Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Hodgepodge with a Side of Salsa



Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you are enjoying your week.  The weather is positively gorgeous.  We've had a lot of rain which has made everything green.  I would be so happy if it were like this all year round.

You know the drill.
If it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.







1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Is there a flower you associate with a particular memory? Explain.

kidsingardens.com

When I was about six years old, I was allowed to walk to my friend's house four doors away.  It was my first brush with independence, and I was loved every minute of it.

One of the houses was owned by an elderly couple, Mr. and Mrs. Keating.  Now that I think about it, they were probably about my age now.  They were childless and so sweet to me.

Mrs. Keating was an avid gardener.  Their home always had the most beautiful gardens.  On my way home one day, I decided that I would surprise my Mom with a bouquet.  I picked every blessed daffodil in the Keating's pristine yard.


Quia

When my Mom met me at the door, I had the biggest smile on my face.  I couldn't figure out why my Mom wasn't delighted with the flowers.  She lost all color in her face and looked horrified.  This was not the reception that I had expected.  Evidently, she was so wrapped up in warning me about stranger danger that she forgot to review the chapter about not picking other people's flowers in the training manual.

My Mom took my hand, and we went over to talk to the lovely couple.  They were so sweet and actually laughed when they heard the story.  Or maybe they were just laughing at my Mom's face.

Anyway, to this day I can't look at a daffodil without breaking into a cold sweat. 



2. Last time you helped someone? Tell us how.


Sincerely Princewill

Over the weekend, I helped a lady get into the hotel elevator with six pieces of luggage.  I asked her how long she was staying and she answered the weekend.

And the Mister thinks that I overpack.




3. It's National Salsa Month (the food, not the dance) so tell us, do you like salsa? Hot, medium, or mild? Homemade, store-bought, or from your favorite restaurant only?




I miss the salsa in Texas.  Last Summer, I made these two salsas for a neighborhood happy hour.  A few of the ladies even asked me for the recipes!!  That was a first.




4. When I was twelve years old...

AFP/My SA

When I was twelve-years-old, I was battling the ravages of puberty while fighting my daffodil demons.





5. It's the first of May so let's run with it-first things first, don't know the first thing about it, first dibs on something, first impression, first rate, first cousin, first string, first come first served, at first light-which phrase can best be applied to something in your life currently or even recently?


My first cousin, John and his lovely wife Debbie from California came to my Dad's birthday party.  I hadn't seen them since their wedding. 



6. Insert your own random thought here.



This was me on Sunday night... 


after I watched my favorite show.
Did anyone see it?

No spoilers here!

Until next time...


Sadie the funny naughty dog
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

35 comments:

  1. Oh dear! My daughter did the same thing you did with the Daffodils, only she picked Lady Slippers. I was so upset, but looking back, I really shouldn't have been. I simply should have explained so as not to run into problems in the future. Life is so short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your daffodil memory. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to pick flowers from all over the place when I was a kid and one of my favorite places was our neighbor's backyard garden. It's a good thing they were my cousin's grandparents. LOL One of my four lovely daughters couldn't stop herself from over packing if she tried and she won't try because she NEEDS everything she takes or she might need it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes I saw Call the Midwife...have already discussed it with my friend, and fellow fan, Whitney. It is one of my favorite shows as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole season of Call the Midwife has been nothing but tissue moments. Phyllis sitting on the steps at the very end was just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not on my list of favorite shows, but I can tell you I was very sad when Chief Inspector George Gently bit the dust. I guess it's pretty final that there will be no more episodes. 😟

    My grandpa's little neighbor boys picked every one of his tulips and daffodils one spring. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each time my little grand nieces visit, they want to pick bouquets of flowers to take home. Makes me smile every time! Of course we love salsa here! It's a staple in the fridge. Happy Wednesday, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you cry on Call the Midwife? I did. Sobbed my eyes out. Rick came by after music practice to watch The Unforgotten with me (love that) and thought someone had died. No spoilers...

    Your daff story reminded me of picking Mrs. Jackson's cherries and opening a stand. My mother was horrified. I had to take the cherries back to her and apologize. Gee, Katie, we were both just trying to be nice! (Well, you were being nicer than me -- they were for your mom!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I cry??? I needed an oxygen tank. Ask the Mister.

      Delete
  9. Katie, your daffodil story is priceless! No one on my street had pretty flowers except my Mom! Thanks for the salsa recipes, they sound great. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I saw it. I knew what was going to happen because I'd stumbled on a spoiler a while ago and I still needed a box of tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the daffodil story . . and really love the picture of the lady's face!! Sheer horror!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute daffodil memory.

    Love your picture you look so grown up :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I saw Call the Midwife! I always seem to cry for this show, but this week was especially a tear jerker. My favorite show year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, that daffodil story was so cute...it reminds me of a story my hubby told me about when he was little and picked all of the strawberry blossoms off the neighbor's plants! I have only watched Call the Midwife a few times but now am stuck on A Place to Call Home...do you watch it? Ah yes...those 12 year old school photos are something else aren't they. We had the same idea I see...kinda...except you don't look like Miss Piggy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your daffodil story! Ha Ha Now I'll think of you when I see daffodils :)
    I love Call the Midwife, but haven't seen last week's show, yet. Guess I'm going to need a hanky, huh?
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie, your daff story is so darn sweet! Daffodils are my favorite flower. I have to say my favorite salsa is from Trader Joe's, green Salsa Verde. Honestly, I could drink the stuff! Hope you are enjoying a wonderful week.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great daffodil story! I love your humor, always get a smile when I visit here...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness...I was such a mess during Call the Midwife! Ugh. Loved the daffodil story. Your poor mother...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! Joe and I were both in tears after Midwife!! Wow. I enjoyed your HP answers today and loved the daffodil story. Bless their hearts... and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the daffodil story. I am not caught up on Call the Midwife but your post tells me I should have tissues handy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sob, sob and sob again. Devastating

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the daffodil story. Easy to imagine the humor the neighbor's felt when they heard the story from your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also started to be a teenager at 12. I looked much older and that became also a problem because inside I was still a child.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes! Cried at the end of Call the Midwife as well. Somehow that show just keeps getting better and with so many different characters too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was very sad of the ending of CTM. It just made me very sad. Love your flower story!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I regret not watching Call the Midwife when it started. Guess I will have to ask the kids for the boxed set for it for a birthday gift.
    Enjoy every degree of these hot temps.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the opposite story of daffodils. My grandmother had so many of them in her yard, it was the only flower I was allowed to pick - as many as I could hold! When they first appear (in the grocery stores usually) I actually get a tear in my eye, thinking about grandmother! — but I still love your story! You were a cutie, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is the most delightful story about the flowers you picked for your mother! Laugh out Loud on the luggage. That was so sweet of them to come to your dads party. Cute photo. I love Call The Midwife. It's the season finale this Sunday :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your telling of the daffodils is hysterical!
    Mostly, I love looking at your fur babies ... what great names!

    ReplyDelete
  30. By any chance was that Tinsley you helped into the elevator? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Greetings! I loved your daffodil story. SWMBO has daffodils in our front yard. Me, not a flower person. I hope nothing else breaks either. Over the past 18 months we have had enough. Thank you for your visit and your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your daffodil story 🤣
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the daffodil story.I had a reverse story when I could not for the life of me understand why daddy was pulling the petite little yellow "flowers" in the front yard. Makes me smile when I see a dandelions popping up this time of year! We are hosting a Cinco de Mayo party tonight. Weather looks great in Denver. laura

    ReplyDelete
  34. Once again, thanks for the laughs.........though having been The Mum on the receiving end of the daffodil story, I really felt for your mum!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts