Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dude's Favorite Apps


My good buddy, Dude, agreed to write a guest post for me.  She chose the subject of iPhone apps which I thought was a great idea and actually learned a lot (but don't tell her that)!

To refresh your memory of Dude's past contributions to my blog, you can find them here, here, here, and even here.


*****



With all the great apps out there you really don't have to tote too much around with you anymore...as they say, "there's an app for that"..... Banking , newspapers, organizers, music, etc.....here are a few of my favorites (and one "not so favorite"....)

iRead 
How many times have you forgotten your readers???? 


Well, as long as you have your phone then you can get by with this app  (it also has a built in flashlight!!!) Great for reading menus in dark restaurants!!!


Flashlight
....Love it!!  You never know when you're going to need a flashlight.....I love  the BSofA ( Boy Scouts of America) motto, "always be prepared," that includes always having a flashlight on hand!!!!




***








Tripit



If you're planning a trip this is an awesome app! It takes all your flight, hotel, etc. confirmations  and organizes them on the app....you don't need to carry hundreds of papers with you, it's all on your phone!










***

Flipboard

 Keeps you up-to-date with news feeds from social networks and websites. It can be customized to topics that you are interested in - mine are Style, Design , Food and Celebrity (gotta keep up on the latest....)








***














New York Subway Map
 
 Awesome...has zoom and station search features and let's you know about any delays. Great app for out-of-towners !












***

Shazam!


How many times do you hear a song on the radio and wonder what it is?  Well, there's an app for that ...and it's called Shazam!  Just hold  your phone up to the radio, press Shazam...and you'll have the song and artist info in seconds. Then you can purchase the tune on iTunes or check out the concert schedule for that artist (that's how I found out about JT's NYC concert schedule...and yes, I'm going!!!)  



Note... "JT" refers to Justin Timberlake and not my favorite, James Taylor. Guess Dude wants to win the award for "most senior audience member!"

***

Evernote


 A note taking/saving app. You can save photos, handwritten text, webpages (and I'm sure a lot more that I haven't explored yet). It also syncs between your phone, iPad and pc.





***

Stylebook

 Manage your wardrobe on your phone or iPad....imagine that! First, you have to photograph items in your closet or copy photos from store sites to form your "closet", then create your "lookbooks" from your " closet"....it takes  some time.... I haven't gotten too far in the process (maybe because I have to do a major closet edit....or as my babydaddy, Papa Dude calls my closet,"the warehouse".....) 


***

NY Times



                    "All the news that's fit to print" in an app!



C - The Collection
(New York Times Style app)


Since I'm a HUGE fan of the Style section of the NYT this app takes all the style articles, photos, and videos from  Sunday Style, Thursday Styles, etc. and condenses them in one place!!


***
Open Table 

 Check out new restaurants, make reservations, peruse menus and reviews....especially good if you're out of town and not familiar with the restaurant scene.




***

Virtual Binoculars

Not quite as good as the real thing, but  a great zoom lens right on your phone.




***

Google Catalogs

OMG, all the catalogs we know and love in one place and  they are NOT taking up all the storage in your house!! You name it, they're on the app.....J. Crew, Anthopologie, Barney's NY, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Wisteria, W. Sonoma  etc.,  etc (there are even some I've never heard of). As much as I may (occasionally) shop on line, I still love looking at the well-styled photos in the catalogs!



***
Weather apps


I'm torn  between TWC, The Weather Channel App ( Jim Cantore, infamous storm chaser) and the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) which I think just sounds more official...for me, it's all about the real time radar....it's a toss up... you decide.



Vs.




Mirror Zoom

  An awesome idea (one less item  to carry  around in my "extra large everyday tote")..... The only prob with this app is  that the mirror makes you look like you do on FaceTime on your phone......YIKES!!!!! Pretty scary!! I'm going to continue carrying around my old-school blurry mirror to make me feel better...



Note:  I would bet my bottom dollar that my #1 has this on her phone and it burns out her battery from over use!!!


Thank you, Dude for a great contribution to my blog!  Pretty soon I'm going to have to change the name of my blog to:
Dude's Buddy...
 the Empty Nester.


Hope y'all have a great day!


Dude's Buddy










Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I am going to have to try that stylebook app...good excuse to clean out my closet so I can photograph what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo great. I am bookmarking that, use some of these but LOVE the idea of shazam, how brilliant! And the mirror app! Of course not for me, but all those vain women out there...lol. Amazing how many apps there are, great info here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely not using that mirror app. I would be shrieking in restaurants and would probably get kicked out. I love the flashlight app. Use mine a lot. Will have to check out some of the others. Thanks for a great post. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to install the flashlight app.. my husband has it and it really comes in handy. We use it in restaurants to read menus! Also the weather app comes in handy ~ our weather is always all over the map.

    Hope you have a great day and thanks so much for sharing all these!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was amazed when my daughters first used Shazam. How does it work ?!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts