Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, January 22, 2016

Dreamin' & Readin' in a Blizzard

Hello, dear friends.  Wednesday evening was filled with laughter, great food, and lively conversation at my book club.  It was hosted by a lovely lady at a charming antique home that was adorned with black shutters and a red door.  Quintessential New England. 

I just texted my #2 to warn her that she is going to get slammed with snow.  She informed me last night that the stomach flu has been running rampant through her college. Part of the reason for this is that the school is not doling out excused absences for illness this week.  Can you imagine a worse combo - a blizzard, the flu, and a bunch of crazy college students?  Ugh. 

Believe it or not, Boston is at the edge of the storm this time.  I'm hoping that we don't have much because we have a party invite for Saturday evening with some very fun people.  If I have to buy a sled with Chili and Chowdah leading it to get me there, I will.   


Chowdah & Chili in training.

I dedicate this post to all my blog buddies who are facing a mother of a storm this weekend.  Find a cozy corner and read a good book.  Or tune into a good movie or if you need some exercise, binge watch a series.  Bundle up and enjoy your free time.  
Now if you have small children or whiny teens - been there, done that - you have my deepest sympathy. 

Here are a few of my favorite books that I recommend for a snowbound weekend.  



Houzz


Just finished this book, and positively adored it.


Buzzfeed


One of my all time faves.  
Warning: do not read without tissues.


Buzzfeed



Sequel to Me Before You and I liked it just as much.



Amazon

This book has a great story centering around a political family and glamorous women, just like me.


Freshome

Another one of my all time faves.  
Two of my book club buddies feel the same way.





Darling story.



Tmagazine



Amazon

A great story about a most lovable curmudgeon. 


BH&G


Amazon

Loads of twists and turns in this mystery. 


Pinterest



A sweet story centering around an enchanting southern couple dealing with love and sacrifice.  It is beautifully written by a fellow blogger, Kristy Woodson Harvey, from Design Chic


Pinterest

Amazon

Read this one in two sittings.  
It's no wonder I'm chunky curvy.


New England Home

Amazon

If you're crazy about dogs and appreciate a good love story, this book is for you.


Betsy Speert


If you don't feel like reading, I highly recommend this award- winning series.


Amazon


Any recommendations for our snowbound friends? 

Until next time...








Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

26 comments:

  1. We had the first part of the storm come through last night, but for us it was rain, lightening and heavy winds. A few trees were down just east of us, but now we're drying out. Hope everyone is safe and enjoys a good book! I'm glad you've posted these suggestions because it reminded me I have two of them on my shelf I haven't remembered to read yet! Got to get on it right away!
    Happy weekend, dahling!
    - Leslie Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well friend looks like you will be spared, for us they are predicting 6-12" but that is nothing compared to DC. I have a luncheon to go to and BRACING myself for the market as I know it will be filled with panic stricken shoppers scurrying for the last gallon of milk, this phenomenon always cracks me up. Thanks for the book ideae, I have 3 sitting waiting to be read, soooo behind so I may just make it a movie marathon:)
    The vision of Chili and Chowdah pulling you on a sleigh will keep me smiling the entire day....too funny!! Stay warm and party on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will PRAY you get to THE PARTY!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Katie, we did get hit with snow and ice here in the Midwest, not as much as they are predicting for the East coast though!Love the nook looks and book recommendations. I have just started The Nightingale, excellent!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Dream of Spring

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are "supposed" to get something later this evening and throughout the night. Just praying it's not ice! #2 got some snow and is expecting more in TN. We sure don't need another event like 2 years ago. At least it is coming in on the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BBBBRRRRR! Looks like Chili and Chowdah have the best spot on a winter day! I have read a few of these on your reading list and agree....good reads! There is something so very charming about a reading nook! Will definitely try some of these you listed....thank you SO much for the recommendations! Stay warm Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of cold rain and very windy here....this old gal can't deal with snow! Thanks for all the book suggestions, I'm off to check them out and see which ones "speak" to me (LOL)! My 95 year old mom and I each have a Kindle and she is constantly reading hers so I'm always looking for books I think she would like as well.

    Stay warm Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, you've got me Pinning and Pinning over here so I'll remember these books.

    About Bernadette...the review that I read before reading the book called her agoraphobic. My friends didn't read that. I found that my whole notion of the book was changed because of that word. I learned from that little mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beach Music, Yes! I may pull it out to reread this weekend. Wow...it has been snowing nonstop since I got up this a.m. About 7 ish. And those are chunky snowflakes too. Right now we have blizzard conditions! I am posting snow pics on the blog. Me too been there done that with kids and teens. I'm staying in...cause I don't want to dent the Volvo! But today would be a good test of its abilities. Ha! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cozy rooms! Thanks for the book reviews. I'm certain Chowda and Chili will deliver you safely to your destination! And if we lived next door we'd loan you our 9 pound rescue, Pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yikes! so sorry, I spelled Chowdah's name wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie,It is snowing here,right now,and it is beautiful!! We hardly ever get snow here in Huntsville,so I am enjoying the view.It will melt by tomorrow,so no worries. I love all your book suggestions,and I will recommend some of them to my book club.Our book club is reading The Husband's Secret,this month,and I really liked it.I finished it in a day!! Hope you and the Mister make it to your party!! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snowing here in central Maryland...we are hunkered down with beverage, snacks, shovels, snowblower, and magazines. Unfortunately the only book I must read before I go back to school is Toliver's Secret...I may need to Kindle one or two of those books if I am stuck here for too long, but please pray for power at my house. HAve a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, thank you for the Dear Carolina shout out! You are too kind! We are at the coast, which I'm pretty sure is the only place in NC that isn't getting snow right now--much to my son's disappointment! But we will probably brave the elements so he can go home and make a snowman! Your puppies are soooo cute! And hoping your #2 doesn't get that flu... Stay warm, my friend! Sending much love your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of these books are going on my "to read list." By the way, the list is getting really long thanks to all of your recommendations. Our temperatures are dipping into the 30s at night here in Texas, which is cold enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie,
    your books sound interesting though I usually read mysteries and thrillers. Chowdah and Chili look like they are gearing up more for a sleigh ride then actually being the driving force to get you there! We got the biggest snowfall here in TN since 2003, 3 to 6 inches, it's beautiful! Reminds me of our time living in WI. Stay warm and party on!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  17. The storm rolled through here yesterday.I am using it as an excuse to binge watch on Netflix. Hope you get to your party. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have almost two feet....it's beautiful today. I will want it gone tomorrow! Enjoying some Ann Rule true crime books on my Nook in-between loads of laundry and drying wet snowy clothes from the boys! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read the sequel to Me Before You, but glad to know you liked it. I am always leary of sequels to books I loved. I'm reading The Lake House by Kate Morton. It is so good. I love her books, and this one does not disappoint. I'm almost finished now. I love all Pat Conroys books. He's one of my all time faves. We had snow and ice (yuck), but we can get out ( as long as we are alert to the inexperienced-in-bad-weather drivers out there, of which there are many!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to have a red door in the kitchen, I loved it. I'm always texting my kids about the weather too, they totally ignore me. All the best to east coast residents!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did I miss this fabulous post!!!! I have read many of these books but there are several new ones here as well, I will be ordering them as soon as I leave here.

    Thank you for the great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! I'm putting this in your archives because i have a question about Google+, because I'm thinking of joining. You, along with so many who are in Google+, show up as a No Reply blogger. Is there a way to remedy this? I don't want to lose followers. Also, this does not happen when i visit you, but does happen when i visit many Google+ members, that I'm not allowed to comment because I'm not a Google+ member. I'd hate to have my readers not able to comment. Okay, for now that's all the questions. Enjoy a good book. Don't you Love that first window seat especially!!! I'm trying to figure out where in my house i can replicate it! Have a wonderful day. xoxo - Judy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okumamak kitaplar köşesinde harika bir model

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts