Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, February 9, 2024

Our Latest Reads




I don't know about you, but this week just whipped by.  That usually doesn't happen during my least favorite month of the year. 
 

photo: Christopher Chung

I played pickleball for the first time in 3 months!  I took some time off so that my fellow picklers could catch up to my razor-sharp skills and state-of-the-art form.

Evidently, they spent their extra practice time honing their cheating skills. 




Last weekend, we met dear friends at our village wine bar and then proceeded to our beloved Bella Donna Chapel for a concert.






What a treat it was to see the Chapel lit by candlelight.  It was upstaged a bit by the four incredibly talented musicians who performed a program entitled Bach to the Beatles.



It was indeed a magical evening.




That's a hard act to follow...

Today, I am talking about my latest reads.  I haven't written a post on my latest reads for a while.  I started a lot more books than I finished.  For some reason, I didn't have much concentration over the holidays.  I've also included a few of the Mister's faves.

This post got too long to include what we have been watching.  I will publish that post on Tuesday.






In my humble opinion, this novel is the biggest jewel in Kristan Hannah's crown.



 

A solid thriller centering around the houseguest for H-E-double toothpicks.  Written by the author of Behind Closed Doors, a personal favorite of mine.  This comes out on 2/20.






This one kept me guessing through the pages.





An academic thriller centering around a husband who makes one mistake and can't seem to get himself out of the doghouse.
A great training manual for husbands. 






A fictionalized account of the scandalous affair of Maria Callas and Aristotle Onassis.  





I am a huge fan of the author.   I love a story with a creative plotline.  This novel revolves around a Princess Di impersonator in Vegas.  Plenty of intrigue and suspense.  This comes out on 3/26.





I love the way Anna Quindlen writes.  This is a character-driven story of love and loss. 




This book has received well-deserved buzz from Bookstagrammers.  I couldn't put it down.

        




Heart-thumping suspense.




If you loved The Maid, you are going to love this one!





I chuckled throughout the pages, which take place in the land of Academia.  I highly recommend listening to it.
You're going to have to wait until June for this one.






This is an okay thriller, but it seemed like the plotline has been done many times before.  





I am a huge fan of Barbra.  I downloaded her book, and it is 48 hours long.  Even I'm not that much of a fan.  I ducked out at 18 hours.

Please don't tell Barbara.





I'm reading this now and loving it.
I love the cover too!
This is coming out in April.




Thank you, Shannon, my recent favorite reader,  for introducing me to this heart-palpatating domestic thriller.
If you don't care for books about serial killers or dysfunctional families, this book is not for you! 
I personally love them.







With the sadness of death and family strife beginning, this wonderful read, set on the Amalfi coast, quickly brings sunshine and warmth to this powerful novel about the transformational love between mothers and daughters 



A dual-timeline novel takes place in 1945 and the present day.  Our protagonist, Susannah, searches for the truth behind a shocking wartime secret at the heart of her family.



Another dual-timeline novel that will keep you intrigued with twists and turns.  The epilogue and author's notes are a great ending, tying up all loose ends.  




Scott Turow never disappoints, and Ordinary Heroes is another great success.  a WWII gripping story where a son searches for the true story of his recently deceased father




A DeMille thriller brings Scott Brodie and Maggie Taylor, investigators for the Army's Criminal Investigation to Venezuela to bring Kyle Mercer, the derter back for trial, but stay tuned, there is more to the story!








Amazon

Do you remember A.J. Finn?  He wrote The Woman in the Window.
Apparently, he has a fetish for fibbing.



Amazon

Like Nora Ephron, with a British twist….Delivers the most delightful aspects of classic romantic comedy—snappy dialogue, realistic relationship dynamics, humorous meet-cutes and misunderstandings—and leaves behind the clichéd gender roles and traditional marriage plot.The New York Times




For readers of Rachel Hawkins and We Were Never Here comes a searing vacation thriller set on a remote island in Thailand following two mysterious women, a charismatic group of expats, and the one murder poised to bring their paradise crashing down.



Elba Iris Pérez's lyrical, cross-cultural coming-of-age debut novel explores a young girl's childhood between 1950s Puerto Rico and a small Massachusetts factory town.


Amazon

This extraordinary novel, inspired by real events, tells the story of a female aviator who defies the odds to embark on a daring air race across the Pacific.

Check back on Tuesday for the list of what we have been watching!







Other Breaking News:  
Lemmie got her tubes tied.  
Evidently, she filed a lawsuit accusing the Vet of "roofying" her.






Click here



    I bought this in raspberry and love it.
This gorgeous blue just went on sale, and it's screaming my name.










I have this sweater in red, and I am ordering it in navy.








Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

16 comments:

  1. I just finished First Lie Wins and loved it! So many unexpected twists and turns.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on First Lie Wins - excellent read. Year is starting with great reads - The Berry Pickers & Frozen River - both 5 start!! Just starting The Women - staying in for the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love The Women as much as I did. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to say thank God for the surgical onesies. Our sheepadoodle was wearing them for 3 weeks and they saved my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 48 hours?! Yikes, I had that Barbara memoir on my to read list but I'm not sure I can make it through THAT much... perhaps she should have spilt them into 2 smaller books. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. FIrst Lie Wins was a WINNER for me too. I picked up My Lovely Wife thanks to your guest host last week. Wow, it's a crazy book, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love your book recs. Just started listening to The Women today, narrated by my favorite Julia Whelan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it. I am sure that Julia does a fabulous job. She is one of my faves.

      Delete
  7. I love a book post. Thanks a whole, whole bunch. Love the humor and the funny photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the excellent recommendations. A couple of the books have been downloaded to my iPad for our upcoming vacation. The ON v-neck is on sale 50% off so I’ve ordered two colours. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just started reading the Barbra Streisand autobiography, it is wonderful, long yes but what a life and what a hard worker, I don’t see much of that in todays young adults, I give it an A+

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing quite like being in a beautiful chapel for a concert. I saw a concert years ago at Loretto Chapel in SFe, NM and have never forgotten the sense of beauty and awe that filled my soul. Thanks for saving me from 48 hours of Barbara, I'll pick up K. Hannah's The Women and the Mister's rec One Italian Summer. KTG

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts