Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Beach Reads

 



Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you had a good weekend.  Rumor has it that the East Coast got pretty toasty.




On Saturday, the Mister and I went out for a fabulous lunch.  Seasons 52 never disappoints.  The Mister even ordered a salad.  He did reward himself later with a nine-pound bag of popcorn with a pint of extra butter.



The Mister and I then spent a couple of hours with some old friends.  To say that I loved the film would be an understatement.


Next weekend, I will be paying my dues.




Chowdah is spending another week as Millie's wingman.  I have been spending most of my time trying to keep Millie from giving Chowdah her conjunctivitis.
It ain't easy being me.




I had our kitchen chairs reupholstered, and they arrived last week.  
The fabric was purchased from Ballard Designs.  I had no idea that they sold material separately. 


Pardon moi while I brag about my hydrangeas. 


Today is all about what I have read and what I am looking forward to reading this Summer.






"With each new chapter, The Woman in the Library opens the door to new histories.  More murders...more clues...As Gentill's characters grow, the desire to know more about each ensnares us, and the only way out is to read to the end." 

I received an advance copy of this pageturner.  It takes place at the Boston Public library.  I predict this is going to be a big hit.




 (“a master of the twist and the turn”*) is back with his most unexpected thriller yet.

This was my first Riley Sager book, and it won't be my last.  I was glued to the pages and loved the gutsy, wry protagonist.  I will say that the ending goes into the land of the unbelievable.  This was an advance copy.





“The queen of beach reads” (New York Magazine) delivers an immensely satisfying pageturner in this tale about a summer of scandal at a storied Nantucket hotel.

I am hot and cold on Elin Hildebrand's books between you and me.  I have read almost all of them because Nantucket is one of my favorite places.  The Blue Bistro is my very favorite novel of the author's, with her Christmas series coming in a close second.  

Well, move over, Christmas series, because there is a new 2nd place winner in town.  The Hotel Nantucket is a delightful, fun read, and I highly recommend it.   




When a woman disappears with her two children, one husband will do anything to find them--even confront the secrets of his own past.

I loved this thriller filled with twists and turns galore.



The Favor explores with compassion and depth what can happen when women are pushed to the limit and take matters into their own hands.

This one kept me guessing.  
I kept wondering how it was going to end.


Amazon

A dazzlingly unconventional love story for readers of Ask Again, Yes 

Although it was depressing at times, I enjoyed this book.  The story of a single tragedy that threads its way through each character's journey with grief.








New York Times bestselling team of Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White—a novel of money and secrets set among the famous summer mansions of Newport, Rhode Island, spanning over a century from the Gilded Age to the present day.

Williams, Willig, and White are the ultimate triple threat when it comes to storytelling.  It doesn't hurt that it takes place in another favorite place of mine.
Of course, I downloaded it.




Amazon

When Isabel Perez travels to Barcelona to save her sister Beatriz, she discovers a shocking family secret.

I have enjoyed every book that Chanel Cleeton has written, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.




A luxurious African safari turns deadly for a Hollywood starlet and her entourage in this riveting historical thriller.

Three words:  count me in. 




The Latecomer is a layered and immersive literary novel about three siblings, desperate to escape one another and the upending of their family by the late arrival of a fourth.

I enjoyed The Plot, so I'm excited to read this one.




A restless golden boy and a girl with a troubled past navigate a love story that may be doomed before it even begins.

Emily Giffin is another favorite author of mine.
My favorite book of hers is Something Blue.
This one sounds so good!




The author of The Weird Sisters returns with a striking and intimate new novel about three very different adoptive mothers who face the impossible question: What makes a family?

This one got good reviews on Goodreads.



Ruth Ware returns with an unputdownable mystery following a woman on the search for answers a decade after her friend’s murder.

Ruth Ware?
I'm in.
 



A legendary athlete attempts a comeback when the world considers her past her prime.

I just got an advance copy!
I'll keep you posted.

Stop by on Friday for my final post until September.

In the meantime, do you have any book recommendations for me?


Until next time...





Linking up with:

Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

39 comments:

  1. I also loved the Downton Abbey movie. I caught an early release showing with Grace before she headed to Pittsburgh for the summer. I can't wait to check out these books. I have had a very slow reading month since my mind has been going a thousand directions with all the festivities here for graduation/prom etc. Hopefully June will be filled with some good summer books for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the fabric you chose for your chairs - what a difference!! Can't wait to grab Elin's new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find Elin's book can be hit or miss for me too so I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed this one! You have a few great looking beach reads on here that I had not heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chair look marvelous! I have been picking up books from the library and discovering some good authors lately.
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen looked great before, but the new fabric really makes everything pop. Beautiful!
    As for book recommendations, I just finished Resistance Women by Jennifer Chiaverini. I probably would not have purchased if I had realized it was so long, but once I started, I was obsessed. It’s historical fiction, characters real except for Sara. I could not stop thinking about these characters.
    Have a fabulous summer; can’t wait til PEM is back in my Inbox! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your recommendation! I will put it on my download list! Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. Your chairs look lovely and thanks for the book recommendations. I thought this movie was even better than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excited about several new books to read this summer… Blue Bistro was my favorite too! Love the new upholstered chairs and would love to know more about the round rug underneath them!? Including the size? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chairs look fantastic! 😍 More pics of your gorgeous new abode, please -- like the pair of chairs for your great room in the Calico Corner fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do!! I will take more pics of the chairs as soon as I get the dogs out of them!

      Delete
  9. The chairs look wonderful! Can't wait to see the new Downton Abbey movie! Oh and thank you for some new reads for this summer! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved Downton Abbey - highly recommend it also! Will be hard to survive summer without your fabulous & witty posts but will be eagerly awaiting your return. Enjoy your summer break Katie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Anne. I will be posting daily on Instagram. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  11. Your comment about "paying your dues next weekend" rang true for me! Same here! Thank you for your summer book recommendations! And love your new kitchen chairs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Katie, I'm looking forward to reading the Hotel Nantucket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chairs look beautiful and so fresh. Would you mind sharing who you used locally to reupholster your chairs? I’m so desperate to have mine done also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kitchen chairs…winner!! I’m not surprised. But like my friend I need to see more of your “humble “ abode

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the book reviews! I LOVE your chairs, Katie! I want to see the new Downton movie. May have to grab a friend and go this weekend. Glad I won't have dues to pay!! :) Hard to keep the pups apart but hope the conjunctivitis heals quickly and doesn't spread! I enjoyed your post!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. We all will feel a void without your talented humor! Come back soon love the puppies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Have a wonderful summer!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing your eat in kitchen area. And I guess you convinced me about hydrangeas & your part of Texas. I wasn't able to grow them in San Antonio when I lived there-- so keep bragging as it's a miracle!! Thanks for the Summer reading list. Definitely will miss you this Summer. Looking forward to what you will share on Friday. And I just might have to get an instagram account so I don't miss you too much this Summer. I don't have a google account or a website so I have to choose anonymous. We just change that to a member of the Katie Clooney fan club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words. I plan on posting on Insta at least once a day. I already have a boat load of gorgeous design photos that I can't take one ounce of credit for. Also if I see some good deals, I will post them as well. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  18. Adore the new chairs, can't wait to see Downton Abby but Top Gun is first up this weekend as part of my Mister's 65th birthday celebrations. Thanks for all the summer reading recs. Tina Brown's book of the The Royal's is very good. See you Friday! xo Juliet (makemineaspritzer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet... thanks for the scoop on Tina Brown's book. I will definitely download it. Can't wait to sit back and read books and my favorite blogs, such as yours, this summer.

      Delete
  19. Mary Kay Andrews books are always good. The new one is the Homewreckers. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder - I used to read a lot of MK Andrews. I look forward to The Homewreckers. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  20. You crack me up all the time Katie - what will I do for entertainment when you're on Summer break? The 9 pounds of popcorn had me DYING! I am anxious to see the Downton Abbey movie - hopefully this weekend. As per usual, I have to pin this for all the good reading recs - thank you!!!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to more of your reels, Kellyann, and all the cute outfits that you model!

      Delete
  21. My Amazon wish list is a mile long thanks to you and your book recommendations! You have never led me astray. Thank you and enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope that you have a wonderful summer as well.

      Delete
    2. Hi Katie, Boy, I'm going to miss your blog, love your observations about daily life . Many thanks for all of your recommendations. I discovered a series by Anne Perry, the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt stories. Takes place in England mid-late 1800's. The author's historical description of society's cultural expectations and norms are well done and are easy reads. I have one other recommendation that I would describe as "Edutainment". It's by Candace Millard. A Tale of Madness, Medicine & the Murder of a President. It's about the assignation of Pres James Garfield. This book discusses the role of Alex G. Bell, his scientific research, the role of infection and medical treatments, cronyism in politics, mental illness, just so many complicated topics rolled into one easy to read story about a presidential assignation.

      Delete
    3. Hi Kirkland! First of all, I love the term "edutainment" - I've never heard it before! I will look into the Anne Perry series. I have read a few books of hers and enjoyed them. And I am anxious to look into the Millard book. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you have a wonderful summer.

      Delete
  22. Hi Katie,
    I just downloaded the Audible version of Hilderbrand's book The Hotel Nantucket. I'm ready for a new book. Thank you for your readable booklist. I always find a good book out of your post.
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen... I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. Have a wonderful summer.

      Delete
  23. Though I don’t often comment, I always enjoy your ideas, your fashion, the beautiful homes and your humor. That’s the best part. See you in the fall

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts