Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Friday Files

Hello, dear friends.  Usually, I am a day late and a dollar short, but today I'm a day early and still a dollar short with The Friday Files.  I've got a lot going on this weekend, and I still haven't figured out how to schedule post publications ahead of time.  I may be a supermodel trophy wife, but I lack technology skills.   

Here is what is on my radar this week.









Guess who just bought this English Country House?  George and his current wife, Amal.  Take a peek inside here.





In honor of St. Paddy's Day, here are some gorgeous green rooms.




Renovating your kitchen?
Don't make these mistakes according to Martha.




*****




Need some ideas for setting your Easter table?
There are plenty here.



There is also oodles of inspiration for Easter and Spring centerpieces here.



*****





On a low-carb diet?  
Here are the top three most popular recipes on Pinterest.







If you are on a high-carb diet such as myself, here is Bon Appetit's recipe for puppy chow.


*****





This darling couple gave me a great idea for the Mister and me.


*****



Here are some words of wisdom for your high school senior.






And here is some advice for you parents out there who are facing a rollercoaster of a summer with your soon to be college freshman.


*****



My dear friend, TJ, sent me this New York Times article written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  It is a heartbreaking dating profile for her husband.  Warning:  have a tissue box handy.

*****




Good news.  One of my favorite fictional characters will be back between the pages in the Spring of 2018.




 Amazon 



I just finished this book last night.  One of the reasons I picked it up is because I am going to a book signing for it at the end of the month.  It has an intriguing premise.  A woman, Maddy, who appeared to have everything commits suicide.  She is one of three narrators in the book.  Maddy is very funny and quite sincere in her efforts to find a new wife and stepmother for the family that she left behind.  You would think that this book would be depressing, but it's quite the contrary.  I Liked My Life is heartwarming and as well as witty.









I am thrilled to be starting Kristy Woodson Harvey's new novel tonight.  Kristy and her beautiful Mom are at the helm of one of my favorite design blogs, Design Chic.  I have read two other delicious page turners written by Kristy, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.  Slightly South of Simple is available for pre-order on Amazon.  It comes out next month.


Until next time...
















Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

20 comments:

  1. I look forward to you and the mister dressing like twins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALSO finished "I Liked My Life" last night! #readingtwins Have a great weekend, my dear!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have I Liked My Life on my list of reads for the week...hope to get to it. Love George's new digs but not sure I would want a big cat looking big enough to eat me staring at me from my wall. lol

    Have a wonderful weekend with your family/hubby/dogsters! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for all of the links, Katie. They all look interesting and I have to check them out. Great round~up!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy weekend, Katie. Always entertaining, your FF. I especially liked the mistakes on kitchens. While I'm paying attention, it seems my workers sometimes forget #6 and 7. Whew boy, Rosenathal's profile for her husband....and what a guy! Speaking of guys, I always find it hilarious when mine and I start our day like that cute couple you mentioned. I guess it just happens after living together so long....:)
    Hope your weekend includes some R&R along with the busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links and book reviews. Loved the cute couple, can't wait to see if you and mister try it. I may see if Jim is interested.........off to see the gorgeous English Country House!
    Have a wonderful weekend Katie.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this round up. Thank you for reading Slightly South of Simple! I so hope you enjoy it!!! Happy weekend. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great weekend, Katie! Keep warm. Don't worry, March snow never stays around long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your Friday files! Thanks for sharing! Boo hoo - snow in Nebraska this weekend! :( Hope you have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed out loud (at my desk, no less!!) when I looked at the pictures of the cute couple who dresses alike. I wonder if she sews some of those shirts, etc. so that they match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Katie, so many goodies here! I have already set my Easter table and made oodles spring centerpieces in my head, not to mention getting caught up on my reading! thanks for the info and fun, happy Friday!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katie,

    As always you share so many wonderful things. I did a little further research on Amy Rosenthal, the writer who is suffering from cancer, and the love story of her and her husband Jason. Amy has been inspirational to Malcom Mitchell, NFL player for the Patriots, he shares a message to her. It just shows how impactful we all are. And now after drying my tears from her inspirational article, I too will try to have even a small impact-----

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friday, Katie! That English manor is the stuff of English fantasy! I'm in the mood to make a trip to England again, soon. Costa Rica is on my near horizon and that will be a new kind of adventure. Thank you for sharing this link to Amy Rosenthal's essay. Beyond touching...what a gift she is giving to her husband and family. Their love story is epic and inspiring.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Friday Files!
    George and Amal's house is in ruins - clearly just like their marriage.
    Puppy chow is addictive.
    A roller coaster of a summer with your soon-to-be college freshman - been there, done that - ugh.
    Amy K. Rosenthal's article is so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having just been informed my my GI doc that I need to go low-carb, I just loved your Puppy Love link...

    The books sound intriguing -- and the article is beyond touching. I can't close without commenting about the cute little couple and their matching outfits. The husband and I have been married 26 years as well. His closet/bath is upstairs, mine is downstairs. When he comes down all ready to go out and about, and I emerge from my chrysalis (a/k/a my bath dressing room) inevitably we match. So weird... It is never planned -- it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual, you brought some insight and amusement into my day. Be sure to give us an update on the mister's latest outfits. I think you should definitely start with the black and white checks. Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola y aloha, dear Sis. You had me at puppy chow. I was grinning ear to ear over the photo. And then I read the article written by the wife who was dying. Oh man. Absolutely devastating. (I shall not sully this by telling you that my hubby and I would have celebrated our 26th last year. No, and I also don't want to get Burt upset. He does get jealous so easily.) So. Onwards. I made a bucket of puppy chow and while my jaws are aching and I'm 18 pounds heavier, I'm ready to investigate George and Amal's new cottage. I'm a wee bit concerned that there might just not be quite enough room for the twins but their parents do have incomes that could accommodate a wee reno or two. How clever of you to include Martha's kitchen reno tips. Now all I need to make me feel really better is for you to post a pic or ten of you and the mister in matching outfits. Golly, it'll be like the Sound of Music all over again. How're your singing voices?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I've started Slightly South of Simple too! I've read about three chapters and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I spy a graphic (complete with a watermark!) made via Pic Monkey. And you say you aren't tech savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just adore that centerpiece! I am so eager for spring and Easter time. Now that I'm back home I have to power decorate and get my spring colors on! Lots of fun things here!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts