Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Monday, October 28, 2013

A Movie and a Book


Last weekend, my #1 came home.  We had a great time indulging in retail therapy as well as dining on delicious, fattening, comfort food.  She's such a bad influence on me.

I took her to my favorite fancy schmancy movie theater.  We lunched on chicken satay, quesadillas, and the best darn sweet potato fries known to woman.  






We both agreed on the choice of the movie.







Tom Hanks did it again.  He gave one of the best performances of his lifetime in Captain Phillips.  He plays brave and vulnerable better than any guy in Hollywood.  Even you, George Clooney.

The movie is based on a true story.  I remember when the drama played out before my eyes in the news.  Although I knew the final outcome, the details still captivated me.  I was positively sitting on the edge of my lazy boy! 

There is not one dull, ho-hum moment in this flick.  Warning:  use the restroom before the movie begins.  You won't want to miss a minute of this nail biter of a film!







"My darling Cecilia, if you're reading this, then I've died...." Her husband had not intended that she read the letter until after his demise, but Cecilia's curiosity betrayed him. The unsettling words that she read forever changed the life of this once contented wife and mother; yet this well-intended posthumous missive also becomes the spur that enables Cecilia to connect with two other women recently pushed towards crossroads. A new novel by Liane Moriarty (What Alice Forgot; The Hypnotist's Love) as original and well-crafted as a fine string quartet.
~Barnes and Noble


I had not read any of Liane Moriarty's previous books.  But when I was midway through this one, I ordered two more books of hers on Amazon.

This book was a total joy to read.  I loved the characters and although the story line was a bit far-fetched at times, it was a fun read.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!











Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

10 comments:

  1. Okay- You hooked me! I will look forward to that movie AND to reading her books. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - I just happened on your blog and I just have respond. I too just found Liane Moriarty, just finished reading Three Wishes and now reading What Alice Forgot. Love em!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go see a movie every week if I could lounge like that! Love What Alice Forgot. Need to check this one out. Our book clubs choices have not been so great lately. I tried to email you this link, but it bounced for some reason. This is the link for the company that did the monogrammed scarf #2's sorority sister got her for her birthday. www.simply-sisters.com They have super cute stuff and so reasonable. Mom, and girls are part of #2s sorority!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear the recommendation for "Captain Philips"...it looks good. We saw "Gravity" over the weekend and loved it. I really enjoyed "The Husband's Secret" too.

    Have a lovely evening! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chair is humungous! I wish I was asleep in it right now! I will have to check out the Tom Hanks movie. I absolutely love him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you should read some of the comments from the crew of the Maersk Alabama. They tell a very different story than the one told in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. movie AND a book.sounds perfect to me. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that book and then proceeded to read all her other books - I think you will really like What Alice Forgot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to hear that you liked Captain Phillips. I'm anxious to see it - perhaps in our neighborhood fancy-pants theater! Glad you had a fun weekend with your #1. Those times are so precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a theater! Why don't we have one of those near us?

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts