Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Monday, August 5, 2013

A Couple of Book Reviews

We had a great weekend.  Both our little chickadees were home and nobody sleeps better than me when the two of them are tucked-in upstairs and asleep in their beds.  We went out for some great lunches and the Mister outdid himself in the dinner department.

Nothing says summer to me more than pina coladas, Lilly Pulitzer dresses, temps in the 100's, and the release of an Elin Hildebrand book.  I have read every one of her books and have enjoyed them all.  






Here is the recap, courtesy of Amazon.



The Carmichaels and the Grahams have gathered on 

Nantucket for a wedding. Plans are being made according to the wishes of the bride's late mother, who left behind The Notebook: specific instructions for every detail of her youngest daughter's future nuptials. Everything should be falling into place for the beautiful event--but in reality, things are far from perfect.
While the couple-to-be are quite happy, their loved ones find their own lives crumbling. In the days leading up to the wedding, love will be questioned, scandals will arise, and hearts will be broken and healed. Elin Hilderbrand takes readers on a touching journey in BEAUTIFUL DAY--into the heart of marriage, what it means to be faithful, and how we choose to honor our commitments.

In three words... I loved it.  Hildebrand did a fabulous job inventing characters that were multi-faceted and believable; that's one of the main things I look for in a book.  I don't have to identify with the character but I have to walk away with a feeling of knowing them.
The book highlights all the chaos and drama of two families coming together for a very special day. 

I enjoyed every word of Beautiful Day and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fun, light beach read.


*****




I read a review of this book in People Magazine.  I immediately ordered it.  Here is a synopsis, courtesy of Amazon.

Jodi and Todd are at a bad place in their marriage. Much is at stake, including the affluent life they lead in their beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago, as she, the killer, and he, the victim, rush haplessly toward the main event. He is a committed cheater. She lives and breathes denial. He exists in dual worlds. She likes to settle scores. He decides to play for keeps. She has nothing left to lose. Told in alternating voices, The Silent Wife is about a marriage in the throes of dissolution, a couple headed for catastrophe, concessions that can’t be made, and promises that won’t be kept.


Every time this book is mentioned, it is compared to Gone Girl.  Granted, the premise is similar, however, this book is written so beautifully, The Silent Wife can stand on it's own.

  
It is narrated in two voices: his and hers.  I felt that the author allowed me a birds eye view of the characters' egos, emotions and motivating forces behind their actions.

The book is not a long one.  It is filled with twists and turns and will keep you guessing until the bitter end. 


Just as a side note, when the Mister saw my book's title, The Silent Wife, he asked me with a chuckle if it was an instruction manual.  I told him yes, in a way it was.  It's tells you how to kill your husband.  The Mister quickly lost the chuckle in his voice and the color in his face.

Never hurts to keep him on his toes.


Hope you get lost in a book today.








  
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

12 comments:

  1. i always am in need of someone to recommend books to me. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to add this to my growing list! I so need to turn off the tv and start reading my stack!! I miss carpool line...that is when I read. Too funny...my hubby probably would have made the same assumption regarding The Silent Wife. LOL Picked up Gone Girl the other day...cannot wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply said in four words....I loved this Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read and am actually in a book club and just finished my book. The book by Hilderbrand sounds good. Love the dog. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding The Silent Wife to my reading list - your response to your husband - too funny :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL- Katie- He lost his sense of humor pretty quick there, didn't he?;>) I am going to look for that last book! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost ordered Beauitful Day last week - but someone gave me A Suitable Boy - which I think is 1400 pages long - so need to get through that one first.
    LOL at your conversation with your Husband - too funny - they fall into it - constantly!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding to my list - just not enough hours in the day to read everything that I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Beautiful Day too! I was probably one of the few not smitten with Gone Girl. I did love Tell the Wolves I'm Home, picked it up in paperback at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katie, Beautiful Day is next is on my side table and waiting for me to finish A Hundred Summers. I'll be taking it on vacation with me! I was SO glad you gave it a good rating:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katie...I really enjoyed Beautiful Day (and all of her other books as well). I downloaded The Silent Wife onto my iPad last night after reading your post and am already loving it. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like that dog - lol. Glad you address the plus size gal because I am plus size. My favorite is the very first one - beautiful girl and dress!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts