Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Hodgepodge Monopoly

Hello, dear friends.  I hope you all are having a good week.  Mine is going well.  I have a book club to look forward to this evening and a great lunch with friends tomorrow.  

In the meantime... it's time for Hodgepodge.    






1.What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general?





I think the most painful, necessary lesson to learn and teach my children is that life is not fair.  



On the upside, life also holds many wonderful surprises.




2.  Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year.... awesomesauce, beer o'clock, brain fart, butt dial, cat cafe (apparently this is a real thing), fatberg (gross-read definition here) fat shame, hangry, Mx (gender neutral) and skippable.



Your thoughts?  In looking over the list, which word do you find most ridiculous?  Which word would you never in a million years say out loud?  Which word would you be most likely to use in conversation?






I would say that I would use the word hangry the most.  No question about it, anything can set me off when I am hungry.  The Mister is the same way.  If we ever come to your house, keep us fed.  Otherwise, it ain't pretty. 

I would never in a million years use the word fatberg and it is also the most ridiculous and disgusting word in my opinion.
  



3.  Do you like gravy?  Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy?  Do you make your own or buy the canned or store made variety?  Turkey and gravy, sausage gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast gravy... which one is your favorite?





I am not a gravy lover. However, I could be talked into trying one or five helpings of biscuits smothered in chocolate gravy. 




4.  Do you have a plan?  Do you need a plan?  Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces?  Explain.

I am a planner.  I would rather have a plan fall into a trillion pieces than not have a plan.


I don't use technology for my planning.  I write everything down in a pretty planner with my hot pink gel pen.



 5.  November is National Play Monopoly Day.  Do you own the original or some version of the game?  Do you enjoy playing Monopoly?  How likely is it you'll play the game of Monopoly on November 19th?  Ever been to Atlantic City?  Ever ride on a railroad?  Is parking in your town free?  Last thing you took a chance on?






The likelihood of the Mister and I sitting down on November 19th to play Monopoly to zero to none.  Twister, on the other hand, is another matter.  That's us, by the way. We just had it taken for our Christmas card.





I have never been to Atlantic City.  




I have taken the train many times in my life. When I graduated from college, I commuted to NYC from Connecticut.  And these days, the Mister and I love to take Amtrak to NYC for the weekend.




As far as I know, parking in my town is free. 



Over 25 years ago, I took a chance on this guy.  I feel like I won the lottery most of the time



6. A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning?



I dedicate this song to all my friends in blogland.




7.  In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude...  what is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for?




You may not connect the word gratitude and this picture together.  But these two little crazies keep me on my toes and give me unconditional love and wet kisses every day.

By the way, this is not an old photo.  The Mister and I came home to this on Saturday after going to a movie.  I guess they wanted to see the new Bond flick too.





8.  Insert your own random thought here. 



Last weekend I was in Austin and took a cab from the airport to the hotel.  My Sista was waiting for me and asked me how much I paid for the cab ride.  I told her $50 and she told me her Uber was $30.00.  Darn it!  I hate when she out does me!

So I joined Uber which was very easy - even I could do it - which is equivalent to a six-year-old.  We used Uber about 5 times over the weekend and only had stellar experiences.  Uber has keeps your credit card on file and they ask that you do not tip.  All you have to do is hop in and enjoy the ride.

Pristine cars, personable drivers and on-the-double service - Uber must be doing something right.

What surprises you about life?



Until next time...




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

27 comments:

  1. Oh those naughty pups : ) This is why God made them cute. And gave them puppy dog eyes. We are fans of Uber too. I'm all about a cute planner too. I tried the phone thing, but I just can't get on board with that 100%. I love a pretty planner and that system works for me. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, those pups! Remind me of my sister's two GSD puppies who totally demolished her sofa while she was gone. They must have had a blast! I used to buy squeaky toys for my GSD and he would always get the squeakers out within 5 minutes. After going through many of those, I started making my own!

    Love your pretty planner and I have to plan too. But my planner is white and boring, and I use a fine tip black sharpie. I've gotta up my planning game, I can see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you think, but you make my heart sad that you don't like gravy. Your dogs are trying to tell you to eat more gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exactly did your dogs get into? Those faces...I could never get too mad at them! I need a planner like yours...super duper cute! Oh, and nice Christmas card, Katie...wink, wink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I have to admit, my favorite thing in this post is the bow tie. I think all the XYs in my house need that bow tie.

    Is that your actual planner? Talk about adorable! Very Audrey Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is not my planner. Mine was too messy to photograph. I got that pic off pinterest. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you had good Uber experiences - haven't tried it yet, but I plan on using it soon. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really laughing at the dogs. Of course I didn't have to clean it up :LOL
    Uber is pretty great.
    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew this would be the perfect post to sit down to for my coffee break until I get back to work.....burning the midnight oil:) Those dictionary words!!! Yuck, cannot stand any of them! I am a huge planner and make lists for everything and yes to monopoly....at one point I was hailed the queen of the game in my family a title I loved:) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you - I am more of a planner. And you were right - life is not fair. I have to have I do like gravy!!! I enjoyed your answers. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a "surprise" to come home to :( I am an old-fashioned planner type gal, myself. I get excited every year when I shop for a new one! And the dictionary word I probably use the most is "butt dial", haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always happy to see my dogs aren't the only ones who trash the house at times. Of course they pretend they had nothing to do with the mess. I started using Uber when my car died two years ago. I never replaced the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would replace my car too with Uber if I could. Enjoy your Thursday.

      Delete
  12. OMG-on the dog mess....lol...that'll teach you to go see a Bond movie without them. lol
    Love all your answers- but then I always do. That is going to be one GREAT Christmas card this year. I can't wait to get my copy.
    Uber is the GREATEST! My son and his wife love it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Twister and Christmas...great family game. It is a shame that life is not fair, because for sure I would be a princess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My Gosh.......you have GOT to set up a camera on those dogs!!! How funny it would be to see what they are doing.....um, yes even when they're bad.....when ya'll are gone!!!!! hahahahahahahaha....I know its not me having the clean their mess up but man, oh man......they are so preciouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between you and me, we do have a camera in the nursery, I mean laundry room. We checked on them before the movie but the damage was already done.

      Delete
  15. I recently discovered your blog and absolutely LOVE it, but the picture of the new Bond movie aftermath cinched it for me. I want to come sit on your couch, dog on either side of me, sip some of that chardonnay you rave about, and discuss the Reals of ANY city (I watch them all) in excruciating detail. If Mister wanted to whip us up some fancy-chef dinner, well that would just be gravy...and NOT the kind you don't like. :)
    Thank you for always putting a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan to me, Cindy! I'll contact Andy and he can send a camera crew over so we can do a segment of the People's Couch. Enjoy the rest of the week!

      Delete
  16. Oh, not sure the dogs could have looked sweet enough or had big enough eyes if I came home to a mess like that. Goodness! Yes, I have a cute planner too and love writing down all my daily plans and marking them off as I do them. Always chuckle when I stop by

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving your hodgepodge today - great piece of advice to teach your children, must remember that one from Bill Gates. At 4:00, if I don't have a snack, it's trouble...always have some granola or candy bar close by for those emergencies! And oh, those dogs...couldn't love the image any more...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, Uber is awesome! Their cars we have been in are so much cleaner than cabs. And, a breeze to join.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a planner with a concurrent diagnosis of list maker. All electronic, so that my plans and lists are backed up to the cloud.

    Have yet to try Uber, but adore Amtrak to NY!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your picture of Chili and Chowda just made me laugh out loud. Thanks for making my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those dogs are too precious! Glad to see someone still wears a bow tie. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh those pupsters of yours, they are almost too adorable to get upset with them!
    I have to go through the crazy new words in the dictionary, several of which I am not familiar with!
    I look forward to using Uber over the holidays so we can have fun and have a couple of glasses of wine or champagne!!

    Most surprised that I am now an India Hicks Style Ambassador and loving it beyond!! Truly an incredible experience!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    The Blink of an Eye

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts