Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Non-Traditional Hodgepodge



Hello, dear friends.  The day is finally here.  Both girls are arriving for Thanksgiving, God willing.  I haven't told the pups yet, I don't want to come home to a house torn apart due to their excitement. 

Our #1 will be the first to arrive.  The Mister is scheduled to pick her up at the airport, and I will meet them for lunch in Beantown.   Our #2 arrives later, and the Mister again picked the short straw and is assigned to airport duty.  
I'm sure the airport won't be in the least bit busy today.


You know the drill... if it's Wednesday, it's time for Hodgepodge.










1.  Tradition... how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations?  For instance, do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2PM, etc.?  Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family?  How did that feel?

We have lived far away from relatives for almost all of our family life.  Over the years, we have established our non-traditional traditions.
  

The girls usually catch up on their beauty sleep on Thanksgiving morning. 



We then sit down for a big breakfast that includes 
 my world famous, homemade coffee cake.
The recipe has been passed down for generations.
We then go to a movie which had been voted on and debated weeks before.



That evening, we indulge in 'tails and d'oeuvres, overstimulate the hyperactive hooligans, and supervise the Mister's cooking which is whatever meal that won the vote the week before.  

Btw... we never have turkey because none of us like it.











2.  Help... is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer?  How is that a good/bad thing?



It is extremely easy for me to ask for help, even when my requests are welcomed with a disappointed frown and a subtle roll of the eyes.  
It's lucky that I'm not sensitive.

It's a good thing for me to ask and not so good for the guy who has to help me.  He spent a total of nine hours setting up my new computer last weekend.

I told him that it's good for him -
it builds character.

Enter:  another eye roll.




3.  Abundance... what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?





We have an abundance of quirky kitchen utensils and complicated gadgets.  
I have no idea what most of them do.




4.  Name the smallest thing you're thankful for?  the biggest?


Besides my family and friends and our good health that we have been blessed with this year,

the smallest thing that I'm thankful for is:




Radiators.


When I looked at our house for the first time, I could practically see my breath, the house was so cold.  I then spotted the radiators.  The agent explained that the owner was very frugal and that was the reason for the arctic chill.  I told the Mister that I didn't believe her and that I thought that the house had a major (big bucks) problem with the heating system.  

The inspection proved me wrong.  
All was well with the heating in the house.

So, on this cold, rainy morning I am sitting in my home which is as warm as toast and very grateful for our radiators.




And the biggest thing that I am thankful for is:



that I'm not married to him.





5.  Key... what do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?






6.  State your own random thought here.



Have you heard about the new craze tiny food?  I watched this segment last Sunday on my favorite TV show, and I was enthralled.

While I watched, a fabulous idea popped into this old noggin of mine.  What about the tiny food diet?  I could eat this entire cake and not gain a pound.

Will you come to my book signings when I become a world-famous diet cookbook author?

I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  When I count my blessings this year, my blogging friends are in my top five right before Bravo TV, Photoshop, and Whole Foods Caramel & Sea Salt Gelato.  



Until next time...






Chowdah and Chili got a surprise in the mail yesterday.  Beemie, who writes the blog, A Milkman's Daughter, sent them several darling bandanas.  Beemie has an Etsy shop called Beemie Bags which not only carries the doggie accessories but also adorable clothes for American Girl dolls.






Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

31 comments:

  1. AMEN to the tiny food diet!!! Oh my cuteness, I am mesmerized by miniatures. Can you imagine a mini turkey!!!! Yay to the sweet girlies in da house!!!!!! Bet they love coming home to their mother and father's brilliance, talent sand love! Happiest of Thanksgivings to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be first in line when you become a famous diet cookbook author! So excited you have your precious girls coming home. Wishing you all a happy, happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post- funny, yet warm! And I too am very glad I am not married to CR, or any of his fellow creeps.
    Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Katie. I know having your girlies home will make it the perfect Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud about the radiators! My mother-in-law's house here in the deep south has radiators and I've been known to wear shorts to her house in the middle of winter because once those things get going - whew!!!! WARM is an understatement. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that tiny cake? Adorable! I am always fascinated by miniature food (even inedible).

    Hope you'll have a wonderful Thanksgiving. So glad your girls can be home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hooligans are the CUTEST!! About those kitchen gadgets, I recognize the cheese slicer, wire whisk, corn holder, but have no idea about many of the others! I like the idea of tiny food. I'd like a tiny carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or a tiny pumpkin cheesecake or a tiny (many popping to mind!) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your darling girls! (and the Mister, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answers to the Hodgepodge!

    Katie, enjoy your sweet girls and time together as a family! I love that you have your own traditions! The main point is to celebrate being Thankful for our blessings, and I love that you do it in your own way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I am not the only one who doesn't like turkey. I am not a fan at all. I go meatless at Thanksgiving, but I eat all the Southern casseroles that are full of stuff not good for you. I figure once a year I can indulge.

    Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Write the book! I need the tiny food diet now!!!
    We traditionally pardon the turkey and have something of the chef's choosing, but not this year. Have you heard of Heritage turkeys? Expensive! Thanksgiving is at a friend's home this year. A committee planned the menu! A Heritage turkey it is, and my chef is in charge of baking it. He who never bakes turkey. 😏
    Enjoy your movie, and non-traditional meal with those two darling daughters. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will you be sharing your heirloom coffee cake recipe? :-)

    Thank you for bringing a smile to me this morning. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too many gadgets in the kitchen is also part of my over abundance in the kitchen. I love all your un-traditional traditions for Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your beautiful girls and the sweet dogs all decked out! Your kitchen is charming with the blue on the windows and yellow flowers on the windowsills. I remember radiators from grade school. And the tiny food? One would never be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will definitely come to the signing!
    I have been lurking and reading, but life has been complicated, so commenting has gone by the wayside.
    Turkey? I love, love, love the smell of a roasting turkey, all the sides, and the leftovers. I am just not a big fan of the actual roast turkey itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dearest friends, Katie,the Mister, beautiful #1 and #2, and sweet doggies
    I hope that by the time this reaches you, you are all together safe and sound, and girls I know how very much your parents have looked forward to this special day.
    God bless you all, and a very Happy Thanksgiving. Aside from good health and family, the greatest gift I have ever known is the love of friends. Whether near or far, I give thanks for friendship every day.
    Katie, you bring so many of us together through your blogging friendship, your warm and witty words.
    Thank you as always, you are such a joy.
    And my dearest love to you as ever
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, thank you for your lovely words. They are very much appreciated. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  15. Katie , I am with you on radiators! NE needs them in older larger homes. But I have to say I am more than disappointed in CR. CBS am was my last holdout on actually news reporting. Nora and Gale do a good job and I do hope this event will not set them back. It is way past, What was he thinking? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a very happy day with your beautiful family. We all have so much to be thankful for. I so look forward to your posts and hope someday we might connect - possibly on one of your visits to NYC. Wishing you the best this holiday season. Regards, Cathy in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your holiday sounds awfully nice and I'm very glad you didn't get the short straw! tails and dóeuvres is right up my alley and so is being together with those you love.

    Sending holiday joy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never heard of tiny food, but I am sure I could eat quite a few of them!! Have a great holiday weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love our radiators, too!!! I know what you mean about too many gadgets.. great photo!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How funny, tiny food, a great idea!Sounds like a fun time as you celebrate with your girls. Enjoy and I'll look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That tiny cake is too cute ! If I stopped at just one a tiny food diet might work : ) Enjoy your non-traditional traditions and having your girls home! I am missing mine this Thanksgiing but thankful we were all together last week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoy your holiday weekend with the girls! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Thanksgiving Katie, your non traditional plans sound like fun! We always gather somewhere, eat turkey and traditional things. Right now I am listening to my 5 yr old grandson play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on his violin...I think I will be grateful when violin practice is over...:) Have a fabulous weekend with your family!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy TGV! We have so much in common -- we are also always turkey-less. This year it is lamb chops cooked by my man on the charcoal grill. I also love radiators; we had them in my childhood home and they kept us toasty. The old furnace was an Arcola coal burner! (not politically or environmentally correct any more) Who on earth would want to be married to THAT! Not me. Thank god for Pillsbury, right? I am now off to make a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the quote and couldn't agree more. PLUS, I've never known of anyone other than moi who does not like the traditional Turkey fare today. I'm sending everyone who has ever chastised me about this your post. Have a wonderful time with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have your girls, I have my boys and I'm so very thankful. Happy Thanksgiving.........

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have an entire drawer dedicated to items which only Hubster know the contents and how to use. I am very thankful he knows how to use the items. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The famous Chowdah and Chili look amazing in the festive holiday wear. Thanks for the plug to my little etsy shop that keeps me sane. Enjoy the rest of the weekend with the girls...my son-sters departed today after an early morning of black Friday frolics. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tiny foods?! I've never heard of it! But you're right, you could eat a whole cake and not gain a pound! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't remember our Thanksgiving, Sis. No, the forgetfulness is not due to early onset (I hope) but because it was weeks ago now! As to your book tour, hmmmm. Maybe we could tour together? Sounds like a great idea! Off to write.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts