I hope that all is well in your world. As I mentioned in my last post, Miss Lucy, her Mama, and her Dada have been staying with us while their house is being renovated. The Mister is in New Hampshire visiting family. The trip has been planned for months, and it is killing him that he is not here for all the fun. He gets back tomorrow.
Here is a bird's-eye view of Lucy's lair.
She brought her baby to the neighborhood splashpad.
Lucy had so much fun that she took her Mama and Dada back for a donut picnic!
Somebody got into the family jewels.
I tagged along with Lucy and her Mama to Play Street Museum, which is minutes from our house. Lucy decided to take her outfit up a notch with the tutu.
Can you sense the Anna Wintour vibes?
A good time had by all!
Our little trendsetter... PJs & Pearls.
Finishing the day, like any other day, by checking the stock market.
Here is a list of my 4- and 5-star books that I enjoyed over the Summer.
Out 9/29
I have read all of Grisham's books, and in my humble opinion, The French Illusion is his BEST! I went into this one cold, not knowing anything about the story. The first pages were so full of suspense that I had to catch my breath. And the twists and turns just kept coming. The characters are well-drawn and relatable. I thoroughly enjoyed the romantic twist, and the ending was perfection!
Fun fact: there is not a single courtroom scene!
I was 10 pages into the book when I searched for every book by Boo Walker and promptly downloaded them all. I didn't even look at the description. The English Bookstore in Bologna is a warm, charming story about a bookstore that is the hub of Bologna. The writing is enriched with quirky, well-meaning characters. I finished listening to the last words with a big old smile on my face. The narration was aces!!
Fun fact: the Mister loved it too!
Otis and Rebecca meet as teenagers and fall madly in love. Otis' father had big plans for him, beginning with a college education. When seventeen-year-old Otis takes a tour of a vineyard, he knows that this is his destiny. Otis ditches college and marries Rebecca, and then gives 100% of his energy to learning and working on a vineyard.
The story follows the marriage of Otis and Rebecca from beginning to end. Like every marriage, it is filled with ups and downs.
I cried a bucket of tears when I finished it.
Sunlight Finds You is a warm and heartfelt story about love, healing, and finding hope when life takes unexpected turns. Nora, who is a teen from the wrong side of the tracks, falls for nerdy, quiet Leonard who happens to be from a wealthy family. The parents come home one night and find Nora and Leonard in his bedroom. They misunderstand the situation. Within minutes, Nora is thrown out, and Leonard is forbidden to contact her.
This is the story of true love.

Out on 3/2027
Spoiler alert: I have read all of Cavanaugh's books and have loved every one of them. I felt like I was back with the old gang again. Eddie, Bloch, Lake, Harry, and even a few cameos of Clarence. This page-turner revolves around the murder of a woman who was fooling around with a wealthy, well-connected married man. The accused is the scorned wife who is seen on camera entering the victim's building. She walks out with a gym bag with a presumed souvenir... the victim's head. Just when you think there is no way Eddie will get his client off, that is when Eddie is at his best.
Spoiler alert: I am a big fan of Beatriz Williams. I have read all of her books and enjoyed every one of them. This is a historical romance about two women, separated by decades, whose lives become connected through a complicated family secret.
This one is really good. It's a psychological thriller that centers around a mother desperately trying to prove her daughter is innocent of a brutal murder. The victim is a friend's husband. This is a great one for a long flight because you will not want to put it down.
Breathing Under Water is a beautifully written and emotionally moving story about love, loss, and finding the strength to move forward. McKenna, an overwrought teen with adult problems, is facing homelessness for a multitude of reasons. She is also a very gifted swimmer with Olympic dreams. She comes up with the idea of teaching autistic children to swim, which opens the door to new people and a couple of sticky situations. I found myself rooting for McKenna through every lap.
The Truth About Ruby Cooper is an emotional story that explores how the truth can change everything. It is a touching and engaging story about family, secrets, and the complicated bonds between mothers and daughters. I am a big fan of Liz Nugent, and she did not let me down with this page-turner.
Promise Me Never is an emotional and engaging story filled with secrets, complicated relationships, and unexpected twists. An aspiring writer meets a much older, famous Horror novelist, a recent widower. They fall madly in love. They marry, and the novelist becomes moody and distant.
I am a huge fan of Liv Constantine, and I look forward to many more by this talented author.

This is a fast-paced, suspenseful thriller with Lapena's signature twists and turns. As always, the author does a great job creating tension and keeping you guessing about who to trust. The story moves quickly and makes for an entertaining, easy-to-read mystery.
Courtney and her family are vacationing with her sister and family. One night, she is awoken by a blood-curdling scream. The next thing she knows is that her beloved sister and BIL are found murdered in the next cabin. Meanwhile, her niece is missing, and her nephew is sound asleep upstairs. I'd like to tell you that I figured the whole thing out, but unfortunately I'm not that bright.
After being best friends in college, one friend disappears for years, then resurfaces as a successful trad-wife mega-influencer. This one is an interesting read with likable characters. I liked this a hundred times better than Yesteryear.
Interesting story as a family falls apart. April and Leo flee their home with their children during a house fire, which was accidentally sparked by a family member. This one was good, but I liked the author's first book better.
I have read all of Emily Giffin's books and enjoyed every one of them. Love You More is the story of having it all one minute, only to realize you are missing the one thing that matters most. It centers on rekindled love and complicated choices. It would make a great choice for a book club.
This story centers on Caroline Lash, a young writer who arrives in the seaside town of Greenhead, Massachusetts, and falls for Van Whittaker, a longtime member of a tight-knit group of childhood friends. Years later, they are reunited after her father dies. They are both in committed relationships. They realize that there is still the undeniable spark that never dimmed.
This domestic thriller is a true nail-biter. Gretchen appears to have the perfect life: wealth, an incredibly charming husband named Richard, and three children. Richard leaves New York for a climbing expedition on Mount Kilimanjaro with old male friends. A female artist named Frankie joined the group. Richard is an insatiable flirt and enjoys his banter with Frankie. Two weeks after their return, Frankie is murdered. I could tell you who did it, but then I'd have to kill you.
Ann Patchett did it again.
A true masterpiece.
If you like emotional, multi-generational novels with family secrets, strong female characters, historical settings, and themes of forgiveness and healing, this book is for you!
I am a big fan of Jo Piazza, and she did not let me down with this page-turner. This wonderful read is a dual-timeline mystery/thriller centered on art, family secrets, and Vincent van Gogh. It is an intriguing story with a heartwarming conclusion.
This is set in Oxford, Mississippi, in 1933, during the Great Depression. It follows three women whose lives unexpectedly become intertwined. I truly enjoyed this story; however, I felt it was a little too long.
I am also a big fan of Lisa Jewell. Many years ago, a woman named Jane had a terrifying encounter at an aging estate. She was able to escape and always thought that if she hadn't been that lucky, she would have been murdered. Fast forward twenty-five years, and she comes across a lost dog. Its home is that same estate. As with all Jewell's books, it is fast-paced and has an intriguing premise.
Jodi Picoult is another favorite author of mine.
This debuts today, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.
Did you read any good books over the Summer?
Leave a comment - I would love to hear about them.
You girls are too much fun. Lucy is a hoot, loved her accessories. She has to come and deck me out. Missy Lucy do you have any openings? I can see the trio had the best time in spite of Grandpa being out of town. Lucy has a gorgeous smile, it's too bad she is so awkward in front of the camera. :)
ReplyDeletePJ’s, Pearls and the stock market…..leads to a very smart gal! And Lucy….The more pearls the better, don’t listen to Coco!!!
ReplyDeletePJ's and Pearls...a perfect combo, Miss Lucy is wise beyond her years! I love house renovations because we get more photos of the prettiest little girl in Texas! 🩷 Give her some ooo's for me KTG
ReplyDeleteKeep the Lucy pictures coming. I have never heard of Boo Walker - thanks for the recommendation!
ReplyDeleteJune Baby and Dear Debbie were my 5 star books this summer. MJB
ReplyDeleteLots of great reading picks, Katie!
ReplyDeleteLittle Miss Lucy is getting so tall! She is absolutely adorable and looks like a lot of fun! So nice that you are getting some bonus time with her, #1, and AJ while their house is being renovated. Appreciate the book recommendations and have requested some through our library. Whistler was a favorite read of mine this summer. I also enjoyed Lisa See's Daughters of the Sun and Moon. Agree that Calamity Club was too long but I really liked it. Glad that you are back after your summer break.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love your sense of humor! Thank you for the book recommendations too!
ReplyDeleteI gave up on John Grisham books a long time ago- but now I have to try that new one. I always look forward to your book reviews!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like Miss Lucy has a bevy of the most delightful toys, books, and dolls & accessories!
ReplyDelete