Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, October 7, 2016

Fall TV & Books

Hello, dear friends.  
For all of you who are in Hurricane Matthew's path, you are in my thoughts and prayers.  Our family has lived through two hurricanes, and they are no fun.
Stay safe.

Here are a few reviews and some books and TV shows that I am eagerly anticipating.  


Synopsis

After reading a few blogger critiques on This Is Us, I think we all agree - this is a hit in the making.  Love the characters and the storylines.  I do have to say I was a bit confused at first.  I don't do well when a lot of characters hit me at once, and then the story goes back and forth in time.   I might not be the brightest bulb, but I eventually figured it out.

Synopsis

I was very excited to see Bull.  It is loosely based on Dr. Phil's time as a jury consultant for my pal, Oprah.  The Dr. Phil part was not nearly as intriguing to me as the life of a jury consultant.  Since the OJ trial, I always wanted to be one.  Sadly, the blogging world snatched me up.  The courtroom's loss is the blogging sphere's gain.

Anywho... Bull was a disappointment.  After about 30 minutes, I changed the channel to something more educational - Real Housewives.



synopsis


SJP is coming back on TV!  The show is described as a comedy, and it actually looks pretty good.  I like to watch shows like this in front of the Mister to keep him on his toes.

Another thing I like to do is watch a true crime show about a wife who murders her husband.  It doesn't bother the Mister too much until I start taking notes.

Maybe I should write a book on how to have a happy marriage.  



Designated Survivor will never take the place of Kiefer Sutherland's last hit, 24.  First of all, the plot is totally far-fetched.  Secondly, is it just me or does Kiefer Sutherland play the same character in every show he is in?  

The Mister is a fan, so I am sure I will watch the full season because I am a beautiful, accommodating trophy wife.  Another chapter for my book.






I enjoyed the last season of Secrets and Lies and this new one has begun with a bang.  Literally.  I do have to say that Juliette Lewis' character cracks me up.  She wears one expression - sour with a side of lemon.  Do you remember when I sat in the makeup chair next to her for my TV debut?  She had that same expression on her face.  You can read about it here if you missed it.




Synopsis

Whoa!!!  Did you hear about this new series on HBO?  Jude Law portrays a young Pope Pius XIII.  Jude Law - a Pope?  And as if that's not enough bait... how about Diane Keaton playing a nun?!  Yup, a nun.  
Save me a seat in the first row for this one!!


Books

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know by now that I am no whiz in the kitchen.  That's one of the many reasons that I married the Mister.  But just because I don't cook doesn't mean that I don't watch cooking shows or buy cookbooks.  One of my favorite shows is The Barefoot Contessa.  I have a crush on Ina and dream about living her life in her gorgeous house.  She can keep Jeffrey, though.  


I love to give cookbooks as hostess and birthday gifts.  I preordered a few of Ina's new one for friends.  Its release date is at the end of this month.   Amazon has got a great price on it now.



Alton Brown has been making the rounds on the talk show circuit pushing his new book.  It sounds like a good one.  But then again, what do I know?




synopsis

A friend of mine, who is a fabulous cook raves about this cookbook.  She tells me that the photos are magnificent and the recipes are all about small bites that are done to perfection.


What I've Read. 




Holy guacamole, this one is good.  I listened to The Kind Worth Killing on my walks. I know that it's a good book if I take the long way on my strolls.  And that's exactly what I did with this one.  If you enjoy a good old-fashioned thriller packed with plot twists and a shocker ending, this book is for you.  



synopsis

I enjoyed this one very much.  It centers around a few neighborhood families in a subdivision that harbor secrets that are divulged in small pieces.  The writing style reminds me of Lianne Moriarity.


What's next on my reading list.



synopsis

I admit it; I judge a book by its cover.  
I can tell this girl and I have a lot in common.
Maria Semple wrote Where'd you Go, Bernadette, so it's got to be good!




synopsis

This is the third book in Elin's winter trilogy.  The series tells the story of a very likable, imperfect family that owns an inn in Nantucket.  The matriarch is a national anchorwoman that is loosely based on Katie Couric.  I can't wait to read this last installment and yet I'll be sad when I have to say good bye to this family. 

Have you read my posts about spending the weekend with Elin in Nantucket?  You can read them here and here.  




synopsis

This one is next to accompany me on my walks.  It centers around a beautiful woman who appears to have everything including a deep dark secret.  I'll keep you posted on this one. 




synopsis

I haven't read a Grisham novel in a while.  This one sounds pretty good.  A crooked judge is the main character.  It will be released at the end of the month.





synopsis

A woman is found murdered next to her beautifully set dinner table.  I'm hooked.





synopsis

I have read every book that Jodi Picoult has ever written.  Some novels I liked better than others.  But the one thing about Picoult's books is that I always learn something. This one has a racism theme.  Looks like a page turner to me.
  



synopsis

This novel centers around a stalker.  I thought that if I listened to this one on my walks, I might get scared enough to break into sprints and burn a few more calories. 
What can I say?
I need all the help I can get!

What's on your book/tv list?

Until next time...





I'm not the only one who likes to read in the family.



One of many attempts to get the finished product.


Linking up with:
Foodie Friday & Everything Else
Home Sweet Home

Friday Features Linky Party
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

30 comments:

  1. I really do not watch too much network tv anymore. We do enjoy The Big Bang Theory as my husband is a physicist and those guys are spot on!! Hubs and I watch Jeopardy every night and realize our recall is totally gone. By the time we think of an answer, they are on the next category.:) Masterpiece Theater is a favorite and my guilty pleasure is the Making of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and Project Runway. In the book department it has been slim pickings for me. I have only found one or two books this year that really made me want to hunker down and read. One was A Remarkable Kindness by Diane Bletter. I will be checking out your suggestions. I have heard Ina Garten is coming back to the Food Network and I am so happy, I love to watch her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about books today too! I will be adding some of yours to my list. Also, this is my weekend to finally get caught up on This Is Us. I'm hoping it's a replacement for the void left by Parenthood. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - thanks for the laughs this morning, I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I,m eagerly waiting for The Crown,about Queen Elizabeths younger years.Currently I,m reading Jojo Moyes latest,lovely book.Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious, glorious! Yes, The Kind Worth Killing really grabbed me. At first, I wasn't sure -- I thought "I'm not sure if I want to spend time with thee characters." And then I was so deep in it, I couldn't put it down! I'm not familiar with the Elin Hildebrand books -- I need to pick those up, now that I can really visually place Nantucket in my mind! And I love Ina, too. (And Jeffrey, thank goodness there won't be a war for him!).

    I'm just finishing one of Alice Steinbach's travel memoirs, "Educating Alice," and will read Diana (Mitford) Mosley's bio of the Duchess of Windsor next because it looks like a quick read and I'm interested in her non-objective take. then it's back to the next Bryant and May, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Is Us! ❤️ And, I feel the same about Designated Survivor, but am still watching hoping it grows on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing about This Is Us. I have to watch it. I'm also hanging in with Designated Survivor. It's just okay, but I keep hoping it will get better.

    These look like some good reads, too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tv and book recommendations! Totally agree on Kiefer S! And what . . . Jude Law as a Pope!! Really????

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't watched This Us and hoping Netflix will run it soon as I don't watch a lot of TV. The books however intrique me very much and I love Elin Hilderbrand! I just borrowed Heres To us from the library on my kindle app so I hope to start reading it today! I'm definitely going to check out your other two posts regarding Nantucket! How exciting!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love This Is Us, too! I agree, at first the story lines confused me, too, but I think they tied them all together nicely. I only made it about 5 minutes into Bull, so you did better than me!!
    What do you think about the RHODallas getting renewed? I'm anxious to see how they shake up the cast. They need a little more class, in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yesterday a couple of Texas gals and myself met for lunch and then saw http://www.bridgetjonesmovie.com/. Oh my goodness! We laughed and I cried so it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon!

    Have a wonderful weekend in Nantucket!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  12. As usual you have me cracking up. The comment about Jeffrey...I agree stick with the Mister! I was confused with This is Us in the beginning as well. Maybe it is because I am usually doing three other things while watching?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you about This is Us! I love it. I am disappointed in Secrets and Lies and the others I have not seen. I am writing down all of the books, except Jody Picoult's book because they always make me cry. I love the pictures of Chow wearing the readers. I wish I looked as cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chow makes me giggle. Love the last image. That looks like me trying to read in bed. I'm out of it! ;-)
    Reading Vinegar Girl. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your tv and book picks! Although I do not watch tv very often you may have persuaded me to check some of these out. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would you believe I just gave away over ONE HUNDRED cookbooks?! yes.I.did. I still have too many--it's a sickness, I tell you!
    I am copying down some of those books so that I have them for my winter reading list. I am hoping to have time to read this winter... Who am I kidding! If I am at home I am not reading. I go to Starbucks, buy a coffee and read in the car...a portable library if you will. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love when you recommend books. I love those doggy pictures at the end! I only have a few tv shows that I watch anymore, usually murder mysteries or comedies (Modern Family for example). Have a lovely weekend! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. We really appreciate your prayers and good thoughts regarding the hurricane. We evacuated Wednesday and hope our city and home survive tonight and tomorrow intact. I always enjoy your book and TV recommendations immensely!!! Thank you very much!!! Chowdah looks so sweet "reading". Hope you have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are right. Kiefer Sutherland always plays Kiefer Sutherland. Like Harrison Ford always plays Harrison Ford only he's light years better than KS. Have a great weekend, it should be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also love This is Us already, and I'm so glad it might be something both Michael and I enjoy. I feel the same way about Designated Survivor - it's ok, but hubby loves it. Thanks for the reading recommendations, and can't wait to check out some of the shows too. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The ITALIAN said the same thing!BULL willNOT make it!
    I ADORE INA TOO..............I had a BIRTHDAY in JULY!!!!!!!!
    I have ALL her books........some in better shape then others as BANKSY got to a few when he was a cute little PIGGY!!!!!!!YOU know he was TEETHING!
    I really like ALL your recommendations..................at the MOMENT I am HOOKED on CECIL BEATON!Have ordered EVERY BOOK On HIM and they are ARRIVING TOO FAST!!!!!!!!!I will be a KNOW IT ALL on CECIL by the end of the YEAR!Do you know the man wore TUXEDO shoes for everyday!!!!!!!!
    THAT did it I ADORE HIM!!!!!!!!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  22. YES! This Is Us...finally a well scripted network drama...just love it! Cannot wait for SJP Divorce on HBO...I suppose I will have to record the debate...and yes...all Ina cookbooks are a must have...she and Jeffrey are beyond cute! And...my goodness who doesn't love Keifer Sutherland...I met his father once and he was the most elegant gentleman....love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, thank you for your reviews! Yes, Designated Survivor has captured the men in our lives so we need to find something for the women to watch. And there's nothing like curling up with a great book on a chilly fall Sunday! Hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  24. cannot wait to see Divorce....did you see SJP with your boyfriend, Andy, on WWHL the other night? And Ina? she drives me nuts...I'd much rather the husband than her! hahahaha!!!

    been thinking about you so much lately..reading The Matchmaker by your buddy Elin and I swear the main character reminds me of you so much!!! nantucket, happy go lucky and sweet!! Now, I'll have to read the one you mentioned above too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The World-Wide Web ate my comment again...
    I am watching season 2 of Poldark (PBS); Sunday night will be the third show. I enjoy the rugged costal setting of Cornwall, the acting, and especially gorgeous Ross Poldark/Aiden Turner. Do you watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fun post always can count on you to bring me up to speed with must see tv/movie/books! So thank you for being my personal guide:) I always feel very behind especially with what is on TV, but did catch one episide of This Is Us and really liked it, very "real life" which are always my faves.
    Funny, featuring Today will be different too.....just got it, anxious to begin. I read Where'd you go and really liked that, I like her writing style. Thanks for all the either recommendations.....now I need to figure out how to add about 6 more hours to my day! Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had me at This is Us....there have been only two episodes, but it's all we talk about at school when students aren't present and no one is allowed to tslk about it if a person hasn't seen it yet. Also very interested in checking out the Young Pope...I worked in a rectory as a teen, actually attended Mass with Pope JPII, so I feel like I am right on the pulse of this show. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are enjoying Designated Survivor as well as The Good Place. Caught the first episode of Timeless and are intrigued. But our hearts belong to PBS Sundays and Poldark. Reading Born to Run by the Boss.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Note to self: a little less Bravo and a little more reading - especially some of these great titles you have curated for us. I love Elin and am a teensy bit envious that you got to spend time with her. One of these days my time in Boston will coincide with one of your adventures and I will invite myself along. I've heard great things about Chrissy Teigan's new cookbook "Cravings". And, Molly Yeh who writes a great food blog called My Name is Yeh has a soon to be released cookbook called "Molly on the Range".
    Have a great week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you SO much for this list! I am in serious need of a good new series to watch and also need to add to my Fall reading list - you covered it all in one post! Hope you have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts