Talbots for Spring

New Styles from Tuckernuck

Friday, December 14, 2012

Too Sad to Post

 
I have moved more times than I can count on both of my hands. But, I think we all can agree, there is a special place in our hearts for where we call "home." Where we planted our roots, from which our lives have stemmed and bloomed.
 
My "home" is Connecticut.  
 
I am still in utter shock at the events that took place at a small elementary school, not far from where I grew up.
I am certain that we are all on the same page with this and suffer equally for each and every person killed and the innumerable lives that each of them touched.
 
The children's parents have been on the forefront of my mind. The gifts that they no longer have to wrap, the removal of a place setting at the dinner table, and the personalized stocking that does not require stuffing anymore.
 
Not to mention the teachers, the principal, and the school psychologist; men and women who have dedicated their lives to brighten and enlighten children with their knowledge and kindness.
These people are the ones who go to Walgreens, their classroom debt nearing the value of the national deficit, and dip into their own life's savings for that pack of pencils that one of their students is not able to afford.
They are the ones that truly build character in each of the students that passes through their classroom. Where we, as parents, fail, teachers fill in the gaps, acting as interim parents.
I pray for these men and women. I also pray for the lives that they have had a hand in shaping and the ones who will never have the great fortune of learning from them.
I would just like to say: those who CAN do, with passion and brilliance, teach. 
 
 
As you sit here reading this take a moment, for me, and please appreciate where you are. Look at your family, take them in, allow that mental picture to be imprinted in your mind.
There are families in Connecticut that tonight, and from here on out, will never again be able to call their child down to sit across the table from them.
 
***** 
 
 
I asked #2 to help me write this post because my heart is so heavy.  She said it was "no problem" and sat down and composed this.  I am so proud of my girl and so very sad for the families in Newtown, Connecticut. 

Preppy Empty Nester
Preppy Empty Nester

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Feel free to contact me through comments and email. I love to hear from my readers!

4 comments:

  1. It's unfathomable. I imagine that God is weeping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. I too am heartbroken over what has happened, it is truly unbelievable. So shocking and devastating and I cannot stop thinking about it. All we can do it pray for those families who are dealing with unimaginable grief and hope that they will find a way to get through this incredibly dark time, I simply cannot imagine. My heart too is very heavy over this shocking event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all are a beautiful family! I couldn't write anything yesterday either. I'm glad you fought through it and posted something so special. It will be hard to think that every time I bring my babies to school when they're here I'll know something like this has happened before. I hope you have a great weekend with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post and it sums up so much of what we all are thinking. Heavy, heavy hearts...

    ReplyDelete

J. Crew

Recent Posts