Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, August 26, 2016

Sweatin' Off the Pounds with Pinterest

Hello, dear friends.  I bet you never thought in a million years that you would see a work-out post on this blog.  Believe me, neither did I.  

I have a wonderful surprise for you today.  I have a guest who has agreed to share some tips on how to lose pounds as well as inches.  Kathy went to school with my Sista at Mount Vernon College and I got to know her on Facebook.  Kathy mentioned on one of her posts that she has lost weight with the help of Weight Watchers and exercises that she found on Pinterest.  Some of the illustrations are not as clear as they should be so I included the links.
Take it away, Kathy...
My name is Kathy and have battled with fluctuating weight since giving birth to my daughters. I’ve tried the Atkins diet, counting calories via MyFitnessPal, and eliminating everything “white” from my diet. I’ve bought into gym memberships, fitness videos (Hip Hop Abs and the 21-day fix), Zumba classes, Jazzercise, and yoga. But, with the onset of turning 55 this summer I decided to give the new Weight Watchers Points Plus program a try. I began my journey in late May and as of today I am down 13 lbs. I could/should be down more but I spent my summer off (from teaching) traveling and enjoying LIFE. With each trip, I would gain 1-3 lbs. back but with support and encouragement from my daughters, I would lose it. I incorporated exercises I found on Pinterest into my daily schedule and supplemented them with swimming, cycling, and walking. I utilize my Fitbit religiously! The Pinterest exercises (arms, abs, and thighs) have helped me shed some much-needed inches while increasing my muscle mass.
The following are the Pinterest posts that I found to be helpful.  

This is the set of movements that I told you about. My knees are not that great (must be because I turned 55)! I have been doing these activities for 4 weeks every other day. (I alternate my arms with my lower body). This set of activities is what helped me reduce that extra "flab" around my mid-section. It also has helped to tighten my butt! When I am finished with this activity I do 150 "high steps". This is where you lift your knee up high enough to meet the palms of your hands. I usually do this walking from my bedroom into the kitchen to get a drink of water. The puppies look at me like I'm CRAZY. If I do a set of the high steps in the AM I try to do another set in the PM. The butt muscles and hips really get a great workout.




I have NEVER lost that little pooch area of my tummy. I began doing this group of movements this past week. I waited to start this because I previously had too much "flab" around my middle and on my hips. That extra "flab" really made it difficult for me to even pull my back up off the floor. These activities have helped with the pooch a bit (just 1 week) and with my flexibility.





Because I've already adjusted to the 6 lb weights, I like this AB workout. I find myself doing this while i"m watching TV (Today Show or Evening News). I've even begun to do the Wood Chops (Dumbbell Side Bends) in the kitchen without the weights. I engage my core section (suck them in!) while I'm waiting for the microwave to go off! I find that I'm really more attuned to my movements and how I can work different groups of muscle throughout the day.


I added a couple of the movements (photos 1-3) from this mini-workout to the other workout, using the same amount of sets and reps.




I began using this workout about 4 weeks ago. There was another Pin that recommended doing this activity every other day, so I applied this info to this activity. I began with 6 lb weights and I can actually feel the burn once i get to the 3rd set. Each 30 sec. set is equal to about 10-12 reps.





link

This is the last exercise routine that I have been doing. Like I stated, I love the activities that I can do on the floor because my knees aren't so hot! My thighs were rather "soft and giggly" and I didn't like the way I looked in jeans. This workout has helped "slenderize" them and although my husband can see the results I still feel that I have a long way to go.



Thank you, Kathy, for a wonderful post.  
You are a true inspiration!

Until next time...



Chili:  Hey Chow, does this collar make me look fat?

Chowdah: Yup.

Chili:  MOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

21 comments:

  1. This is inspirational!
    How did you know I needed this this morning?
    Katie , do you have a Fitbit? Kathy mentioned hers in the post, and I just wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, yes the magical 50's. This is great stuff and I love hearing that she has lost weight and the exercises have helped. I did weight watchers about 18 years ago and it was excellent. I'd be curious to see how it has changed. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this! thanks for sharing. i've been off my exercise game all of August. heck who am i kidding? since June. yes June. ugh. BUT I'm back on track today, already did one of my Tracy Anderson videos...now I just have to KEEP doing one every day. The time will pass any way right? I think the key, like Kathy figured out, is to just start, do a little then add more as in repetitions or increase the weights you use. I'm going to think of this post every time I think I don't have enough time in the day to squeeze some exercise in. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips - thanks for sharing! I'm going to start some of these too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these great exercises! They are exactly the motivation I need to start getting back in shape. I slacked off this summer and didn't eat healthily or exercise enough. I am committed to make this my new exercise routine. Hope you have a wonderful day, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew Pinterest had more than hot glue and gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the positive comments. I never set out to be an "inspiration" but we women of a certain age can use every little bit a help! The difficult part of this whole journey was establishing new routines. We are truly creatures of habit, not all good! But, I figure that my lower cholesterol, weight, and the increase of muscle mass can't be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear 55, fit, and fabulous... You are the 3 things I want to be! Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I think you hit the nail on the head - it's all about setting routines. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  9. Kathy, I am proud of how you sought out, embraced and incorporated these exercises into your daily life - kudos! You are an inspiration! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this the KATHY I MET at my SON's FOOD TRUCK?
    I love that she does it on her way to THE KITCHEN!
    I also LOVE that you mention "BAD KNEES".I got "IN TROUBLE" yesterday for telling a woman she had BAD KNEES but great legs!My comment was taken down from the BLOG!Bottom line the DRESS was TOO short for her AGE.I thought I was being HELPFUL.............Guess MOST do not want to HEAR THAT!
    GOOD OF THIS KATHY to REALIZE.
    THOSES DOGS and their COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth - It's not me. I'm sorry to say that I've never exercised in my house. Apparently only official gym surroundings can motivate me to exercise.
      ~Kathy L

      Delete
    2. OKAY!AS YOU DONOT NEED TO DO ANY KIND OF EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for the inspiration Kathy & Katie. Perfect timing for me- I went to the gym for the first time in forever this week, after running out of excuses. Time to get back in the routine of working out, I really do feel better when I workout. Have pinned all of these exercises and plan to get busy trying them. Kathy- you have had great results if you have just been working out for 3 months! Just the encouragement I need to to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie and Kathy, thanks so much for sharing! It takes discipline and motivation, which sometime is hard to come by, but so needed! Inspiring post! Pam @'Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh that looks like a lot of work! Half joking but mostly serious. I would do anything to take off these 20 lbs...except diet and exercise it seems. Waiting for the light bulb to go off. Been there, done that. Constant battle between being forgiving to myself as husband faces serious health issues vs watching the fit ladies on Real Housewives NYC thinking I gotta work on me! Will get there and just may refer back to this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Weightwatchers! It's enabled me to eat & drink like a "regular" person. Most of those exercises are identical to those we do in my YMCA Boot Camp. Good for you! I have about 6 months to go before I hit 55 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts