Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hodgepodge for Swimmers


Hello, dear friends.  How is your summer going?  All is well here.  The weather has been great.  I just wish there weren't so many reruns on TV, though.  Oh well, that's my battle. 

If it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.  If you hit the button, you can visit Joyce, who will provide other links to her thoughtful questions. 








1.  It's officially summer (in the northern hemisphere anyway).  Which summer month is best and why?





I love the first days of summer in June when the days are warm and the nights are crisp.  Nothing beats good sleeping weather. We lucked out with a beautiful June this year.



2.  Can you swim?  How did you learn?  June 27th is National Sunglasses Day.  How many pair do you own?


Looks like Saul sans the cross.

I took swimming lessons from a man called Saul at the Jewish Community Center when I was seven years old.  I was more fascinated by Saul than mastering the sport I was supposed to learn.  I had never seen such a hairy man before, let alone in a speedo.  I grew up with a pale, hairless dad that wore swim trunk two sizes too big.  Needless to say, I was never a candidate for the Olympics.



I own two pairs of prescription Rayban Wayfarers.  One pair is scratched and smudged and the second one is less scratched and smudged.  I always start out taking care of my sunglasses and keep them in a case (like the Mister).  That lasts about twenty minutes.   




3.  What characteristic do you judge most harshly in yourself?  How about others?






Unfortunately, I come from a long line of impatient people.




When my girls were growing up, I used to tell them that there will always be someone smarter, prettier, and skinnier so get over it and love yourself.  You'll be a lot happier.




4.  Robert Frost wrote the now well-known poem entitled The Road Not Taken.  What's a road (literally or figuratively) you've always wanted to travel, and where do you hope it takes you?



I don't know about the road not taken, but there have been a few roads that I wish I had skipped.  





5.  Popsicles - yay or nay?  If you answered yay, what's your favorite flavor?



Popsicles have never made my boat float.  My latest addiction are these dabs of deliciousness on a stick which are only 80 calories.  I can eat a whole box for under 500 calories!!  




Hello momkini season!



6.  Brexit - on a scale of 1-10 how knowledgeable are you on what's involved here?  (1 = knowledgeable 10 = what's Brexit)  Is this new you'll follow or is it something you think won't impact your life in any way shape of form?



The other night I heard a comedian say the Brexit sounds like a breakfast sandwich.  Now, every time I hear the word the above image comes to mind.



As far as my knowledge goes, let's just say I wouldn't choose Brexit as a category if I were a contestant on a game show.

It would be more like:

"Real Housewives for 200 please."




7.  Share a song on your summer playlist.



I love Justin Timberlake's new song so much ...





... that I can't help but get up to dance.  




8.  Insert your own random thought here. 




This is a picture of our little Chili and her brother, Alan minutes after they were rescued from the streets of Houston. 




We met Alan and his Mom and Dad on Sunday at a state park.  They live in Connecticut.  The two pups had the greatest time running the trails, and we enjoyed catching up with Alan's Mom and Dad. 



And as if that wasn't enough fun, Chili made her first voyage to her Mom's favorite store.


What's your favorite song of the summer?   




Until next time...




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

27 comments:

  1. We have the same sunglasses. It's nice to be able to be stylish without being blind.

    That's what your swimming instructor looked like? How were you not scarred for life? There are precious few men who should wear a Speedo.

    Thanks for making me laugh this morning. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just so cute, Katie! I've never heard of Brexit and...Chili gets to go to Homegoods? How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray ban wayfarer sunglasses forever! I've tried other styles, but always go back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili and Alan are adorable. Love your cute answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun Hodgepodge! Didn't learn to swim until very late in life -- and still not a big fan of water-type activities! My girl is learning Beach Boys songs on the guitar, so I think an oldie is a favorite summer song. Brexit worries me so I'm trying to ignore it! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are rockin' those shades, Katie! Chili is so darn adorable! Ha...I could totally win "Jeopardy" if they had questions about the "Housewives..." and "Southern Charm".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salted Caramel Weight Watchers popsicles? Be still my heart -- I'm off to the store! Love the Saul pic! And your sweet dogs!

    Thanks for stopping by the Gypsy. I'm leaving here with a big mile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get road rage from pushing a cart through WM, but I do get very impatient when an unattended cart is sitting in the isle and I can't pass it. Move it over to the side people!

    Thanks for breaking my eat healthier streak. Don't you know I can't resist anything Salted Caramel? And it's an ice cream bar! Seriously, if I can find these, they are coming home with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How rude of me! I forgot to say that Chili and Alan are adorable! I've rescued three dogs. I don't understand how anyone could mistreat or abuse them.

      Delete
  9. We're sunglass soul sisters. My hubs has had the same pair or Raybans for about 20 years. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to un-see Saul : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always such fun.Impatience is my middle name:) Those pics of "Saul" are too funny and of course the bathing beauty with the lovely tatoo, yuck!
    These are always lots of fun and I agree June was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed at everything today. First, the popsicle, cuz i too would have already figured out the total calories for the whole box. You can see i have little faith in willpower. The second, although I'm now up to speed on Brexit (why didn't my phone's spellcheck know that word yet?!) when i first heard it. I thought the reporter had a speech impediment (what reporter doesn't!) and was really trying to say breakfast. Really. Why do Brits like runny eggs?? Eww.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I laughed at everything today. First, the popsicle, cuz i too would have already figured out the total calories for the whole box. You can see i have little faith in willpower. The second, although I'm now up to speed on Brexit (why didn't my phone's spellcheck know that word yet?!) when i first heard it. I thought the reporter had a speech impediment (what reporter doesn't!) and was really trying to say breakfast. Really. Why do Brits like runny eggs?? Eww.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love your hodgepodge! That image of "Saul" has now been etched in my brain. Yuck...I wouldn't have wanted to learn how to swim either! And June is definitely the best month of summer here in Houston. Now we are barely going below 80 at night, and the A/C is buzzing 24/7. Every year it kind of surprises me just how hot'n'humid it gets in July/August. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another fun hodgepodge! You keep me giggling just thinking about some of these images. Can't say that summer is my favorite season because of the heat, so would have to say June because it the most likely month to be somewhat cooler. And yes, we too, had a lovely June. I know how to swim, but it's never been my favorite activity. I'd rather sit by the pool with a cool drink or good book than get wet. Patience is something I have an abundance of, I also have an abundance of procrastination. ;-(
    I'll take any road that leads to a good antique market, and as for that yummy treat you show, well I need to buy a few boxes to keep on hand. Otherwise I'll keep going back to the La Patisserie, a new venue in town that sells among other goodies, the most delicious salted caramel eclair I've ever eaten. Good thing this pastry shop isn't in the hood. Brexit - all I know is that my British friends are not happy. Summer playlist- don't have one, but once I listened to this catchy song it seems to be playing over and over again in my head. Have you heard it? https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLpE1Pa8vvI?autoplay=1&autohide=1&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0
    Random thought about Chili and Alan - lucky pups to have landed in their new homes. How touching that you reunited them for a visit. Heartwarming!
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere, and I love your advice to your daughters. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Real Housewives for 200 - lol, you're killing me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, I probably should not have read this blog post on en empty stomach, as that breakfast sandwich is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katie, you are so funny! I had no idea we could take our dogs to HomeGoods!! Our dog will be forever thankful. Nordstrom's is also dog friendly. Especially the ladies in lingerie. Shoes not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katie I am one of those people who takes care of my sunglasses. I leave them in the case in my car which is the only place I ever wear them. My husband on the other hand insists on buying the most expensive pair and then proceeds to step, sit, or run over them. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The beginning of summer is my favorite time as well, I love to have the windows open at night. But that lasts about 2 days here in the South and then it is too humid. Not a fan of popsicles or ice cream for that matter. I would rather just have the tub of hot fudge.

    Chili is adorable! I love flowing her and her sidekick Chowder on Instagram.

    Have a great day Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. TOO many questions for 6 AM!!
    SWIM LESSONS.......I too had a GORGEOUS instructor and for the LIFE of me I cannot recall his NAME!He drove a MODEL T FORD!The BRETIX thing I was away when that broke heard first about it on INSTAGRAM!I know almost nothing..............I do know the PRIME MINISTER MADE A BIG MISTAKE.MY STEP MOTHER IS BRITISH.I got a little lesson over the phone so give me a 2.NOw I cannot remember your other questions......hopefully I fixed my problem with GOOGLE so I can COMMENT HERE!OH, POPSICLES never did much for me.............need chocolate.........have you tried the HAGEN DAZ.(spelling!)The pups are adorable.............I LOVE JULY!IT is my BIRTHDAY MONTH!OFF I GO MORE COFFEE...............

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if the Brits were aware of the GLOBAL financial impact of voting for Brexit? Yikes. I wasn't. That mess has just begun.
    On a brighter note, the Weight Watchers ice cream bars look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't remember learning to swim....guess I must have started soon - but this body will not be in a bathing suit this summer dues to a few extra treats at night, OK many extra treats on many nights!! But I will say, Hagen daaz has a fabulous cone and chocolate chip with butterscotch that I had in Seattle, so I must put that on the grocery list. I have to find something to do while everyone else is swimming! Wayfarers were too heavy for me, but I love them! I think I have traveled some of your "roads", too! - and for my fav time....I love October, but hate the months to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't remember all of the questions to answer...but a few,...swim lessons at the Y. Several years...I am still not a good swimmer. Love my prescription Ray Bans...and they are vintage from before 2000. I put them away for a few years, and last year had prescription lens with bifocals installed. ha! Those ice cream bars look yummy. They world is just crazy. I think of going back to the second or third grade when all I needed was some new keds sneakers and air in my bicycle tires! Pre Bay of Pigs. I am so old! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Impatient? You? I don't believe it. I saw you sit through an entire boxing exhibition aka keynote address without walking out of the room. The patience of Job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this helpful information.
    Eating good fats like avocados, nuts, seeds, greasy fish, and olive oil can help lessen terrible cholesterol, increment high cholesterol, and improve blood sugar control. Diminish your admission of included sugars.
    Use this tablet for control diabetes-Galvus 50mg Tablet.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts