Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Magnificent Madison


Hello, dear friends.  I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend.  Ours is ending up on a high note because the sun is shining.  It felt like we had been in the trenches of the Nor'easter for days.

Last month, I spent some time in one of my favorite towns, Madison, Connecticut.   


For those of you who enjoy a little geography, here is a map.  Madison is located in the Southeastern corner of New Haven county.  It occupies a central location on Connecticut's Long Island Sound shoreline.  Jacques Pepin, the world-renown chef, calls Madison home.  I call it a slice of Paradise.

It was my second trip there.  Last year I met my old Convent of the Sacred Heart buddy, Madalyn, there for an overnight.  We had so much fun that we decided to make it a yearly ritual.  You can read all about it here.




We again stayed at the picturesque Madison Beach Hotel where you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves.  







All the guest rooms feature spectacular views of Long Island Sound.  They are very spacious with a large bathroom and are equipped with a fireplace.  The entire hotel was immaculate.




All the rooms have a terrace to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets.


At the forefront in this photo stands Annie, the concierge extraordinaire of the hotel.  We got to know her last year and she remembered us right away. And it wasn't because we got into any mischief or anything!  

Annie and her colleagues lend positive energy and a hospitable spirit to this charming hotel.   Thanks to their attention, every detail of our trip was smooth as silk.



Madison Beach had me at hello.



I contacted my buddy, Liz, a couple of weeks before my visit.  I met her through one of my Sudbury Sweetheart friends, Laurie.  Liz moved to Connecticut a couple of years ago from Massachusetts.  She is a big Real Housewife fan and even went to the Countess' show on Martha's Vineyard over the Summer.  Needless to say, it was a most delightful lunch. 




Madalyn arrived in the late afternoon.  Later, we met for a few glasses of vino and dinner out on the terrace.  It was a gorgeous evening, and the place was hopping.  We did a lot of catching up and met some nice ladies that lived in the area.


The next morning we had a scrumptious breakfast.  Our buddy, Annie agreed to snap this photo.  We took our usual oath... what is discussed in Madison stays in Madison. 

Madalyn took off back to New York, and I headed towards my favorite shop in Madison.


Madison is such a cute town.



I haven't tried this cafe yet, but I won't miss it next time.


Great bookstore with an in-house cafe.



At last!  My favorite store, Maggie's.
















Maggie's offers full design services.



And here is the darling owner of Maggie's.
I bet you think her name is Maggie.
You would be wrong.
Her name is Gretchen and she is lovely.



I highly recommend a visit to Madison.
And if you come across my friends Annie and Gretchen tell them Katie sent you!

Until next time...



Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

15 comments:

  1. What a fun getaway. I am so glad you were able to do it again this year. What a fun place to visit. My grandparents were married in White Plains which is not all that far away.
    Have a wonderful week,my friend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fav store looks like a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another fun time with friends in another quintessential New England town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about delightful. You are my New England tour guide. Yes to these charming getaways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am green here...even though I just got home from my trip! Love love the hotel, the shop where everything would go perfect in my home, and the fact that you got away with a girlfriend. Did you write a blog on the Countesses show? I am a fellow HW’s fan!

    Oh an yes we have had chilly temps. Thanks for visiting Katie. Hugs, Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming town, Katie! I can see why you love it so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a charming town! It's rare to have a hotel employee remember a previous visit...what great service. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for linking up with Hello Monday! Tanya - The Other Side of the Road

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a wonderful little village Katie! I really want to take some time on an East Coast visit someday. Usually I'm just passing through, but you've convinced me I need to stay a while! :) Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my very best friends (who was actually visiting me today!) lives in Madison. We love heading down to visit her. Such a pretty area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how to have fun Katie. What a lovely weekend and a beautiful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like this was a fun getaway! What a pretty place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a Fabulous getaway. The hotel looks amazing. I love places that really al composted their guests. I have never been, so I have enjoyed seeing it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this little adventure, Sis. Everything. Thanks for including the map. I was a bit blurry on that part of your world but no longer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I can see why you wanted to go back this year. I'd love to visit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous getaway that must have been! Girlfriend time is always the best! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts