Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Newport, KJP, & A Good Movie

Hello, dear friends.  It's a rainy, muggy day here on the South Shore of Massachusetts.  Fingers and paws crossed that we avoid thunder and lightning due to Chili's issues.  I gave her a couple of happy pills just in case.  And I don't mind telling you that I kept a few for myself.



Did you watch the Emmy's?  I was so happy that Rachel Brosnahan and my favorite show, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel received so many awards.  Rachel rocked her red dress. However, that hanging sleeve thing wore on my nerves.  By the way... did you know that Kate Spade was her aunt?


Our weather was beautiful this weekend, so the Mister and I decided to visit one of my favorite towns, Newport, Rhode Island.









We enjoyed a scrumptious lunch on the patio at 22 Bowen's.  We've eaten there several times and have never been disappointed.




While shopping, I met this dapper gent from The Nantucket Bagg Company.  



These bags are great.  
They have over 30 compartments in them.



The bags have been sold to hold everything from tools to knitting supplies.



These would be perfect for all my makeup!
Of course, I would need about five of them, and that doesn't include my miracle creams, gels, masks, etc.
As I tell the Mister... it takes a village.




Newport was very busy due to the boat show. 
It worked out well - the boats kept the Mister occupied, while I got to shop.
I love it when all the planets are aligned.







If you're in town and need to bring home a cheap inexpensive t-shirt to the kids, stop here.  The owner is very nice, and he's got some great stuff. 





I was very excited to see the new (to me) Kiel James Patrick store.  I have followed Kiel and his beautiful wife, Sarah, on Instagram.  Sarah also writes the blog Classy Girls Wear Pearls.




These lovely ladies are August (l) and the store manager, Chrissy.  When I asked to take pics for the blog, Chrissy reminded me that she and her Mom sat in front of me when I was featured on the Meredith Viera Show.  By featured, I mean I was on-air for less than 90 seconds. 

Anywho, the ladies are standing in front of one of the darling dressing rooms.   



If I tried something on, I'd never come out.




If you love the classic, preppy look like moi, this store is for you!






When I looked at this dress, I thought of my #2.
She would look darling in it.







KJP has fabulous jewelry.  
I bought some pieces in the past on the KJP website as gifts for my girls and friends.



Meanwhile, the Mister ducked into one of his favorite stores.  I couldn't blame him, it had been a whole 40 minutes since we finished lunch!




Have I told you the Mister's mantra when it comes to dessert?
Go BIG or go home.
He is holding a cupcake whirlie, which is a cupcake blended with soft serve ice cream.
All I can say is that it should come with a warning label.
It's that good.



He never gets that look on his face when he holds me!
It's lucky I'm not sensitive.
What a great ending to a perfect day. 



If you would like to read about my past visits to picturesque Newport, you can find them here, here, here, and here.




On Sunday, the Mister and I headed to the movies.  I did not know anything about A Simple Favor except who was starring in it.  I must say that I really enjoyed it and the Mister was equally pleased.  Coincidentally, we called our future bride and groom and they also saw it and liked it a lot.

Until next time...




Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

21 comments:

  1. Katie, I love that bag...more pockets for me to search in my purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bags look awesome! I think I need a few of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love Newport, stopped there while cruising a few years ago. I want to go back and stay a while. And, I'm all about organization but that bag may take it a little too far. :o)) So glad you are back from your blogging break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't watch awards shows, but I was quite please to see that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's star won!! We really enjoy that show! Looks like you had a great little get-away and I always love seeing the little shops you have discovered for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming town . . . I love all your dispatches from Newport! That whirlie ... oh my goodness . . . I’m scheduled to get on a flight to meet my Mister in San Francisco tomorrow and wondering what would happen if I (accidentally) boarded the wrong plane and landed in RI?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice trip! I'm interested in seeing A Simple Favor because the trailer looks so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a charming town - love all your photos. It sounds like that movie is a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...you had me drooling for the town and laughing along with you. I even watched the trailer and decided it's a must see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cupcake Charlie's - my favorite!! I will have to try the new Cupcake Whirlie.
    I have been waiting for a review of A Simple Favor - thank you. I grow suspicious when a movie bombards TV with ads before the movie opens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I just saw that darling Bennie and everything else vanished from my mind. Oh yes, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Haven't watched it but will now give it a try. Have you watched The Resistance Banker on Netflix? I'm wondering if it's worth watching. Love your Newport outing. Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to go to the KJP store. I have loved Sarah's blog and the Bennie, the Golden forever. I just wish I were still in my twenties so I could look good in her clothes:) Looks like a fun outing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a charming outing! Thanks for taking me along...so New England!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to spend a day. I would love to visit there, looks like my kind of strolling and shopping, not to mention the treats mister is enjoying. Enjoyed all the photos....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's a fun road trip! What a great day you had. Haven't been to Newport in eons and I'd forgotten how charming! Hope Chili survived!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Classic preppy look - yes to that! I have seen some insta posts from KJZp, but haven't looked at their website - but will. That dress with the palm trees that cute store worker is wearing is perfect for my Florida style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been following Kiel and Sarah and their business and blog for several years now. They are sweet and that baby is adorable!

    It looks like a wonderful day away. Glad both you, and the mister, enjoyed yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Mr. Nine and I are jonsing to get to RI one day. And to see A Simple Favor. What fun! Yep, I fight like the red one sleevy Ithink either. Splendid dress if had symmetry, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back, Katie! I've missed you over the summer! Your sense of humor never fails to put a smile on my face! Congratulations on your family's happy news. How exciting to be planning a wedding. I had something spectacular that happened to me, too - I became a grandmother for the first time. It's everything and more of what all grandparents rave about!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how fun we often find ourselves in Newport for a quick day trip too but I have never had a cupcake Whirlie... I must remedy that on our next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Newport - have only been there once. It would be fun to go back and head to some of the shops you mention, especially about the cupcake place!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, Newport...one of my favorite places! You really hit all the great spots in town. They have so many great stores there. I need to go back... Thanks for linking up again to Take Me away!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts