Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Happy Birthday Erma

   Good Morning Everyone, 

The following was written by the late and great Erma Bombeck after she was diagnosed with a fatal disease.  






If I Had My Life To Live Over

by Erma Bombeck


If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ...

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and really see it ... live it...and never give it back.




Happy Birthday, Erma Bombeck! 


From one of your biggest fans,





Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

8 comments:

  1. She was a wonderful lady. And we can all learn something from those words she penned. Printing it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wise woman--and she had a great birthday date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words of wisdom, I really need to follows some of those and stop sweating the small stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this & love your blog! New follower ... new empty nester & new to the world of blogging! http://monogramsandmarthamoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What absolutely perfect wisdom! She was one of my favorites too. Have a lovely day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I won't go back and comment on each post I just got caught up on......so glad that you got new potties! The new bathroom is awesome. We have granite and have chipped it in several places, it's just the way it goes with that stuff. If I had to deal with all of that snow, my husband would be getting lots and lots of dirty looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can remember reading her work and just laughing out loud. She was a wonderful person and humorist. I still love the story of when she was asked to join a famous club of all-male comedians at the time, and they asked her what she could possibly bring to the table........hahaha,.... She did not use her celebrity to jump to the head of the line of organ donors, either..............The trashy "celebs" of today could all use some of her class..........

    ReplyDelete
  8. There has never been another like Erma! Thanks for sharing her words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts