Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Monday, December 7, 2015

Thanksgiving Weekend




Hello, dear friends.  If you've been wondering where I've been lately, I was on my death bed.  Not literally, but it certainly felt like it.  Wednesday morning, I woke up in a web of fever, chills, and every bone in my body ached.  I hoped it was a 24-hour virus, but I was not so lucky.  I called the Doctor on day 3 and she said that even though I had the flu shot, it could be another strain or it could be  some other virus.  In any case, her prescription was to take Advil - but not too much because it could turn toxic.  Yikes.  I wanted to ask her if she had any good news for me.

I watched every Christmas movie on the Hallmark channel and two seasons of my #1's favorite show, Fixer Upper.  Gotta love Chip and Joanna.

The worst part was missing out on the Concord Home Tour with my buddy, Mary.  Oh well, there's always next year. 

This post covers our delightful Thanksgiving weekend with our girls.  


 

Before the big arrival, the pups headed to the groomers for a sweet smelling bath.  Can you tell how thrilled they are to be on their way? 



Apres bath kisses.





Our #2 arrived home first.  She spent plenty of time catching up with Chowdah and Chili.


Our #1 arrived with everyone else in the world on the day before Turkey Day.  Can you tell that Chili has a fondness for belly rubs? 



Happy pups to have their sistas home.





I won the battle of the Christmas cards this year.  For the past couple of years, the girls refused to do a picture.  But this year I utilized a healthy dose of mom guilt.  Every time one of my girls would ask me what I wanted for Christmas, I would tell them in a sad voice that I wanted one last Christmas card with featuring them and Chowdah and Chili, of course.   They finally relented.

Here are a couple of out-takes.  I have been threatening and bribing these two for a natural smile for the card for over twenty years.  Now I just have to work on Chowdah and Chili. 



We spent Black Friday on Newbury Street.  Our #2 stayed home to work on two ten-page papers.  If I didn't know better, I would think she was adopted.  We lunched at one of our favorite restaurants, Paparazzi.




When we got there, I went to the ladies room and came out to find the Mister flirting with the hostess. I can't take him anywhere.



We stopped during our shopping expedition to satisfy the Mister's sweet tooth.




I thought Black Friday would be crazy on Black Friday but it wasn't at all.







Our #1 offered to help us decorate the outside of the house.  So we grabbed her, jumped in the car and sped away before she could change her mind. 









The fruit of our hard labor.


We took in two movies; my favorite and least favorite of the year. 


You know how much I love Diane Keaton.  I was very excited for Love the Coopers and had high hopes for this flick.  I was hoping for another movie like Family Stone.

To put it politely, it was a waste of great talent.  It had a mish-mash of plots and subplots that were ridiculous.  I hope Diane has someone with taste pick her next film.




I positively adored everything about Brooklyn.  The love story was beautiful, without being over done.  I highly recommend this movie if you are looking for enchanting escapism.


Until next time...





Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! Long time no comment! It looks like you had a perfect Thanksgiving visit with your girls. I hope Christmas is equally wonderful! Your home looks beautiful! I'm sad to read your review of Love the Coopers. I thought how could it fail with that great cast! Happy Holidays! Jean in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Jean! I agree. I was hoping that Love the Coopers would be great but oh so disappointed. A true waste of talent. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling better. Beautiful girls and beautiful holiday decorations! And, those pups are just precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so cute. Sorry you have been under the weather, how adorable seeing the reunion with the girls and pups! Heard such great things about Brooklyn, cannot wait to see it. Your house looks GORGEOUS. It should be on a holiday tour! And thanks for the tip about putting on the sad voice, I need to try that as in TOMORROW!!! We do not have pictures, no Christmas cards, no tree, lets just say I have a lot of work ahead of me!! You inspired me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are so beautiful and so are your pups! Hope you are feeling better fast! The house looks gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are feeling better! I have had no luck getting a good Christmas card pic this year--usually I am able to get a friend or "older" relative to get a picture for us, but not this year. If only I had used the sad voice! Your girls are adorable, and the pups are pretty cute, too! Your house is beautiful--I hope you'll post your inside decorations, too. I'm sure they are terrific! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special to have your girls home for Thanksgiving! I'm sure it must be hard having them so far away most of the year. Your home looks amazing and how sweet of your daughter to help you decorate.....I'm sure she really enjoyed it, and I mean that seriously. I love the pop of red against the white house and black shutters.....and I love those flower boxes! Thanks for another movie tip! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that you were sick - sounds similar to what I had last spring. I called the doctor after 12 hours and begged for Tamiflu, which worked like a miracle.
    Your house looks festive!
    I love Chip and Joanna too! Chip is like big kid.
    I have Brooklyn on my movie to-see list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are on the mend. Flu is miserable. The girls, the pups, the house, you and the Mister, all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're feeling better by now! Looks like a great Thanksgiving weekend for all of you and so much fun decorating and shopping together. Love all the photos and can't wait to see the final for your Christmas card! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry you've been sick-ugh! I'm glad you got your girls home and convinced them you needed a photo. We were in downtown Cincinnati on Black Friday and it wasn't bad. I don't normally do any shopping on Black Friday, but maybe all the on-line deals combined with scary news everywhere kept the crowds down. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Katie..what a lovely Thanksgiving you all had! The picture of your girls and the pups are too darling....love them! Your home is stunning...all dressed for Christmas..hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie,
    being sick....yuck! So glad you're better! How fun to have the girls home for Thanksgiving, I'm sure it made shopping and decorating so much more fun! The pics of them and the pups, adorable. The house looks amazing, love the decorations! I've been in CA for 2 weeks, this week to go, (helping my sister out while she has her last knee replacement surgery), then I get to go home and finish decorating and shopping!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought Love the Coopers was fairly bad as well. I had such high hopes too! I also like the pics of your girls (especially the one in a previous post). Glad you won that argument!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous girlies and doggies! Brave family to take on Newbury Street on Black Friday -glad all came out unscathed!

    I hope your flu was at least good for a post-holiday weight loss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a treat to see you and your family having fun; although Katie I am so sorry you got a bug and were down a bit, missing the Homes Tour! Your OWN home looks marvelous for the Holidays!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    More Books for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello from across the pond dear Katie,
    I do hope you are better now,sorry for you being under the weather I hope that you enjoyed Thanksgiving with your girls. I saved a picture of the dogs with their red bows, all so festive with your lovely house so beautifully decorated...I was telling Mummy about it today as we collected my tree (I am miles behind :)
    I haven't forgotten to email you my dear..I will be in touch soon
    much love and Christmas wishes to you all
    Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home looks lovely and I'm glad you are feeling better. Have a wonderful day.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry that you have been sick. Glad it didn't hit you until after your wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with the girls. The house looks gorgeous. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. KC, I hope that you are feeling better. The house looks so charming. Chow and Chili are so cute but #1 and 2 are truly stunning. If those are the outtake photo's, I can't imagine the card. annie_g.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts