Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Blue Cheese & Hodgepodge

Hello, dear friends.  I hope that y'all are having a fabulous week.  I am counting the minutes until my #1 and Adorable Jonathon arrive on my doorstep on Friday morning.  The weather forecasters promise cool temperatures and sunny skies.

If it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.








1.  Are there any men or women in blue on your family tree?



I don't have men in blue in my family, however, I have bumped into a few on the road.   For some reason, they are never impressed with me.  I still get the ticket.





2.  Are you someone who suffers from the Sunday night blues?What helps you get over it?



I don't have a case of Sunday night blues, however, when I was younger, I suffered from Sunday Night Terrors.  It would involve studying, exams, and term papers.  I would always promise myself that I would start studying on Friday the next weekend instead of Sunday night, but for some reason, it never happened.

I still have nightmares about it.


One of my children inherited that characteristic.
I won't mention any names, though.



3.  I read the color blue is an appetite suppressant since there are very few naturally blue food out there.  How do you feel about blue cheese?  Love it or blech?  If you're a fan, what's something you like that's made with blue cheese?





When we lived in McKinney, Texas, we belonged to a club where I played on a tennis team.  I wasn't any good, but they kept me on for comic relief.  My teammates and I would go to lunch after practice at the restaurant.  We would either celebrate or drown our sorrows in the homemade chips and blue cheese that they served.  No matter how we played, it always involved blue cheese and chips.

It's no wonder that I never lost weight when I played tennis!


4. We can't head into the Labor Day weekend without a related question, can we?  Complete this thought:  I work best when __________________.






I work best when the technology gods have blessed me with stellar speed and the Mcdonald's gods grant me a Big Mac, fries, and a diet coke.  No regular coke for me, I have to watch my girlish figure.





5.  'Everything yields to diligence.'  Antiphanes.  Your thoughts?  (on this particular quote or on diligence in general)





Please see answer to question #2.



6.  The National Park Service turned 100 years old on August 25th.  Have you been to many of America's National Parks?  If so, share with us a favorite or two.  Which National Park would you most like to visit before the next birthday rolls around?





What I haven't experienced in national parks, I make up in shopping malls.



7.  Insert your own random thought here. 

A lot of people ask me why I blog.  There are a few reasons.  Besides the fact that blogging has given me the means to now afford five summer homes, the Kardashian's plastic surgeon, and Ryan Lochte's hairstylist are just a few of the benefits.

But seriously folks,  I have met the greatest people.  The blogging world has become a sisterhood for me.  And the best part is... the bloggers that I have met are 100% genuine.  All live many miles away from me and yet I feel close to them.  Here are the bloggers that I had an opportunity to visit with this summer.





 I was delighted to meet Beemie from A Milkman's Daughter this summer while she was visiting family in the area.  She shares the funniest family stories and is the one who coined the phrase "forced family fun."





I always love catching up with my friend, Mo from Mocadeaux. We've gone to a couple of conferences together.  I think that we laughed more than we learned.  Mo's family lives in the Boston area, so I get to see her three or four times a year.




A couple of weeks ago, I met Elizabeth from The Vintage Contessa.  She is a great lady from San Francisco who has great style and a sharp wit.  





   And last, but not least, yesterday I had the pleasure of being Christine's guest for lunch at the beautiful New York Yacht Club.  I have been following Christine's blog, Suburban Charm for a long time. Christine is positively adorable; she loves Homegoods, has a fascinating job, loves true crime stories like me, and has a blended family of 8 in Virginia.  Yup, I said 8.

I've also met some wonderful readers during the years both personally and virtually.  I consider myself blessed.

Until next time...





Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

30 comments:

  1. How great to have met some of your fellow bloggers, Katie! I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoy your blog and your incredible sense of humor. You are definitely a bright spot in my week, so THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a hoot! :) I'm with you on the sisterhood of the blogosphere and could not have said it better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way to start a Wednesday - an otherwise pretty dull middle-of-the-week.
    Every blogger I've met has been just as I'd thought from her writing. it's such a treat to meet these friends and to move from the virtual to the actual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blueberries and blue (bleu) cheese. Yum. I love meeting the blogging community online or in person -- everyone I have met has been completely authentic,, exactly what I would have expected from their blogs.

    Oh, and I would have answered that one question but it was too many big words for this early in the morning! (It was a late night.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so precious and a hoot to boot!! Yep, I get the ticket too, lol. I can't wait to meet some fellow bloggers. Meeting up with several next May in Toronto. Have the best Wednesday, this list made mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are always the best start to my day, Katie. I can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could not agree more about the friendships of blogging. I have yet to meet anyone of my blog friends in person but I love getting to know them better through email and calls.

    Speaking of which, I discovered Ellie through your blog and I read that she had passed away this week. I was happy that she made it back to LA but so sad to hear that the ALS finally took its toll. I am sure that she is as funny and as irreverent as ever up with the other angels.

    Have a wonderful time with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOST IN ARLES and STEPHEN ANDREW JONES.BLOGSPOT have done BEAUTIFUL TRIBUTES to HER.......

      Delete
  8. I still haven't met any fellow bloggers, but hope to do that. Maybe you! It's funny how you can tell the ones that are genuine and who you know you could be friends with in real life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    FUN!!!
    Guess what? I am meeting a fellow blogger Saturday. :-))
    Have a great weekend,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I loved reading your answers. I have met a fellow blogger or two and it was great fun. You are a riot and I will be back. Thanks for stopping by and visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote by Confucius ♥♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. No men in blue in my family, but just attended a wedding in NOLA, and the groom was a New Orleans police officer before becoming a lawyer. He had always dreamed of being a policeman, so after earning a degree at SMU, he returned to NOLA to join the force. Still very proud of being on the force. His grooms cake was made to represent his police badge.
    No Sunday night blues since graduating from UT, like blue cheese in a salad, I work best with a deadline, and I've visited many National Parks. Yellowstone was a childhood favorite. Feel the same about blogging friends. Making new friends across the country is a perk I didn't expect. Hope you get back to Austin sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy reading your answers, they make me smile. It is so true how many wonderful, amazing women and men bloggers I've met through blogging! A blessing indeed to share so much with others. Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never met a fellow blogger before, lucky you!!
    Forced family fun, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a fantastic Blue Cheese dip that looks similar to the one you mentioned. I may have to add that to my list of recipes to share. It's delicious!
    I agree, the friendships I've made through blogging is definitely one of the best surprises. I'm a little jealous you & Beemie met up. I love both of your witty personalities! I bet that was a fun time!
    Enjoy your weekend with your beautiful daughter & Johnathan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading your posts and enjoy your sense of humour. My husband seriously loves blue cheese, Stilton to be exact. I really enjoyed seeing other bloggers you have met. I like discovering new blogs. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really has been a treat for me to meet fellow bloggers, too. Judging from your answers you enjoy life and are fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am with you on good reasons to blog. It's a strange little world, and some might think it odd that a whole group of people would get excited about…say…a new laundry basket, but I have definitely found my people. And who doesn't LOVE a cute laundry basket or pillow or dish drainer or a recipe involving bleu cheese?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have much luck with policeman either. I even got a speeding ticket coming home from the Galleria and was 8 1/2 months pregnant! I mean I could have been rushing to the hospital! I wasn't but that's beside the point.;-) I am a big blue cheese fan! The chips look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those chips and blue cheese crumbles look delish! Yes, blogging is so much fun and the folks we meet are just the best. You are right at the top of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love reading posts from bloggers who join in with Hodge Podge. I learn so much about everyone! And the things we can identify with amaze me.

    I've had my share with the blue but thankfully, I was never the one that was in the wrong!! Recently I was rushing one of my sweet pups to the vet and I was stopped for sort of rolling through a stop sign. I was so shaken with my sick dog that I just babbled on about speeding and not using my turn signal and whatever else I might have done wrong. The woman police officer patted me on the shoulder and said, "Get your little girl to the vet.", and just walked away.

    Blue cheese. That dip looks awesome! My MIL loved a burger she got at her favorite steakhouse called The Petey Blue. I'll never forget that. No matter how many times I asked what she ordered, it was the same. ;-D

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chips and blue cheese looks pretty heavenly! And, no wonder, I can't get you back down here to hang with us New Yawker bloggers - you are too busy with ones that come to YOU. I am going to have to come to Boston to see you! Have fun you #1 and AJ - they are so adorable! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Meet me next! Meet me next! I'll bring blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those of us who have had the chance to meet you in person are the lucky ones! We know that, if it's even possible, you are even more hilarious, sassy, charming, genuine and beautiful in person. Have a wonderful holiday weekend with #1 and AJ. We will look forward to a full report.

    ReplyDelete
  25. NOPE NEVER cared for BLUE CHEESE and now I canNOT eat as it has GLUTEN in it I have been told!
    WE WERE ALL HONORED TO MEET YOU!YOU ARE A STAR in the BLOGGING WORLD..........and I mean a STAR!
    KEEP GOING.........as it is a SISTERHOOD.Like we discussed at LUNCH, it is hard to meet FRIENDS after your kids leave school and this brings PEOPLE together.......ESPECIALLY IF THEY COMMENT A LOT and WE get to know each other through OUR WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
  26. CANNOT recall the LAST TIME I was at a NATIONAL PARK!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy your hodgepodge answers and especially fancy your use of stock photography. The colorist who did lochte's silverblue deserves no accolades. The poor today show hairstylist who had to respray silver paint onto it between segments is the real American hero. Literally from shot to shot it would be different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a fun post.....and I totally agree about the connections being the best part of blogging. It really is amazing how it brings people from all over the world together. Wishing you and your family a most happy and safe Labor Day, hope it doesn't rain
    !! Have fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I clearly need to quit my job because I had no idea you included me in this post. I do believe that children are the future, but perhaps noting my fame on your blog I need to let someone else teach those who will take care of us in our retirement. Champagne all around...I am going to really enjoy my three day weekend, which does include some of the three F's (forced family fun!)

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts