Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Friday Files



Hello, dear friends.  I'm a day early, but still a dollar short this week.  Tomorrow, I am headed with three of my buddies to the Cape for a literary luncheon.  I won't be taking any pics outside because it is supposed to rain all day.  Oh well, my hydrangeas are happy.   




Here are some photos of the Lake Forest Showhouse.
I spent four years (almost five) going to college in beautiful Lake Forest.
Unfortunately, Barat College had to close their doors because they had trouble recruiting super smart, beautiful girls who also happened to be future trophy wives.








*****






This gorgeous estate can be found in the great state of Virginia.






I don't think that I would have to take Tylenol PM ever again if I slept in this gorgeous room.


*****



This lovely home in Martha's Vineyard is known as The Cliff Cottage.







Good news...


It's for sale.




******











I found these photos in an article written about unique window treatments for bedrooms.  There are 30 more examples here.


*****







If you're interested in taking a road trip through my original home state, you'll enjoy reading this.


*****



Speaking of reading, need some suggestions for this Summer's beach reads?
They're right here.


*****



If you're thinking about grilling some pizzas this weekend, here are some helpful tips.


*****






Did you know that your iPhone can work as a level?
Fourteen more tips and tricks can be found right here.


*****







I'm almost finished listening to this one.  
It is a captivating story that is beautifully written. 




I'm still reading this inspiring novel about love, life's challenges, human flaws and bold courage.
I'm taking my time because I don't want it to end.
Stay tuned for my review.


*****



The Ozzie and Harriet of national politics are back on the air May 30th.
I can't help but wonder if it will seem as crazy now as it did last year.


*****





I just finished watching the last show of the season of Call the Midwife.  I can't believe that I have to wait a whole year to spend time with these delightful characters again.

If you're looking for a good show to binge watch this weekend, I highly recommend this one.
  



Scoop:  Guess who is dating in real life.
Yup, you heard it here first.


*****




Meanwhile, I am off to celebrate the day.
It's National Wine Day!


Have a great weekend.

Until next time...



Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

22 comments:

  1. Have a fabulous day on the Cape! I talked to Phyllis last night and she said they have had nothing but rain this spring. She wants to plant her window boxes! ;-)
    Actually I'd be happy on the Cape rain or shine! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for an excellent choice of books, shows and gorgeous homes. I live in Chicago and know Lake Forest well.

    I Pinned a few books...God help me if I don't stop buying and actually start reading!

    Have a great weekend with your friends!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of beautiful (charity) house tours in Lake Forest mansions on the Lake.

    Thanks for the phone tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great houses and bedrooms. Have a lovely weekend! I'm sure it will stop raining. Soon. Soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fabulous time on the Cape! Thanks for the phone tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday my friend!! I am green with envy over your literary weekend! Enjoy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing estate, even more amazing YOU!!! Have the most glorious long weekend beautiful lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie I would love to be on the Cape today even if it does rain! Those window treatments in your link are pretty spectacular, but I really couldn't take my eyes off some of the beds! I could definitely become quite the lady of leisure in one of those rooms. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time this weekend! I loved seeing the proposed road trip through CT, among all the other eye candy links shared here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I always enjoy a showhouse. We gave up on House of Cards a couple of seasons ago. Maybe we need a re-visit. I've been watching King Charles III (Masterpiece Theater)--it's all in blank verse. Good thing I was an English major. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister loves "call the midwife" - I haven't watched it yet but she just told me about it yesterday and now I'm reading your post . . .maybe I need to watch! Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm saving this for the weekend to savor. I did time at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart For Girls! Lake Forest is still so gorgeous. FTW

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your weekend Katy. I would never tire at looking at these gorgeous home. Cheers to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Friday files have me wanting to redo my bedroom!

    And OH! The Midwives. Wasn't Barbara's dress lovely? I'll miss them for a very long while. But I was glad to hear they started filming the season 7 Christmas special and more on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, now all my tabs are full across the top of my screen...I love clicking all you link suggestions every Friday! Call the Midwife is definitely my favorite British drama now that Downton Abbey is finished. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot believe I have missed this season of Call the Midwife! I have it set to record, but I am having problems with my provider and that DVR box. I am going to have to find it online somewhere, I guess.

    I always love your book suggestions. I have read some good ones lately some of which are yours.

    That Lake Forest Show house was an incredible house -- and I also saved that green toile bedroom. Great minds, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Call the Midwife! Great show! The house on the Cape and the one in Virginia are ones I could move right into. The Lake Forest house, is not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful day for literary luncheons and reading! Nothing I love better than reading in the rain. The Mother's Promise has been added to my ever growing list. Happy weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, now here's a thought. If you simply purchase that abode on the cliff, I promise Bert and I will pop over for at least a month's visit. We can binge on House of Cards, natter on about the heavenly Call the Midwife and celebrate National Wine Day! Brilliant. So, get right on that, ok, Sis?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always scroll down to the book recommendations first Katie...put my books on my TBR list on Good Reads then go back and read the whole post. I love Call the Midwife as well...great cast and great stories.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts