Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, January 12, 2024

My Favorite Reader Jude






I hope you had a wonderful week.  All is well here.  It is freezing out.  But as the Mister says, you don't have to shovel cold weather.  Feel free to quote him. 
 


I have a treat for you today.  My pal, Jude of @heyjudereads, agreed to answer my hard-hitting questions for the second time!  You can find her first post here.

People often ask me how I find the books I read.  I tell them Instagram.  I follow many Bookstagrammers, but only a few have the same taste as me.  When I am looking for a book, I head right over to @heyjudereads, and I read Jude's recent reviews, which are always thoughtful as well as entertaining.

 

Refresh our memories and tell us a little about yourself.

I'm Jude, mom to a HS senior, married 21 years to my guy, leader in a Fortune 50 company, living in Dallas, originally from upstate NY with a large unread book collection and more mugs than I know what do with!
 

Do you think that 2023 was a good year for books?  What were the standouts for you?
   What are you reading now, and what's next on your list?
 




2023 has been a fantastic year for my reading taste.   A few standouts for me were Tom Lake, Thirst for Salt, Little Monsters, Go As A River, Covenant of Water, Wellness, and Countries of Origin
I just finished a few advance copies, and 2024 looks as exciting as 2023! 
 

Did any of the 2023 books make your GOAT list?


Covenant of Water was a huge standout for me.  At 900 pages, it covers a lot of ground, many characters, and complex story lines.  It left me feeling complete.
 

 Are there any books that you are eagerly awaiting publication?





The 2024 releases I just finished were ALL fantastic!  
The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl (4/23/24)
Pearce Oysters by Joselyn Takacs (6/25/24)
The Same Bright Stars by Ethan Joella (7/2/24)
Anna Quindlen's new one, After Annie (2/27/24)
I am curious if Liz Gilbert's The Snow Forest will be released in February 2024.
 

Was there a book(s)  this year that was a disappointment?  Was there a book(s) that was a pleasant surprise?



Unpopular opinion:  I did not like Demon Copperhead by the beloved Barbara Kingsolver.  I couldn't connect with the story or the characters, yet it was nominated for many awards.



Just not for me.  The surprise so far was The Many Lives of Mama Love, a memoir of a drug addict who served time and how she found her way through.  Fantastic!
 

Do you ever skip to the end of the book?  Or skim through the boring parts?



I have to say I tend to be a rule follower.  No dogeared pages, no reading the end first.  Skimming, not really.  You never know where you'll find a nugget of wisdom.  Could be buried in a paragraph I overlook!
 

 How do you choose your books, i.e., bookstagrammers, Goodreads, friends' recommendations?

Definitely recommendations of other readers whose tastes align with mine.  Also have a few auto-buy authors that keep me coming back for more!
 

 Have you added any new authors to your favorite list?  Have you met any authors this year?


Adrienne Brodeur, Madelaine Lucas, and Shannon Bowring are authors new to me this year that I love.  


As for authors I've met, I actually bought my own birthday present already this year, as Ruth Reichl will be at the Dallas Museum of Art in May for a reading and signing.  I adore her!

 
Pick any book you have read (it doesn't have to be 2023).  In five sentences or less, convince me to read it.

"This dual timeline story of Lara's first love in her early 20's and her life today on the family's cherry orchard in northern Michigan is heartfelt, beautiful and touching.  Sign me up for the stories of family, those character-driven stories that, even told in a whisper like this one catch in my throat in an my heart.  Perhaps this story was exactly what I needed - in this ongoing heatwave of the south - this story was a summer breeze that wafted in the kitchen window on an ordinary day.  I found myself in both the younger Lara with both excitement and wonder as well as current day Lara with her family and deep contentment for her surroundings."


 

 If you could ask any author a question about a particular book, who would it be, and what would you ask?


Who was the inspiration for the character named Jude in Evil Eye?  She's a young girl and I often find characters named Jude are men, as Jude is a man's name.  There's a scene where the mom is looking at her daughters, recognizing the differences, and Jude is fascinated with a cardinal.  I got tears in my eyes as have loved cardinals since I was little.  And now, I associate them with my dad, who passed away many years ago.  
 

 Who would you like to write your life story?  Who would play you?





Ann Patchett would be my author of choice as her stories touch me - character development, realistic relationships, and wisdom.  Gosh, who would play me?  Julia Roberts, right?  Isn't that everyone's choice??



Thank you so much, Jude, for your fabulous recommendations.  My download list has grown by leaps and bounds! 

If you love to read, give Jude a follow @heyjudereads on Instagram for thoughtful insight and captivating reviews.

Next week I will be MIA renewing my Supermodel/Trophy Wife license. 





Dumpaday










A gentle reminder that I still have a code for 50% off your first box of Factor, which includes free Wellness Shots. 
Click here to peruse all the delicious meals and meal plans. 
Don't forget to use my Code: Preppy50 




There's a big sale going on at Talbots. 
50% Off markdowns in bag and extra 20% Off markdowns in bag.


Lots of great colors.




Vineyard Vines is having a great sale on cashmere sweaters.
I picked up the one above and the one below.




30% off Regular Price






I bought this jacket and love it.





I love a coatigan!





Lots of colors.

Barbour


Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

6 comments:

  1. I would love to have a glass of wine with you and Jude. I just love Ann Pachett, Tom Lake was at the top of my list for last year. I jotted down several of the books that will be available this year. Can't wait to plop myself down with one or more of them.

    I am stealing the Mister's quote about shoveling, I am happy to give him attribution.

    Happy Friday, sending pats to Miss Millie. Annie G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man we are freezing here too in CO. I just finished Matthew's book and it is sad but familiar story of addiction -it does not discriminate.
    Just started we should not be friends! Google it!
    Have a great time away! I need a vacay! xo laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would love to meet Jude. I follow her on Instagram and the depth and breadth of her reading is both inspiring and shaming. And she doesn’t even skim! Plus she and I come from the same area and share a lot of local memories. And I’d read the copy on a cereal box if Ruth Reichl wrote it. And Katie, Massachusetts misses you!! But the weather stinks lately so enjoy where you are.

    ReplyDelete

  4. As a Canadian follower of your blog I would like to suggest that you link through to Canadian versions of purchasing sites where possible. You have so many good suggestions!
    I know that Kris at https://www.drivenbydecor.com/blog/
    and Diane Henkler at https://inmyownstyle.com/ do this. Such that where there might be a link to Amazon.com, when I click it, it automatically goes to Amazon.ca. I know this can be done for many American online sites that have a Canadian equivalent. Even Nordstrom. Don’t know how, but maybe follow up with the above-mentioned ladies. It would be so much easier than having to click on the link, copy the descriptive info, find the Canadian site and paste that info. I not this won’t be possible for everything, but every bit helps.
    Love your blog and sense of humour! You always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your leadership skills are exceptional. Your guidance shapes success and inspires confidence. Can you share your experience about professional academic writing services how to find best service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this veritable goldmine of personal statement for nursing! Reading them has helped me identify the core elements that I need to highlight Are there any success stories on how to tailor personal statements for different nursing specialization?

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts