Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Thanks for introducing me, Oprah

On Sunday mornings, I usually turn on  Oprah's Super Soul Sunday while I get ready for church. The show focuses on "my girl" interviewing authors that have written inspirational books.   

In March, Oprah's guest was Doctor Brene Brown, who is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate School of Social Work.  Doctor Brown has spent years researching the relationship between vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.  She has written three books, her latest being Daring Greatly, which I ordered within minutes of the show's ending.
  
 Dr . Brown by far wins the prize for the most interesting and provocative guest in this series.  She has a way of articulating the most common and elementary emotions that we all experience and administering great wisdom in every day language.  Dr. Brown presents herself as an unpretentious woman who possesses doubts and vulnerability sprinkled with a generous dose of humor. 

By the end of the interview, I wanted to call her up and ask her over for happy hour.  I would even let her bring her buddy, Oprah, along.

The highlight of the entire interview conversation was when Oprah asked Dr. Brown to read a page from her book.    

*****


The Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto

Above all else, I want you to know that you are loved and lovable. You will learn this from my words and actions--the lessons on love are in how I treat you and how I treat myself.
I want you to engage with the world from a place of worthiness. You will learn that you are worthy of love, belonging, and joy every time you see me practice self-compassion and embrace my own imperfections.
We will practice courage in our family by showing up, letting ourselves be seen, and honoring vulnerability. We will share our stories of struggle and strength. There will always be room in our home for both.
We will teach you compassion by practicing compassion with ourselves first; then with each other. We will set and respect boundaries; we will honor hard work, hope, and perseverance. Rest and play will be family values, as well as family practices.
You will learn accountability and respect by watching me make mistakes and make amends, and by watching how I ask for what I need and talk about how I feel.
I want you to know joy, so together we will practice gratitude.
I want you to feel joy, so together we will learn how to be vulnerable.
When uncertainty and scarcity visit, you will be able to draw from the spirit that is a part of our everyday life.
Together we will cry and face fear and grief. I will want to take away your pain, but instead I will sit with you and teach you how to feel it.
We will laugh and sing and dance and create. We will always have permission to be ourselves with each other. No matter what, you will always belong here.
As you begin your Wholehearted journey, the greatest gift that I can give to you is to live and love with my whole heart and to dare greatly.
I will not teach or love or show you anything perfectly, but I will let you see me, and I will always hold sacred the gift of seeing you. Truly, deeply, seeing you.


*****


I was late for Mass that Sunday because I had to re-apply my "waterproof" mascara.



Happy Tuesday!










Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - I love the way she puts #3. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awsome! I have it on my DVR waiting to be watched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie- I just wanted to show you what I get everytime I try to send you an email. I don't know if it is entered into you blogger wrong or what-but when you leave a comment this is the email address it goes to and this is the response I get- just thought you might want to know.

    Mail Delivery Subsystem
    1:18 AM (0 minutes ago)

    to me
    Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

    www.preppyemptynester@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a must read for all. When I have a couple of down minutes I'll be looking into her work and ordering her book!

    Have a great day~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check this author out.. the book sounds wonderful. Vulnerability, accountability, respect.. we all need lessons in these!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Katie. I will have to look into this book and see if I can record a rerun of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! I love SSS when I can get it on her website. I've had a few people recommend this book to me and I want to print this out to make sure I have it handy. Looking forward to lunch! My email is lillycneu@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts