Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Back on Track with Hodgepodge

Hello, dear friends.  It feels great getting back into the swing of things.  Thanks to all who have welcomed me back to blogland.  I hope that y'all are enjoying the last weeks of Summer.





1.  Are you watching the Olympics?  Your favorite summer Olympic event?  I read recently a list of the most iconic Olympic moments in history... what stands out in your mind as a great moment from some past summer Olympic games?

Bravo is covering the Olympics during the day and has nothing but reruns on in the evening, so what else am I going to watch?   Sorry if I sound crabby; I'm going through Housewives withdrawal.



I find the rowing very relaxing to watch.  
It is almost hypnotizing to watch the synchronized oars hitting the water.


No matter how early in the day or how many hours of sleep I enjoyed the night before, it always makes me want to take a nap.

People, rather than moments, stand out in my mind when recalling past Olympics.



I wanted to be her.




I sported her haircut.





I was just full of myself with my new 'do.
Btw... that's my first husband.




I wanted to date him. 





2.  Have you ever been to Rio?  How about the place it all started - Greece?  Have you ever been to any of the Olympic games in person?  Is that something you'd like to do?  Have you ever met an Olympian in person?





I have never been to Rio.  I have been to Santorini.  Or rather, I looked at Santorini.  I chose to stay on the cruise ship because I have a fear of heights.  Just one of my laundry list of issues.



The rest of the gang made the voyage except one.  Can you guess who stayed back on the ship with me?  




3.  The ball's in their court (tennis), cross the finish line (track and field), on target (archery), make a splash (diving),  on a roll (gymnastics), out of one's depth (swimming) ... which Olympic-related idiom best applies to your life right now?  Explain.





How about out of one's depth with photoshop.
My poor photo teacher should be canonized.




4.  What have you earned a 'gold medal' in recently?





Sometimes, I think I deserve a gold medal for patience when dealing with a certain member of the family.





5.  What is it (or who is it) that motivates you to eat right, exercise, and do what can be healthy?


That's my problem!  
I need a mean ol' personal trainer to keep me in line.
That's me by the way.  Photoshop is a miracle worker.




6.  Are you young at heart or an old soul?  Explain.



Although these four individuals have given me plenty of gray hair along the way, they are responsible for keeping me young at heart.



7.  It's National S'mores Day (August 10th) ... are you a fan?  Will you celebrate with a s'mores today?


everythingcoastal.com


You bet you're Fluffernutter, I'm a fan.  

Unfortunately, no plans to indulge but the day is still young. 



Insert your own random thought here.



The Mister was away for the past couple of days on business.  I used the free time constructively to watch the entire latest season of Veep.  This show is not for the faint of heart.  It is politically incorrect, peppered with naughty curse words, and is wickedly funny.  

I told you I was shallow.

What's your favorite Olympic Event?





Until next time...


    

Castlewelt.com
Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

29 comments:

  1. I love your doggie olympics picture! Now that's coverage I would watch! All dogs would be winners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, It's hard to think about eating right when I know it's National S'mores Day! I could probably live on them for a day or two! My last trainer (last year) worked me so hard I fainted and they took me off to ER because they couldn't revive me. Doctor said, and I quote, "tell him he needs to tone it down." So I took the Doc's advice as a good excuse to quit exercising. I've been to Greece but not to Rio, but my kids are both going in November for a wedding. Do you think I wake up at night hyperventilating about that? I had the Dorothy Do too, and I was dating an ice hockey player in college at the time. He was a bit too excited about it. ~~ btw, a few grays are worth it for those four happy faces ~~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santorini! I can handle the heights but the boat ride getting there is often what does me in. My hubs has been to Brazil (Sao Paola, not Rio) and said the traffic is not to be believed. Mark Spitz! Who didn't want to marry him in 1972?? I remember he wanted to be a dentist. I wonder if that happened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post!! I haven't seemed to care about the Olympics as much this time as usual. My husband is stuck on it though. He seems to really admire the weight lifters and I just don't get it.
    You are the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egh, no olympics for me. I mean their work is admirable but I need Bravo and not re run Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could win the gold medal for the cutest kids and dogs! Enjoy your s'more. 😃👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had the Dorothy Hamill haircut...I believe she still lives only a short distance from me ; however when I stalked, I mean spotted her in the grocery store I noted her cut has not changed slightly. For some reason, I haven't seen her out and about in a while.

    I hear eating chocolate helps with Real Housewives withdrawal.

    I have been to two Olympic destinations...Lake Placid 1980 (where I purchased a sounvenier ski cap...the family dog promptly chewed it to bits upon my arrival home) and Montreal 1976, where I purchased nothing because I had no money. Love your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Olympics are too long. And I think I missed the cycling, so gotta go for the gymnastics and the swimmers now... A fun hodgepodge, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just speaking to someone who took a cruise which stopped at Greece and they rode donkeys to get up the hillside! Would you have done that? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the gymnastics and the highlights of swimming, but tend to zone out in other sports! Am afraid I'm out of my depth in figuring out the cheer calendar (esp. when the coach waits til the last minute to inform parents!). My youngest granddaughter was (I believe) named after Dorothy Hamil! She's a cute little Dorothy! I must watch Veep -- I've been sneaking peaks at Hoarding and that show scares me!!!! Have a great week!

    FYI - Our Scottie's IG name is muffyboo040 and is maintained by my girl who is obsessed with getting a decent photo of the poor dog! :) Both are keeping me young at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you're "back in the swing of it" (there's my sport idiom) with blogging! I've missed your posts, and always look forward to Hodgepodge! I was so frustrated that Bravo is showing the Olympics in the evenings, too! What's up with that, Andy?
    I'm so girly...gymnastics and ice skating are always my favorite! I was a huge Mary Lou Retton fan and always loved Scott Hamilton, too! The USA gymnastics team has been so fun to watch this year. I mean, they're not Tamara & Vicky, but they're ok! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Hodgepodge answers.
    I am the woman asleep in the chair during rowing, when I am not horrified at thinking about the water!
    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy parts of the Olympics although I'm not at all athletic or competitive so it's all probably lost on me. I have enjoyed watching the Final Five win the gold. Are they not the cutest most amazing bunch ever?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you, Katie...love me some 'Housewives'! I think the OC ladies are my faves. Shannon seems to be stirring the pot a lot this season. Enjoyed your cute photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been watching as there isn't much else on. So proud of the men's synchronized dive team, and for their outspoken faith!! Impressive.
    Oh the haircut that was all the rage. I too sported the Hamil. We have had the pleasure of meeting many olympic figure skaters over the years as my girls were both competitive skaters for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual after a touch few days I can rely on you to bring a smile to my face!! xo K
    PS I had the hamilton hairdo too .not a good look on me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute answers.... Love those late 70's my best friend sported the hair as well... or maybe it is 1980... oh well,, it was an age ago...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love reading your Hodgepodge posts. ;-)
    I admit I'm not watching the Summer Olympics. It's the Winter Olympics that interest me. Love the ice skating. Sadly have not been to Greece, but we have been to Rio. It's not a place I'd ever want to return. Was not a positive experience for us. ;-(
    I have a friend who earned a Gold Medal for US basketball in 1960. It's special to see one of the gold metals.
    No gold medals for me.
    The scale keeps me in check, and I think of myself as young at heart. Think teaching and associating with younger people helps keep one young at heart. No daughters, but my nieces are dear to me. S'mores ~ yes, I'm a fan. I need to add the date to my August calendar. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh,my goodness, I completely forgot about Dorothy Hamill and Mark Spitz. Good grief, that brings back all kinds of memories. I had a Dorothy Hamill do as well.You always make me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great answers! I love watching the gymnastics and swimming, but I'm not getting a lot of sleep, lol. :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  21. Honest answer? I don't watch any of it. Beach volleyball and endless diving don't interest me. I like the winter games - hockey, skiing....more my style (well, if I had a sport 'style'!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this hodge podge post! We're watching a lot of the Olympics. I've met Michael Phelps. His mom, Debbie and I were best friends in high school. We were in each other's weddings way back in the 70s. Since we got busy many years ago with kids and careers, we don't see each other as much as we once did. We love those gymnasts....admire how precise and perfect the routines are. Plus they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WE watched women's VOLLEYBALL and some of the MEN's swimming last night!I enjoy watching it ALL, but doNOT run to turn it on!I would NEVER want to GO to see it in person.........too many PEEPS for me.YES!I have been to RIO!!In 1981................I am an OLD SOUL.But YOU know that.NO explanation needed.......
    PATIENCE with the LIVE IN................OH, YEH.I just got yelled at for the crap in mY OFFICE!ONe needs to be in the right mood to TACKLE PHOTOS and PAPERS from your MOTHER's house............I CANNOT DO IT ALL why does HE NOT get that!??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of course, rowing is top on our list followed by synchronized platform diving. It's hard enough to imagine hurling yourself off a height of 33 feet let alone twist and spin and lose sight of the water! And yes, we're experiencing Housewives withdrawal, too. :(
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the chuckles - I am also missing the housewives - I have Bravo on almost every night! I watch them and consider many to be good friends of mine. While in NYC last week I considered stopping by to see Sonya, but didn't have time to be waiting in her lobby for an hour....and Betheney was running her Empire...the Countess was busy planning her wedding (or as I call it "relinquishing her title" day)....so I just went to MC and dropped a few bucks!! Santorini is on my Bucket List - I guess I will take a donkey up the hill for the hell of it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This time without Bravo is just about killing me. I'm trying to get my fix by watching episodes of WWHL on demand but still... I love VEEP and might have to re-watch the season if I run out of WWHL. I found the finale of VEEP to be dark and confusing. I guess all will be revealed next season? Happy August!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for this post! I needed a laugh really bad! It's been a crazy day, and this made me smile! I hope that you have a great afternoon and a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. IT is nice to have you back for a laugh! I hope that you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts