Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A New York State of Mind


Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you had an enjoyable weekend.  The Mister and I spent ours in NYC visiting our #1 and Adorable Jonathon.  The weather was positively gorgeous.  Perfect shopping weather.


Again, we stayed at the Essex House, which is always such a treat.  It is located across the street from picturesque Central Park.  It's a great location for shopping and Broadway shows.  And best yet... it is walking distance from the newlyweds' love nest.

We took Amtrak and arrived in the city at lunchtime.  The newlyweds were both working, so we were on our own for the afternoon.



If you have read my past posts detailing our adventures in NYC, you know that we love Fig & Olive and it's usually our first stop after checking in to the hotel.




The food and service are always topnotch.



The Mister's favorite thing to do is order lots of little plates so he can try many different dishes.  Fig & Olive offers tons of creative crostinis.   We even decided over a glass of wine or two to make crostinis the theme of our next dinner party. 



The Mister is crazy about their flavored olive oils.



The next stop was to pick up some sweets for the newlyweds.









How cute is this?
My girl tells me that Nello is known for its fabulous Italian food.
Teddy Bears aren't the only ones who love it.
Plenty of celebs do too!



The next stop has been on my bucket list for a while.
Afternoon tea at the Plaza.



First thing... I paid my respects to Eloise.
Our girls had the Eloise doll, and KTG gave them a beautiful autographed Eloise book when they were young.

As I've mentioned many times, my hubby is in the hotel biz, and we have made many moves in the last thirty years. When we relocate, we usually end up living in the hotel for a few months.  

Our first move was to a hotel in Torrey Pines, California.  We were waiting for our house to be built and lived in the hotel for three months.  It was quite luxurious and came equipped with butlers wearing tails.   At the time, we only had our #1. Our sidekick was a rambunctious five-pound Yorkie named Jackhammer. 

One Saturday, when we were out for lunch, the Mister's beeper went off.  Jackhammer had escaped while the maid was cleaning the room.  When we got back, we found 5 young men in tails running all over the hotel in search of the escapee.  

The good news is that Jackhammer was found.
The bad news is that the breakout was the first of many.
  












Nestled in the napkin were warm buttery scones.
Those were the Mister's favorite.



What a way to spend an afternoon!
I highly recommend the experience.



That evening, we met #1 and Adorable Jonathon at their darling apartment for a glass of Vino.  We then went on to have dinner at Wolf, one of several outlets located in the new Nordstrom.







One of the apps that we ordered was this Albacore Tuna Credo.
Both the food and service were fabulous.


The next day we met the newlyweds for brunch.  We got to the Meatpacking district early, so we decided to take a stroll through Chelsea Market.

The Mister was in awe of all the fabulous food.  
He was like a kid in a candy store.






With eyes glazed over, the Mister visited every vendor.
I get the same look when I am in Sephora.





Our lunch destination, Pastis, was right down the street.



When we left, the heated patio was packed.






We all love steak tartare, and this one is one of the best.  I had Chicken Paillard salad for lunch, which was so darn good, it practically brought tears to my eyes.




We shopped in Soho for a couple of hours.  This is a pic of the Amazon store, which not only sells books, but also all of the most popular items sold from their website.



We stopped at Serafina for a glass of vino before going back to the hotel.  Notice the wall with all the crayon signings.




The Mister is so happy to now have a guy in the family.



That evening, we had dinner at Harry Cipriani's.  I was very excited to go because we have been to Harry's Bar in Rome a couple of times which we love.  Also, this restaurant was mentioned a few times in Finding Mrs. Ford, one of my favorite books of 2019.   







Our faces are smiling because of the company we keep.  
I won't go into the details, but to say that the food and service were deplorable at Harry Cipriani's would be an understatement.



Our last stop was a final glass of wine at the hotel.
Our weekend came to a sweet end with a hug and a kiss to the best NYC tour guides in town.

It was a fabulous weekend.  
The only thing missing was our #2!

If you are interested in reading about our other adventures in NYC, you can find them here, herehere, and here.


Until next time...




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

17 comments:

  1. Love this post! Great reviews! We decided on our last trip to stay on the Upper East Side so thanks for all the great ideas! love Chelsea Market too! When I took my baby there he opened the door for me and as soon as he took a peek inside and turned to me and said,"Mom, you are going to love this place." Happy Tuesday! laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You visited a few of my favorite places!! NYC is always fun and exciting and how lucky are you that the kids live there and you get to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so glamorous!!!!
    I love that there really is a portrait of Eloise there. I bet every little girl just loves that

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend! Everything sounds wonderful, and the love birds are positively glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that you have one of those girls close enough for more regular visits and what's not to love about going into NY for a few days. I always love eating with y'all and think plates with lots of choices are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The youngsters look great and what a wonderful weekend you had!! Thanks for sharing the good times with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my I think in gained 10lbs. just reading this! What a wonderful get away. It brought back some great memories. I have experienced tea at the Plaza, strolled through the Chelsie Markt. and eaten Laduree several times but at the one on the Champs in Paris. Riding the train over seems the stress free way to go....Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kids have learned from the best in terms of being great tour guides. You guys are superb foodies! What a great weekend getaway. It's fun to see all the stops you make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much eye candy!! It is nice that your children live in such a great place to visit. And being able to take the train....that would make it easy peasy. Thanks for sharing the Big Apple with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have sold me on tea at the plaza -- not that I needed selling! It's pretty cool you can train to the Big Apple! And then be with your kids! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a fabulous and a delicious weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing weekend for you and your mister. Nothing better that spending time with the kiddos. See a few familiar sites and taking notes for our next NYC State of Mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gained 5 pounds just reading about all the delicious food you guys ate! Fun trip - just an Amtrak ride away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tea at the Plaza...I must do that the next time I am in NYC. A weekend of food and shopping would be absolutely perfect. The newlyweds are darling. Thanks for a little armchair travel and Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, some fabulous culinary experiences and photos! Thanks for sharing at #WowOnWednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such cool places to visit. I remember the Essex House. Tea at the Plaza sounds lovely. So many wonderful paces to see and the food, ooh la la.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love NY! Not a very original comment, but it’s true. My very first - and subsequent - trips to the Big Apple we stayed at the Essex house. What a hotel. What a location. Sadly they changed management affiliations so we had to move on. Darned points. No matter how fabulous our new accommodations, I always look wistfully when passing the Essex house. Making note of all your restaurant stops. You must elaborate on your experience at Harry Cipriani!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts