on Packrat Day. I am the veritable poster child. Shoulder pads ARE coming back, I am sure of it, because, you guessed it, I have a box of them I saved. They definitely do make the waist and hips narrower. Edith Head said so, and she should know. Sugar deprivation is not pretty... no more needs to be said. I personally love the political rants on FB. I repost the very funny ones! I have been known to spend all the week's grocery budget on wine and decorating magazines before I was old and wise. Now I just spend it all on wine. Everyone knows you get smarter as you age. You definitely were a beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOL every time you do these posts, you need to write a book.....or do stand up:):) I have WAY too many clothes, they are in 3 closets in this house! My poor hubby has one tiny closet. I am glad I don't crave sugar, but salty is another story. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Again, too funny! I have a "tiny" pack rat thing, mostly under control. My closet is 90% tidy. Ok, maybe 80...

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts