Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Holiday Recap & Prime Time





Happy New Year!  I hope that you all enjoyed your holidays.  Did you have to fly anywhere?  I've never been so happy about having our family within driving distance.  It looked like a nightmare at the airports. 

Here's a quick glance at my exciting life for the past few weeks in Preppy Empty Nesterville.



First up... the company Christmas party was held at Capital Grille.
As you can see, no-shows are a thing of the past!
This photo captures the excitement of this company that has grown leaps and bounds.





The best part... the company honors the Employee of the Month with a token for a free cupcake.
I won in December!
That makes 12 months in a row!
Nailed it!!





I love topiaries and was delighted to find some for a steal at Trader Joe's.



Some people think that I have it made in the shade, being married to a chef.
I beg to differ.
Setting the table can be an arduous backbreaker of a task.



Christmas Eve day began like this.  Millie coughed all night long.  Even though she was fully vaccinated, she ended up with the dreaded Kennel Cough.  I've had several dogs in my lifetime, and Millie's the only one who picked up the virus.

Millie is the perfect fit for our family.  It never fails; if one of us gets sick, it usually happens on a holiday. 



This presented another twist to our holiday.  Everyone was staying overnight, including Chowdah.  Because kennel cough is uber contagious, we had to keep him away from Millie, which was no easy task.  It became a game of musical doors.  They each would take a time-out in a room while the other one was allowed to come out to socialize. 

And I thought keeping Millie away from the tree was a challenge.  That was a cakewalk compared to this. 







AJ showing off his new sneaks and a glance at some of their loot. 








The Mister always has to get a gadget.  And he reminds me months in advance.  You've never seen a sadder face when he only sees shirt boxes under the tree.




And he surprised me with this plush robe from one of my favorite companies, Boll & Branch.
Please ignore my Secret Service detail in the background.  



Our #2 snuck Chowdah into my office upstairs.  Millie never saw him.  Every once in a while, Chowdah would bark from upstairs.  Millie would freeze and then check out our facial expressions to see if we heard it too.  It was a poker-face kind of holiday. 



Chowdah enjoying his few minutes of freedom.



We had a fabulous dinner of lamb chops, and the Mister put a bow on it with this delicious apple Tarte Tatin.

Unfortunately, we got very few food pics because we were putting all our energy into our sole mission: Operation Separation



Now it's time to show you what we have been spending our money on at Amazon.  I am linking up with my buddy, Tanya, at The Other Side of the Road.


 


This pencil has a soft touch and goes on smoothly.





A lot of bloggers are raving about this brush.
Great price, but I don't get it.






Because my life is not exciting enough, I now have to use 2 different strengths for my readers - one for reading and one for the computer.  Spoiler alert: I can never find the right one at the right time., 










What can I say?
In dog years, Millie is a preteen and crazy about fashion.







I ordered a backup beanie because I forgot to charge mine the last time I needed it. 

 


These napkins are a good bang for the buck.  I just reordered in navy and green.




I knew the Mister would love one of these.




Within minutes of opening, the Mister had one more organized drawer and a big ol' smile on his face. 






Another gadget for the Mister.





I had this on a gift guide, and the Mister hinted that he wanted one.
 His wish is my command, especially since it's under 30 bucks.





The neighbors are starting to complain about the Mister's snoring.
I wish that these worked, but they don't.




Amazon


These are great.  The miracle will be if I remember where I put them next year.




A bag of gadgets bag for the Mister.



Yup, it's the first of the year.




We had some temps in the teens, so I stocked up on fleece-lined leggings.  These are high-waisted, have two pockets, and come with tummy control.  

I look skinny before I even start my workout!





 

 


Amazon 





Amazon



 

Amazon 

The Mister ordered one of these pans and liked it so much that he ordered three more.




The Mister is very particular about his buns.  

No bun intended.





Amazon


We ordered one of these so our #2 could hunker down in my office.  She said it was very comfortable, which is good news for the Mister.  If he doesn't stop snoring, this might be his new crib.



 

Amazon 


 


Amazon 

This is great for hanging things up to 37 lbs.



This platter is very heavy, and we have yet to have mishaps.

Knock, knock on wood.



Amazon

An Amazon patron's best friend. 





 

 Amazon

I suffer from SCS - shaky camera syndrome.

The Mister thinks that this might do the trick.  As an added bonus, it comes with a detachable wireless remote.

  

 

Amazon 

New tree... new bag.



 

Amazon

The Mister bought this for his leather chair in his office. 

No, he did not buy me one too.

He doesn't know this, but Millie likes to drool on it.


 


Amazon 



Amazon 

I think the Mister should open a flashlight store and call it something clever like Flashlights Are Us.




Last but not least, I want to wish my #1 a very happy birthday!



Linking up with:


 



 















Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

47 comments:

  1. I am so happy that my favorite blogger is back!! As always, you have the best content and share it in such a fun way! Hope Millie is better and can now spend time with her BFF, Chowdah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need that Dove chocolate bar crimper so that I can go easy on myself and eat half the bar at a time and enjoy re-opening it for the second half..... just as soon as it's sealed up!! Less than 10 minutes later- HA!
    Happy New Year, Katie and family.
    Here's hoping y'all have a healthy, fun-loving & prosperous new year and maybe a trip with George and Amal and kiddos. Can't wait to hear/read about your adventures this year! m in HI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M! George and Amal keep calling but we have been too busy hanging out with William and Kate. I hope that you have a very happy new year!

      Delete
    2. HONESTLY!!!!HOW DO I GET AN INVITE?
      CODE NAME LA CONTESSA!

      Delete
  3. Greeting and Happy New Year! Once again thanks for all the recommendations. I particularly like the hook for the heavy platter over your cook top. Would you please share what you attached to the platter so you could hang? TIA 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tia... the Mister used a large spring load plate hanger like this one.https://amzn.to/3IreQfM Good news: it's still up!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year!🎊🎉🍾 and thanks for all the recommendations! Our son loves the beanie for running.
    Also, did you talk about your kitchen update?🙏🏻
    Thanks Nancy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me, Nancy. The post is in the works.

      Delete
  5. Great recap, Katie. Good family time!
    If Cupcake ATM was one off NW HWY in Dallas? We live 5 minutes from that and indulge often!
    I love your robe and got a giggle. One of my fave Kristin Wiig SNL spots…. 🎄 morning
    “And I got a robe “ https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVCtUdaMCU
    Best,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana... I love that skit! Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Katie. So glad you are back. Whenever you post beauty items, I add them to my Amazon cart and forget about them. Well, this year I must have
    received 10 different beauty items from my hubs. Can't wait to see how beautiful and youthful I will become.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and yours! Enjoy your blog so much. I also am curious about what the back of the beautiful platter fixture/hanger on thingy above the stove looks like please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! He used one of these: https://amzn.to/3IreQfM Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. That must have been quite the game of musical dogs! Other than that it sounds like a wonderful Christmas. I'd love that baggie/wrap organizer but I know my guys would just make a mess of it... and it's missing a slot for parchment paper! LOL. We go through a lot of parchment paper in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, you truly make me laugh so hard! Please write a book or a sitcom or both, I need more of this in my life.
    Poor Millie, I hope she is feeling better and I can just imagine the poker faces you all had when Chowdah barked. Hahahaha!!!
    My husband snores like a freight train and so far the only thing that helps is me wearing ear plugs!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  10. We also had to keep the pups separate on Christmas, but due to fighting instead of illness.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one of those - only it wasn't the dogs it was the relatives...

      Delete
  11. Annie G here- Happy New Year. That dessert is a masterpiece! I would feel guilty eating it. I am sorry that Millie is sick, Sassy had kennel cough we all needed ear plugs. I love the robe! Putting it on my list. Happy Birthday to #1. Wishing you all a happy healthy 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Annie, - let's plan a happy hour ala phone!

      Delete
  12. Hi Katie, Happy New Year! I'm Sue. I haven't commented before but I enjoy your blog immensely. Your comment about needing two different readers caught my attention because I had the same problem. Check out www.zennioptical.com. They have progressives that are reading / computer glasses. You can go back and forth between reading and screenwork without changing glasses. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue... thank you so much for the tip. I will look into it. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  13. Oh my emailing you in a bit! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a Christmas! Your blog is always so much fun! Sorry about poor Millie hope she is better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like it was a fun time. Nothing like our little families. I love the tartan plaid tablecloth and place setting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like your Christmas was quite the occasion what with keeping the dogs apart. Your decorating, as always, looks fabulous, and Mister’s food always makes me drool. I laughed at all your cute comments and loved seeing who got what - it’s almost like a second Christmas for me. So glad your family could be together. I wish you the very best of health and happiness in 2023 and look forward to many more enjoyable and informative blog posts in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan for your sweet words. I wish you a very happy, healthy new year!

      Delete
  17. I bought the round silver grill scraper for my nephew's stocking at Christmas, and it was a big hit!! I pay attention to all your Amazon items. Thanks for the suggestions, and Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I'll keep you posted on the Grillbot - the Mister hasn't tried it yet. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  18. Well, 2-3 of these items are going in my cart. I love these posts so much. Sounded like a most fun C'mas with your family. Blessings abundant to you this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Going back to check out a few of your picks!! Always fun, Katie. So sorry about your sick puppy and having to keep the babies separated but nice to have the kiddos there. Happy birthday to your #1!! Happy new year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I boarded my terrier roommate in early December, and she had just been vaccinated for Kennel Cough---she got it, and I was surprised to learn the vaccine doesn't prevent it! So why are we vaccinating the pups if it doesn't prevent the disease?
    Your Christmas looked like fun apart from trying to keep the bestie pups separated.
    Happy New Year,
    Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Karen. I thought the same thing. I have wondered why they test for heartworm when I've been giving the preventative to Millie every month. Happy New Year, dear Karen!

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year Katie! Did I spy the Italian Sundae from Il Bracco for #1's birthday? It is one of my favorite desserts in Dallas! Enjoyed your Christmas post and am hoping that Miss Millie is well-recovered now. xo Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Sherry... that was my first time there but certainly not my last! And how 'bout them meatballs??? I've been dreaming about them. That Olive Oil Sundae dessert is probably the BEST dessert I have ever tasted!! Outside of the Mister's of course. Thanks so much for always leaving sweet comments. I hope to meet you in person some day!! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  22. Visiting you always puts a smile on my face Katie, Happy New Year!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, always a happy moment to read your blog posts! Can you tell us about the tennis shoes that your son in law received? My son can wear those types of tennies to work and they look sharp and comfy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Our favorite SIL is such a shoe guy. We gave him Peter Millar V Glides per his wish list. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

      Delete
  24. Happy New Year! I am trying to hang a platter above my stove like you show so I'm going to purchase the hanger you used...just curious what did you use on the platter to hang it? Hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor Millie! It looks like a festive Christmas, and I'm so glad no one had to brave the friendly (?) skies. Thanks so much for linking up to Prime Purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back!!!! I get the blues when you take time off so needless to say I'm over the top happy now! You have the MOST PHOTOGENIC FAMILY and I loved seeing their expressions. Fun to see what the big hits are and really fun to hear what happens behind the scenes. Happy Birthday #1 and Happy New Year Katie! KTG

    ReplyDelete
  27. very informative and impressive article. Thanks for sharing with us
    cyfuture cloud

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I definitely enjoyed studying it. This information provided by you is very practical for good planning.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts