Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Beauty Reviews & Love Letters

Hello, dear friends.  Happy Superbowl Sunday!  We woke up to a beautiful bright sunny day.

Yesterday, the Mister and I went into the big city for lunch and a play.  I couldn't wait to see Ryan and Ali in the flesh in Love Letters.



We dined at Abby Lane, which was conveniently located right next to the theater.







Calories do not count when you are celebrating Valentine's Day.  The food was fabulous.


The theater was packed.  I would say eighty percent of the audience was made up of women, just like me.  The show was great.  Ali looks so darn good.  Sista and I have a theory.  If a woman is tall and thin, she is 90% there.  And boy, is Ali ever tall and willowy and epitomizes perfect posture.  She is blessed with a beautiful face that lacks the pinched and pulled look of her contemporaries in Hollywood.  Ryan, on the other hand, looks good but has definitely had some work done.

Ali and Ryan still have great chemistry and it was apparent that they enjoyed every minute of working together.  

*****

I love cosmetics.  I am constantly in search of the miracle product that is going to take years off my appearance.  I've given up on finding something to make me taller and thinner, so I put all my energy towards beauty products.  I want to get carded again and be referred to as "Miss."  I have yet to find that miracle in a bottle that will turn back time, but I'm sure having fun trying.  






I'm really impressed with this primer.  It goes on smoothly and keeps my foundation in place for hours. 


My Sista recommended this foundation to me.  It is a joy to put on - so silky.  As you know, the problem with store-bought brands is getting the color right - so I bought two colors when they were on sale.  I mixed the two, and the color seems to be about right.  Because I have an oily t-zone, I started to get shiny after a few hours and the coverage was not as full as I needed.




I love this foundation.  It has got great coverage and stays matte for hours.





I use the lightest color of this to give my pasty, chalky skin a warm glow.  Don't know whether it actually glows, but it helps. 





This foundation got great reviews, but it's not for me.  Couldn't get the color right and it made my skin look like I had streaks.




My #1 gave me this for Christmas.  This is the new thing in mascaras.  Blinc is the original in the tube technology mascara.  It forms tiny water-resistant tubes around your lashes rather than painting them. The good news - it doesn't flake, clump, or run.  The bad news - difficult to take off.  You have to apply warm water and pressure to pull the tubes off the lashes.  Too much work for me.



My #1 gave me this mascara, as well.  My girl knows that her Mama loves trying new make up. This is a nice mascara that does not clump.  The brush is big which makes application easy.  I'm not sure it's worth the price, though. But I would definitely use it if my rich daughter kept buying it for me.



I ordered this because I was impressed with the video on line.  It looked so easy! 


Picture this girl 40 years older.
That says it all.

It may be pretty simple to everyone else.  The gel was difficult to apply, and it ended up looking like a goopy mess.  






Now we're talking.  I had never heard of this line before, but I was very impressed with this slanted eyebrow pencil.  It's user-friendly and lends itself to a very natural look.





Sephora


Tarte Creaseless Concealer does a stellar job covering up dark circles and flaws.  And it also stays on all day.  But when it comes to its creaseless claims, not on my old wrinkles.  It may work better on a 30-year-old, like everything else in the world. 

This high definition powder works just as well as the Smashbox more expensive version.  I'm becoming more and more impressed with the Elf line.

That's it for now.  I hope you enjoy your Sunday and your team wins.


I want to hear from you.
What's your latest and greatest beauty product?


Until next time...












Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

21 comments:

  1. Currently hooked on It Cosmetics CC Cream Foundation, Bye Bye Pores Powder and their new brown pencil. Was introduced to this line before Christmas and love the products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I was looking in my makeup bag the other day, thinking that I need to try some new makeup! Thanks for the tips!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. So important to me is cruelty free....Loreal and many others test on animals. I almost exclusively use IT cosmetics....also cruelty free are Milani and Elf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Arizona 2012. I should be more conscious of that. Now I love Elf even more! Enjoy your Sunday.

      Delete
  4. Like the readers above, I love IT CC cream foundation. My favorite eye cream is Philosophy Hope in a Tube eye and lip cream. Can't get enough of it. I'm a serum and moisturizer junkie and believe that more is better. I'd like to try the Hourglass Eyebrow Pencil. Thanks for being our test lab subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it ever stops snowing, I'm going to treat myself to some IT BB Cream foundation. "Hope" in a tube is also on my list. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  5. I like tinted moisturizer from IT Cosmetics. It is the first BB cream I've found that comes in a shade light enough for me. The coverage is pretty good, more than most BB creams but not as much as full coverage foundations; it's enough for me. Consistency is great and it has high SPF from minerals, not artificial chemicals. I buy it at ULta. I also like Nars stick blusher in Orgasm shade for natural blush and glow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katie! Love looking your beauty picks! you always find the best things. still loving my hyaluronic acid and vit c serum that you recommended last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great beauty suggestions!!! Thanks. And WOW those desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katie,
    My dear, you are beautiful from the inside so all the great makeup is the icing on the cake( my Granny used to call it 'warpaint' :)) I will definitely try some of your suggestions.
    So glad you enjoyed the play and your special day, Ali and Ryan are just classic.

    I hope you enjoy the Superbowl, it is on tv here and the atmosphere looks amazing.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, Tyra Banks Smack my fat lash mascara is the best! I gave it to a bunch of people this year for Christmas. My tyratainer is Dana Mallon if you need one. I bought it to be supportive of a friend. Turns out it really is fabulous! I am on my 4th tube.
    I also love Dr. Colbert face oil. Don't be afraid of the oil...I am oily too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the Lacome' brow powder yesterday and think I'm going to really like it. I do much better with a powder than a pencil and I'd never do well with the gel. :o)) Always fun to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I wish you could invent something to make me taller and thinner! Imagine how great we could look! I hardly have eyebrows.. Blond from my blond grandmother! I do need something but cannot find anything I like. May try one of your suggestions. Go how I remember Love Story, and would love to see the reading. Sheial

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed the show. The food looks amazing!!! I am searching for new makeup- apparently, I have an allergy to the makeup I have been using for the past 3 years. UGH! Thanks for the review and new things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Katie. :)

    I'm so glad to see you posting about make up this morning. Seriously, I've worn the same things for far to long and at 52, I'm looking really pale and tired. It's time to up the game! That whipped foundations sounds interesting....is it heavy?

    Thanks for commenting about Redeeming Love. I really enjoyed it too. How did I not know about it long ago? I must have been under a rock!

    It's so cool that you got to see Ali and Ryan in person. What a legendary combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to agree with the previous comments about the IT BB or CC foundation. I apply it with a brush, which I've never done before, and I love it. I also like the ELF powder! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your reviews, Katie...I love trying new kinds of makeup. I've heard wonderful things about No. 7..will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Saturday sounds like it was lots of fun. Ali looks fabulous! I am forever in search of a product to help with my pathetic, sparse eyebrows. Heading to Sephora to pick up the Hourglass tube. I hope you will be able to recognize me in SLC...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite "cheap" find is Cover Girl eyeliner...I am very interested in that bronzer as my winter skin color if 50 Shades of "Blah"...thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure how I missed this! The play sounds wonderful. I agree that women look so much better if they get no work done, some of the people on screen these days look waxy and frightening.

    I am not really one for make-up, I'm lazy. I like eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. But I am going to try out your bronzer and eyebrow suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking for a reliable way to send gifts to Mumbai ? Look no further. We have been delivering gifts in Mumbai since 1999. 24x7 support for sending gifts to Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts