Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Hodgepodge with Ups & Downs


Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you are having a good week.  As you will hear in this week's Hodgepodge, mine had its share of ups and downs.


1. What would you say is your biggest day to day challenge?



I have two.




Here's what I am up against.  This is how I spent most of last evening.  Due to thunderstorms, I had to put a barrier up to keep Chili in the sunroom with me.   Otherwise, she scratches the woodwork on the door.
And if she gets out, she tears the house apart. 
This is after two Xanax.
For her not for me.


Plan B

We had to put more boundaries up in the butler's pantry while the Mister and I attempted to have a nice quiet dinner in the kitchen.
It didn't happen.




2. May 16th is National Biographers Day. What's a biography you really enjoyed reading? 

Two autobiographies came to mind.



I read both of these books years ago and really enjoyed them.


Is this a genre you read regularly?

No, not on a regular basis.
But I do have one on my Summer reading list.

Amazon


One of my wonderful readers suggested this one to me. 


3. How important is keeping a clean house? 



 

meetingsconcierge

I love having a clean house.  

However, it may not be as organized as someone else would like it.
My guy hates clutter.
His clutter is my treasures.


Do you need to de-clutter your life?

Maykemhazmut solutions

I'm not so sure I do.
However, the Mister has a difference of opinion.


4. You're the 8th dwarf. 
What's your name?


Menopause Matters

Clumsy.  
*See random thought.


5. What's surprised you the most about your life or life in general?

The thing that surprised me the most is that I am not depressed or sad about getting older.  

istock/anna

But then again, when you look as good as I do, you don't mind hitting 45.


Sorry I look fat in this pic.

I had a huge lunch.
I ate a carrot.



6. Insert your own random thought here.


A funny thing happened to me on my way to writing Sunday's post.  I spilled my strawberry smoothie on my laptop.  Thankfully, the Mister was in the shower, and I chose to keep it a secret.

jr. appliance repairman

After 15 minutes of clean-up and hiding the evidence in the washing machine, I tested out the laptop to survey the damage.



Everything worked except the numbers on the right-hand side.



I kept picturing the Mister coming down the stairs and catching me cleaning up the evidence.


Geeks


On Monday, I showed up at 9:00AM at Best Buy with computer in hand only to find out that they do not open until 10:00AM.  I was the first and only customer in the store and went directly to Mr. Geek.  He told me that he couldn't take me until noon. 



I then decided to drown my sorrows at Ulta.  
I went outside the box and tried out some new looks.


dogma chronicle

Just when I was on the verge of finding the perfect blush, the Mister called me to ask whether I made an appointment at the Geeks.  Evidently, his email was on file, and he received a confirmation.
Darn those Geeks!

I told the Mister that I had the problem with some keys sticking.  He said OK with a tone that spoke volumes.  He didn't believe me.


Geeks

This time I was met by a younger, newer model Mr. Geek.  He was sporting huge discs in his ears.  What's that all about, anyway?

kls.com

As I shared my tale of woe, younger, newer Mr. Geek begins to shake his head and tells me that water damage is very difficult and expensive to fix.  He then looks up the parts needed to fix the computer and breaks it to me that he doesn't have them in stock.  

He suggests calling the manufacturer.
I suggest calling a plastic surgeon to fix his ears.

The minute I got into the car my phone rings.  Guess who.  The Mister asks if I got the keys fixed.  I break down and tell him the real story.  Actually, I told him it was coffee - it sounded a lot less destructive.

Calmly, the Mister told me that he would talk to his IT guy and look at it when he got home.

The Mister did exactly that.  He sat down, pushed a couple of keys and the right-hand keys worked like a charm.  It turns out that the number lock was on.  I didn't even know I had a number lock!

So far, my computer is working like a dream.
Knock knock on wood.

Don't you love happy endings?

Until next time...


My Dog Is Cool
  

Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

36 comments:

  1. I have saved my Hubby's laptops several times from wine! I threatened him with buying him a wine sippy cup, and after that he got very careful with drinking wine near his laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your smoothie spill story! Kick Kennedy's biography was good - https://www.amazon.com/Kick-Kennedy-Charmed-Favorite-Daughter/dp/1250115930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526471796&sr=8-1&keywords=kick+kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL....Your post had me cracking up.
    What are those discs in the ears for anyway?
    So glad your computer is working like a charm.
    Your hubby sounds like mine when it comes to what they call clutter.


    Have a great Hodgepodge Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To damn funny! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your pups keep you busier than your children ever did!! Poor Rosemary, the book must be a sad one?? Happy that the computer made it thru the crisis - If i see you with discs in your ears, I am going to pretend I do not know you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I love your blog so much! You make me laugh out loud for real! Those sweet dogs look so innocent in that first pic. I too wonder about the ear thing. Geez! Most of those guys are geeks, but most are fairly helpful. I'm happy your laptop is up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly that exact story could have been told by me. I try to cover up my mishaps too : ) How do they always know??? I'm glad yours was fixable. I had to get a new keyboard when mine got wet. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read Rosemary and I think it is very enlightening about views on mental retardation in the early part of the 20th century. So glad you got your computer fixed...we just cannot live without them can we? Oh and the picture of the lady who used to be on Newhart...I know she was the librarian on there as well as on another show that I cannot think of but we watched regularly. She is such a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can always count on you for a chuckle! Too funny the Geek didn't figure out the numbers lock was on. Do you have a thunder shirt for Chili? My friends swear by them. Also, they make collars and such (Petsmart carries them, but I am sure you can find on Amazon) that have these calming patches you put in them. When Katie's Golden was neutered we used a soft collar that had a pocket for one of the patches...lavender I think. It was night and day once he had that on. Might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok the story of the laptop made me forget everything else. I had to go back and reread the other stuff, so I could make a comment. Seriously that would be so me trying to keep from Hubby, but it never works out.
    Poor Chili and you too for having to watch her be so miserable. My Golden doesn't like the sound of rain. Thunder doesn't bother her, but the soothing sound of rain sends her to her kennel box. Fortunately the kennel box is enough.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am literally sitting in a parking lot at Sams Club reading blogs cause I thought they opened at 9....it’s 10. Too bad there is not an Ulta nearby, lol. Great Hodgepod, lol. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always love your blog. Have you tried a thundercoat for your dog? Some friends have had great success with it. It evidently helps our pups to feel more secure during storms. Might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this Katie...I have read the book on Rosemary...tragic and compelling....such a fun, funny post! Big hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the morning laughs! Sounds like you have had some adventures between the dog and the computer! My Rosie was hiding under the bed when the storms came through. She wouldn't even get out when they ended so my husband took advantage of the situation and changed the smoke detector battery. He figured she was already under the bed so why not make some extra noise! I loved the Rob Lowe book too. I also loved his book, Love Life. He told some heartwarming stories about his kids and had me in tears. He is such an entertaining writer and SO good looking. I think he looks even more handsome now than ever. Anyway, great post! Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sitting in the beauty salon and burst out laughing reading your post on the computer drama. Tooooo funny! Glad it had a happy ending! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie , Have you ever tried the "storm" jacket for you pup? Might do the trick>

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge! Had me chuckling.
    You might like to consider thunder shirts for your dog and there are also herbal collars that work wonders to calm animals.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, poor Chili. Poor you! I hope you do not have any storms for awhile. I hate when stuff happens to my computer, it makes me feel old and stupid when I cannot figure it out.

    I will have to check out the books.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, that computer story. And if it hasn't been for that darned numbers lock!!! Say, have you tried a Thundershirt for Chili? I hear they do wonders to calm dogs during storms. And thanks for the recommendation of the Kennedy daughter bio.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I giggled all the way through this. Thanks for the fun. Those dogs!!! Oh my goodness. Poor babies and poor you. Glad the laptop is working fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alls well that ends well. Sounds like you dodged a bullet on this one. Key Lock?????

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Katie, you are a hoot! So glad your keys aren't sticking anymore...ha! And getting back to those pups of yours...those poor babies! I was actually dog sitting with some friends dogs once and when I went to feed them, there had been a thunderstorm before i got there. Well, the dog had ripped nearly all the baseboards and door framing off one of the doors. I nearly died! I sure hope you can find a solution to their fear. What a week, I'll say!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad your computer story had a happy ending! (and it was quite a story!)
    It's a shame your dog is so terrified of thunder storms. Poor thing (and poor you!)
    I actually own the Barbara Walters book, and came close to buying Rob Lowes' book, too!
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, that was so funny!! Good 'ol numbers lock! (Your poor Chili! I hope he wasn't scared for too long.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love computer happy endings! I was at vet yesterday with our miley cyrus of berners and a woman was picking up a script for her dog who freaks out during thunderstorms. My dog freaks out when we park in the parking lot for the vet! laura

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed your post, lol ! Poor doggy so afraid of thunder ? My friend's dog also got hysterical and had to take pills to calm him, with the same success as you !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Katie, I wish I was as funny as you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your computer woes made me laugh so hard I had to tell Mr. B., who was sitting in the same room, he laughed too! I love your writing style. :-)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always know I'm going to get a great laugh - the perfect way to start my day. We must have been separated at birth! I can't tell you how many computer disasters I've had over the years, but mine usually end up with a new computer having to be purchased...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gives great confidence in the geek squad, doesn't it? My former work IT person takes care of me. I hope she doesn't retire soon...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my, Katie, you do make me smile. I loved your computer story.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great late night laughs, Katie! You must stop eating the carrot, it will bloat you! The computer story is a good one, sounds like something I would do. I am so glad it is working.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so glad that your computer story had a happy ending. At this point in my life, I only want to read about happy endings.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. We used to have an Irish Setter that insisted sitting on my lap during storms! Not fun! Hope your computer keeps working! Thanks for the laughs!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  35. Poor Chili. Love the photo of you at the beach. Where did you get your suit?

    Annie g

    ReplyDelete
  36. Katie,
    You are my type of gal. I cherish everything you write. You are so hilarious and I read many to my "Mister" so he can get good laughs too. I wish I had known you when we both lived in the Dallas area. You played tennis as I many times and was a total failure. Socializing was mor my cup of tea. I tried at my club - Bent Tree - but I failed terribly as my instructor would talk to me about not doing my "Peter Pan leaps."

    Your Geek squad experience really hit home as I had to do the same thing this week. Fortunately they were able to find my problem (Norton's does NOT find all viruses and spyware!) Yes there is a number lock but since I don't use it I would have been in your boat! Funny they didn't find that for you. And I laughed so hard to your description of Mr. Geek. You should have seen the three I worked with! Odd earrings and hair that made me ask myself if we lived on the same planet. And I truly understand all the texting your mister got. They would text me constantly with updates and appointments etc. Not good for some of us gals who enjoy keeping some of our "personal mystic" to ourselves. We live in Austin now so was interested in your visit here. Hope your fabulous Dad is doing well! Love your pups too. I have always had Westies, most of the time three all together - so I howl at your pup stories. Trust me, I understand.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts