Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A sad post and a prayer.

I can't be funny today.  
I can't show you pretty pictures. 
I can't even end with an adorable photo of a dog.  

I am just sad.

One of my friends that I have had the privilege of knowing for about 8 years lost her youngest son yesterday.  Mason was 11 years old and died as the result of a peanut allergy.  The poor kid didn't go quickly; he went into cardiac arrest which led doctors to induce a coma. I can't imagine how painful it was for his Mommy and Daddy to watch their baby drift away.

My friend's name is Tracy, but I nicknamed her Ace.  I met her through tennis and she is the epitome of a Texas woman; larger than life - beautiful - a bit on the crazy side and not a mean bone in her body.  She had a serve that would make Nadal shiver,  thus the nickname "Ace."  

We are polar opposites - she is very athletic, 15 years my junior, and looks like a model for Tennis Magazine in her tennis dress.  I, on the other hand, look like an ad for AARP promoting "sensible" shoes. Nevertheless, when we first stepped onto the tennis courts, I knew we had a connection and quickly grew to love each other.

But, above all else... she loved her kids.

Ace and her husband relocated to Colorado about a year and a half ago.  We kept in touch via Facebook.  She frequently posted great pictures of her boys in the snow, soaking up every ounce of joy that Colorado has to offer.  I'd comment on her photos - she reciprocated.

And then, the other night, as I was scrolling down my Newsfeed, it was there.  A plea to pray for her beloved son, Mason.  Just a short day later the bing resonated in the kitchen notifying me of a new text. It was from a mutual friend of ours, notifying me that Ace's sweet, energetic, absolutely adorable son had lost his battle.

So tonight, as you are kissing your precious babies goodnight or saying your ritual prayer for your grown children and grandchildren, do me a favor: say an extra one for my buddy, Ace.  She's going to need every one that she can get.



Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

19 comments:

  1. Tears, and no words. Sending up prayers for the entire family and friends. I have a little one in my VBS class next week with severe peanut allergies. We do all we can to protect them, but sometimes it isn't enough. My heart aches for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Katie- I am bawling like a baby. Having lost a granddaughter a few years ago due to a hospital error I know that the heart never really heals from losing a child. God bless that family and I will be praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart just aches. I will keep your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how sad. I will definitely remember them in my thoughts and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will remember her and her family. There is no "good" day to lose a loved one, be it parents, spouse, or especially a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Kate....this gave me chills. How tragic, I simply cannot imagine. I will absolutely pray for her son and her entire family who are now left mourning his loss. A mothers worst nightmare. I know she must go on but there is no doubt in my mind that a part of mommy goes with them when they go up to heaven. I am so sorry and I will say a prayer for them. So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saying a prayer for this family. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers to this family - my God's light shine all around them in their time of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed reading your blog for the last month or so. I am so very sorry to read that Tracy lost her son and will keep their family in my prayers. My heart raced as I read the post...my daughter also has a life threatening peanut allergy. She is now 21 and a senior in college, but the worry about her accidentally eating a food with peanuts is constant. My heart aches for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the blog love! Always enjoy checking out new blogs - how heartbreaking for your friend Ace and her husband and their families. Thinking of you all. Tragic circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a heart ache. Please let your friend know that she has millions of prayers coming her way. I pray for her to have sunshine in her life once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sad. So many children suffer from this same allergy. Our prayers are with you all.

    Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so, so sorry for her loss- for your loss. So profoundly sad and I will absolutely pray, right now, for her and her family. Thinking of you Katie~ Hugs sweet one~

      Delete
  13. Katie, this just breaks my heart. That sweet soul is in heaven, but I am praying for your friend and their heartache. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. One does everything in their power to raise good healthy precious children. And it all goes because of a PEANUT! Words are inadequate. Praying for their family.. they will need a lot of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My prayers are with the family. How tragic to lose a child. There really are no words of comfort that can be given but to know her son has touched our lives and we pray for her family is something we can do for you and your friend during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your
    blogs really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. All the best

    Also visit my webpage ... correct weight for height

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this so we can wrap ourselves around this sweet mother as she enters a chapter no one should have to go through. You are such a kind and compassionate friend. I know she will be uplifted from your support!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts