Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Reading, Watching, & Listening



Hello, dear friends.  I hope that this post finds you well.  Things are a lot more lively around here since the Newlyweds have arrived.  Both are working all day so we don't see them much until dinner.



My #1 is working out of the dining room while AJ has set up an office in one of the bedrooms.

We are easing into our new normal and appreciate the company.
The only thing missing is our #2.  We talk to her frequently, and she joins us for dinner via Skype.

Any day that everyone is healthy is a wonderful day at our house.






I am a big fan of Anne Tyler's, and she didn't disappoint with her latest novel.  The story revolves around Micah, a self-employed tech expert leading a fairly ordinary, stable life.  Then his lady friend is evicted from her apartment, and a teenage boy shows up at his door and throws Micah's life into a tailspin.

With all that is going on in the world, this book was a lovely, calming force that I needed as well as appreciated.




Yup, Kristy did it again.  She wrote another fabulous novel depicting love, heartache, and sincere friendship.  Kristy has a way of inventing characters that I would really like to meet in real life.  Diana and Gray are two strong, independent women who face many of life's challenges and deal with them with grace.

Do you need to get away from all the sad news in the world?
Do yourself a favor, turn off the TV, and pick up this entertaining novel.  You'll thank me later.
It comes out on April 28th.




Two words:  pure escapism.




Which one is crazier?
Mom or daughter?
This book is one wild ride and kept me guessing until the bitter end. 






This book reminded me a little of the Dirty John story.
I thought it was pretty good but about 50 pages too long. 






I am listening to this thriller now.
So far, so good.








This novel is set in contemporary Seoul, Korea.  It tells the story of four young women making their way in the world that holds beauty to the highest standard.  




A grifter, her Irish boyfriend, and an heiress come together for the scam of the century.
It sounds pretty darn good to me.




Beth thinks that her Mom passed away from a car accident.  While cleaning out her father's house, she finds a diary of her Mother's, which proves that that was not the case. 

I enjoyed Things We Cannot Say, so I will definitely pick this one up.  Plus, I'm a sucker for a pretty cover.



This historical fiction novel tracks a German heiress on the run in post-WWII Germany.
If you enjoyed The Alice Network, this one is for you.




I enjoyed Before We Were Yours so much. 
This is the story of three women searching for their families during the post-Civil War South. 
It comes out today.






This book has been compared to Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and A Man Called Ove.
Two of my favorite books.
Needless to say, it is loaded on my Kindle.
It comes out today.





Nothing makes me happier than to see that we have a new episode of Call The Midwife to watch.



We've been watching this fabulous show written by the one and only Julian Fellowes and loving every minute of it.




I know that I have come late to the party when it comes to Outlander.  To be honest, I have stayed away from the book and show because I am not a big fan of the time travel genre.  I started that first episode last week and genuinely enjoying the story.  




All I can say is fasten your seatbelt for the last episode of this show.  Ozark just keeps getting better.



They're baaaack!
I'm not sure how the new member is going to fit in.
This just may be the season that Dorinda goes off the rails.



New season/new facelifts.
Let the games begin!


Be well.

Until next time...



Linking up with:

Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

28 comments:

  1. Let us know what you think of Lisa Wingste’s new one.

    Unorthodox is a good four episode mini series based of a memoir of the same name.
    An Inspector Calls is a British mystery. Free on Amazon prime. Only 1 1/2 hours long.

    Finished Ozarks this week. Tried to watch Outlander once but I also don’t like Time Travel.
    The English Game is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! I will keep you posted on Lisa Wingate's book. Thanks for the tip on Unorthodox. The Mister put it on our watch list. I get it about the time travel thing. I may like because the male lead is quite the looker. Stay safe and healthy!!

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to many of these new books. I'm adding them to my library reserve list now. I'm enjoying the new season of call the midwife, and want to check out the English game. Are you going to watch the new PBS WWII drama World on Fire?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the new book list! I cannot wait to add a few of these to my sheltering in place list. Have a great day! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad #1 has arrived. I know just having them close is good for a mama's heart.
    I need to come to your house for better TV viewing. I usually let the hubby just choose and stitch away. Whatever! He drew me in couple years ago with Stranger Things which certainly wasn't my normal viewing fair, but so much happened that if I didn't put down the hoop and pay attention I would be lost and he has a strict don't ask policy. Well, he did it again with a horrible choice especially in light of coronovirus. He started watching Narcos and it has subtitles so I have to watch to know what is going on. It is violent and lots of things my eyes don't like to see, but I am drawn in. It is horrible to thing what the drugs did to our youth and utterly horrible those people are. And there I am watching it. It doesn't soothe my soul at all. I may take over the TV after this one!
    Take care Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved And They Called It Camelot! I found myself googling the jewelry and dresses as I read it.

    Loving Call the Midwife as well as World on Fire. I am looking forward to the second season of Liar on Sundance Wednesday night.

    Thanks for the recommendations. Stay Healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon... I had no idea that Liar was having a second season. You made my day!! The Mister just added World on Fire to our watch list. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you enjoyed And They Called It Camelot. I found myself googling through it as well. Especially the jewelry. Stay healthy!

      Delete
  6. So glad they are able to stay with you, and I love the idea of "sharing" dinner over Skype. I may have to incorporate that idea with my mom! I've also set up a workspace at my dining room table- I prefer the lighting and more open space.
    Little Secrets is on my radar, and I hadn't heard of Darling Rose Gold but it sounds great! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Love Story of Missy Carmicheal- it sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, when I saw that Janelle Brown was the author of one of your books my first thought was the Sister Wives Janelle had taken up writing. lol So glad your children are home with you. I know it is much safer and nicer than being cooped up in an apartment in NYC. So strange to see pictures of empty streets there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie,
    Camelot, Housewives and The Midwife. I
    am all set. Thank you for the reminders/recommendations. Y’all stay safe and be well.
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know about this Julian Fellows series, will definitely have to check it out. We just finished Virgin River and what a great series except that it's the first season and the second won't be out until Nov. Also, Self Made is quite an interesting true story. Stay well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I loved The English Game!!!! I need to order Kristy's book as i loved her others .
    My daughter has moved to Dedham, Mass I havent seen her in 2 months now because of this virus . I miss her and look forward to learning about the Boston area! xo Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. We loved the English Game and the Outlander series is one of my top five favorites. I've read all eight books and can't wait for #9 to some out. There are 10 promised in all. You really should read the books. The series follows the books well but (as true always) so much gets left out of the films. Thanks always for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great suggestions here, Katie! This season of Ozark was my favorite ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very happy your kids are able to be with you, and I know you wish #2 could be as well. I'll be heading out to pick up a massive grocery order today, armed to the max. I was a barber on Monday and a tax accountant yesterday. And I'm tired of being the cook and head bottle washer every day. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m a big book Outlander fan, so only love the show sometimes, but it really is good if you don’t compare it too the books. Call the Midwife - thanks for the reminder!

    Missing my girls today - happy you have at least one with you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Ozark! I agree it is better than ever this season. I need to add call the midwife to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure you are enjoying your kiddos being home, even if you do't see them until dinner. Just knowing they are there has to be so comforting. But, I know you miss your other daughter. Taking notes here on books and series. I want to check out The English Game, looks divine for stay at home time! Take care and be safe Katie.........

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see YOUR BEAUTIFUL daughter uses THREE BOOKS TO ELEVATE her computer..........I USE ONE!
    MAYBE I NEED TO RE-THINK THAT!
    SO MANY BOOKS..........SO MANY GREAT SHOWS TO WATCH JUST WISH THE ITALIAN WOULD AGREE!
    YOU HAVE ONE GUESS!WHO USES THAT WORD GREAT IN EVERY PERSONAL APPEARANCE HE DOES?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you have most of your family at hand and that they are out of NYC. I always love your book recommendations. And I, too, am so glad that Call the Midwife has returned. Isn't The English Game good? We have another one or two episodes to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have such GREAT book suggestions! I pinned a bunch of these so I can remember the next time I'm looking for another one to try (right now I'm trying to read a bunch of the ones saved on my Kindle).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the book recommendations - am getting through lots and always looking for new reading! Thanks for joining #WowOnWednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, I need something new to read. You like many of the same shows I like. Enjoy your daughter and hubby under your roof...jealous...Janey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting book list. I think the only one I'm familiar with is Rose Gold. And I haven't read it - sounds creepy! Thanks for sharing, and take care of you & yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed Before We Were Yours and am looking forward to reading The Book of Lost Friends as well! I found your blog through Show Us Your Books. I absolutely love your home (I browsed around your blog and found the home tour!). WOW! You have incredible interior design skills! It looks so inviting and retains a lot of the charm of an older home while also having a contemporary feel. Absolutely beautiful!

    Here are my March book reviews if interested! https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2020/03/march-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had no idea Anne Tyler had a new book out. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That regret of not getting what you so desire
    and want in life.
    That's exactly what happens to people most times
    when they look at opportunities eye to eye till it
    slips through their fingers.
    You'd be wishing you made the right choice earlier.
    Before I got the last privilege to hit the blank ATM card that is capable of hacking into any ATM machine in the world.
    Remember when I tell you that I had gone under many financial challenges in life. So if this opportunity is for you
    and you wish to grab it fast, well, it's always a big win for
    you then.
    I have a massive success story on blank ATM card hacking.
    I am telling you again right now and don't let the regrets
    be yours, make use of your initiative now and thank me later. 
    I will be providing some of my accolade;  as a matter of fact, I can boast of hacking $10,000.(ten thousand USD) daily and it's programmed in such a way that it will not be traceable, it also has a techniques that makes it impossible for CCTV camera to detect.
    This testimony, offer, and opportunity is for any individual with the zeal or motive of making it in life. 
    Should you be interested in taking a spot and a very worthy
    opportunity,all you need is WhatsApp ‪+1 (405) 335‑4492‬ or e-mail oscarrandyhackers@gmail.com and you'll be guided to your success destination.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YouTube is in top fashion and in this lockdown length and nearly each person is checking one or the other channel. To boom the leads on your channel the just create your account with YTBPals and we will offer you all free YouTube views in no clicks. Additionally test armslist tri cities the first-rate fireamrms categorized armlist.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts